27th January 2019
Number 26

Midweek Action

In Tuesday evening’s Premier Division fixture, Buckland Athletic made it three home wins on the bounce thanks to a thumping 7-0 defeat of Cadbury Heath. The home side made a stunning start to the game, going ahead inside a minute through Richard Groves, with Lloyd Gardner and Charlie Johansen then adding further goals before the break. Gardner then struck twice in the second half to complete a fine hat-trick, with Nick Rudge and James Moxon also getting on the scoresheet. 24 hours later, Westbury United came from behind to defeat Roman Glass St George 4-1 at Oaklands Park. Having seen their hosts take an early lead, Westbury responded well and managed to get themselves level at the break thanks to a long-range lobbed finish from Ricky Hulbert. In the early stages of the second half, Callum Demkiv fired United ahead for the first time, before Hulbert and then Will Stead added further goals to confirm the victory.

In the First Division, Cheddar suffered their first league defeat since August, going down to a 3-0 loss at the hands of Wells City. The game remained goalless until the closing stages of the first half when Jack Spence and Warren Mylum struck in quick succession to hand City a two-goal lead at the break. Ten minutes from time, Lewis Williams found himself one-on-one, and added a third for Wells to help them complete the momentous victory. At the Southfields Rec, Devan Bryan grabbed two second half goals to help lead Chippenham Park to a 2-1 victory over Radstock Town

Premier Division

Willand warmed up for next Saturday’s last 16 tie in the FA Vase by defeating Roman Glass St George 3-1 at Oaklands Park. Rovers made it five wins from five in the month of January thanks to a relatively comfortable victory in Bristol. Dean Stamp struck early in either half for the league leaders, with Josh Searle adding another penalty to his growing tally toward the end of the first half. Westbury United registered their third three points of the week following a 2-0 victory away at Wellington. In tough conditions, Callum Demkiv proved to be the difference maker, scoring twice in the space of five second half minutes to condemn Wellington to their first home defeat since the beginning of December. With a couple of games in hand on the top two, Bitton will still have more than realistic title hopes which were improved on Saturday afternoon following a 2-1 win away at fifth-placed Clevedon Town. The game turned in Bitton’s favour midway through the first half when Aysa Corrick and Josh Egan scored within three minutes of one another to give the visitors a two-goal lead. Syd Camper gave Clevedon hope of a comeback when he slotted home from the spot in first half injury-time, but a goalless second period followed which meant all three points would make their way back to Gloucestershire.

Bradford Town twice came from behind to defeat Bridport 3-2 in an entertaining affair at Trowbridge Road. After watching on as Braeden Symes smashed home a stunning effort, the home side managed to level things up on the half hour mark when Will Hailston finished well. Then, with the first half coming to a close, Bridport restored their lead through Declan Cornish, before a fine strike from Dan Cottle saw Town draw level once more midway through the second half. The winning goal came from 13 minutes from time, with substitute Reeko Best’s lobbed effort stopped just short of the goal, before captain Tom Stocks ensured the ball had crossed the line to give Bradford their first lead of the contest. Plymouth Parkway stormed to a 5-1 win over Cribbs in front of another healthy three-figure crowd at Bolitho Park. The home side took no time at all in forging ahead, with former Argyle youngster Aaron Bentley volleying them in front after less than 100 seconds. Cribbs responded quickly with Jason Vincent’s equaliser coming after six minutes, but that was as good as it got for the visitors who were behind at the break following a strike from Mike Williams. Parkway pushed on in the second half, and after Shane Krac had added their third, Krac then turned provider for Bentley who headed home his second of the afternoon before Adam Carter completed the scoring after capitalising on a defensive error. Shepton Mallet also scored five, overturning a two-goal deficit to defeat bottom side Shortwood 5-2 at the Meadow Bank Ground. First half efforts from Rendijs Kalnins and Jacob Nowell gave the hosts a shock advantage, with Shepton grabbing a lifeline in first half stoppage time through Francois Allen. Shepton then pushed on after the interval, and after Joe Morgan had drawn them level, top scorer Tyson Pollard struck twice before David Stone completed the scoring with virtually the last kick of the game. Buckland were another one of the six away sides to enjoy success in the Premier Division, with second half goals from Chris McPhee and Charlie Johansen handing them a 2-0 win over Odd Down. In Bristol, Hallen jumped from 16th to 13th in the league table after Caelen Simpson’s 87th minute strike gave them a dramatic 1-0 victory at home to Hengrove Athletic. There was also a 1-0 victory for Cadbury Heath over Brislington, with a late strike from Simon McElroy separating the sides at Ironmould Lane.

First Division

On Friday evening, Keynsham Town made it 12 league wins on the spin by beating Bishop Sutton 2-0 at Lakeview. The K’s had only played once in the month of January prior to Friday’s game, but they soon hit their stride and went ahead midway through the first half thanks to a long-range effort from Mike Grist. The final 15 minutes of the opening period saw a couple of flashpoints which resulted in a red card for either side and set up an intriguing second half. With 20 minutes left on the clock, Town put the contest to bed with Matt Brown firing home from the penalty spot following a reckless foul on Craig Wilson.

With their title rivals having picked up maximum points the night before, Cheddar were unable to return serve after drawing 1-1 away at Bishops Lydeard. The Cheesemen fell behind early at Cothelstone Road where it took home forward Harry Millar just six minutes to break the deadlock after he was played in by Jake Quick. Lydeard keeper Nathan Whatley made a number of smart stops during the game, and with a clean sheet in sight, he was finally beaten 15 minutes from time when Adam Wright managed to slide the ball home to salvage a draw for the table toppers. The Athletic Ground in Wells is proving a tough venue for away teams, with the hosts now having knocked off the 1st and 3rd place sides in the space of four days. Following on from their 3-0 triumph over Cheddar during the week, Wells backed it up magnificently with goals either side of the interval from Lewis Williams leading them to a 2-0 win over Chard Town. Following their top-seven battle, Corsham will have been the happier of the sides at Bremhill View having been reduced to ten men early on in their 1-1 draw with Calne. The visitors were down a man just 25 minutes into the contest when Jamal Chevolleau was given his marching orders for retaliating poorly to a challenge. That didn’t deter Corsham however, and just five minutes later they went ahead thanks to a smart finish from Josh Bright, only for Calne to hit back at the end of the first half through Mike Hill. The Lilywhites were unable to capitalise on the extra men during the second half and remain in fourth place, with Corsham holding onto seventh spot following their 8th draw of the campaign.

Ashton & Backwell enjoyed a big win over Chippenham Park, scoring three times in either half of their 6-1 victory at the Lancer Scott Stadium. Cal Townsend was very much the star of the show, scoring a treble for the hosts, with Joe Bishop, Sam Thomas and Harry Walker also finding the back of the net. The only slight blemish for Ashton came late on, when Tom McCulloch ended their hopes of a clean sheet, but it was Townsend who earned much of the plaudits thanks to his fine hat-trick. Welton Rovers secured a 12th league win of the season, with a bullet header from Joe Battrick followed up by a late dinked effort from Aaron Seviour to cap their 2-0 defeat of Devizes Town at Nursteed Road. It also proved to be a big day at the bottom of the table, with all of the bottom three gaining positive results. 18th placed Radstock gained ground on Sherborne thanks to a 4-2 victory over their relegation rivals at the Southfields Recreation Ground. After taking a fourth minute lead through Cory Rawlings, Radstock saw their lead cut following a Matt Day equaliser just after the half hour mark. The home side restored their single goal lead before the break through Finn Haines, before Ellis McDonald struck soon after the interval to double their advantage. Rawlings then scored his second of the afternoon to put the result beyond doubt, with Haydon Hodges grabbing a late consolation for Sherborne. 19th placed Portishead secured just a sixth league win of the campaign, holding off a gallant fightback from Warminster to prevail by three goals to two at Bristol Road. The hosts stormed into a three-goal half time lead thanks to a brace from Alex Chapman which came either side of a low driven finish from the impressive Robbie Cox. To their credit, Warminster battled back after the break, scoring twice through Jake Wright and George Butler, but it wasn’t enough and their five-game unbeaten run was brought to an abrupt end. 1-1 proved to be a popular result throughout the First Division on Saturday, and that was how it finished at Stockwood lane, with bottom side Bristol Telephones relinquishing a half-time lead against Oldland for whom Josh Williams scored their equalising goal. Two goals were also shared at Shellards Road, where Luke Bryan had put Longwell Green ahead, before Brett Cotterill struck an equaliser ten minutes from time for the visiting Wincanton side.


PDF Copy