9th December 2018
Number 19

Midweek Action

There were numerous knockout competitions taking place on what was a damp Tuesday evening, with varied success for the Western League sides. In the Les Phillips Cup, Cadbury Heath secured their place in the quarter-finals thanks to a 3-0 victory away at Ashton & Backwell United. The Premier Division side did all of the damage before half-time, with Matt Huxley scoring twice in the opening 20 minutes, before George Boon completed the scoring with a fine finish just prior to the interval. 24 hours later, Willand Rovers romped into the last eight with a 7-1 win at home to Odd Down. A six-goal first half laid the foundations for the one-sided victory, with Luke Mortimore bagging a hat trick for the hosts. In the Somerset Premier Cup, Shepton Mallet produced an excellent performance to defeat Yeovil Town 3-0. The visitors included plenty of youngsters in their line-up, and they proved to be no match for Shepton who won their second round clash thanks to goals from Kailan Gould, Francois Allen and James Billing. Hengrove were unable to join Shepton in the third round after they suffered a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Weston-Super-Mare. Another side who saw their cup run ended was Oldland Abbotonians, after they were beaten 7-2 by Bishops Cleeve in the Gloucestershire FA Challenge Trophy. There was better news in Devon, where a second half double from Shane Krac fired Plymouth Parkway to a 2-0 victory away at Elburton Villa in the second round of the St Lukes Bowl. 

FA Vase

Cribbs produced a stunning late salvo to defeat Saltash United 4-2 and book a date with Sholing in the fourth round of the FA Vase. Having taken a seventh minute lead from the spot through George Kellow, the visitors looked to be heading out of the competition when they found themselves trailing late on. Cribbs had other ideas though, and after Dan Spicer managed to force home a free kick to equalise eight minutes from time, the Western League outfit scored twice more in the final five minutes to stun their hosts. Cadbury Heath were unable to join Cribbs in the last 32, after losing a high-scoring contest at home to AFC St Austell. Sacha Tong struck three times in the final 20 minutes to finish the game with a hat-trick, but it was nowhere near enough for the Heath who eventually fell to an 8-4 defeat at the hands of their Cornish opponents.

Premier Division

Buckland Athletic produced an excellent second half performance at Homers Heath to claim a 5-3 victory over league leaders Bridgwater. The visitors made a flying start, going ahead inside two minutes when the ball fell to the league’s top sharpshooter Jack Taylor who finished well. Buckland were awarded a penalty at the end of the first half which Richard Groves converted, but their opponents responded instantly and took a 2-1 lead to the break after Jake Brown headed home Ian Bellinger’s set piece. A second equaliser came for the home side on the hour mark thanks to Chris McPhee, with substitute Jordan Ewing then turning the game in their favour 15 minutes from time. A couple of moments later, James Richards extended Buckland’s advantage, with Groves’ second of the afternoon capping a dominant 45 minutes from Richard Pears men. Westbury United now sit just a point behind Bridgwater after defeating Brislington 3-1. All four goals came in the space of 15 minutes at the end of the first, with Callum Demkiv’s quick-fire brace putting the home side in control. Sol Shearer halved the deficit not long after Demkiv’s second, with Josh Ferguson then restoring the two-goal advantage which was maintained to keep Westbury’s unbeaten run intact. Willand kept pace with Westbury, putting four past bottom side Shortwood United. Ben Bickle struck twice in the first half for Rovers, with leading scorer Luke Mortimore and David Steele also getting on the scoresheet. Syd Camper and Lucas Vowles played starring roles at St Mary’s Field where Clevedon Town claimed a 4-1 win against Bridport. It was Camper who got the ball rolling for Town, slotting home with his left foot inside the opening 20 minutes. Bridport had shown signs of improvement over the past couple of weeks, and they found themselves level at the break with Leighton Thomas grabbing an equaliser midway through the opening half. It was then Vowles time to shine, scoring twice during the second half, assisted once by Camper, before Archie Ferris wrapped up the victory ten minutes from time. Chipping Sodbury Town were another side to win away from home, with goals from George Box and Joe White helping them to overturn Joe Brimble’s opener in a 2-1 victory against Hengrove Athletic.

Bradford Town secured their first three points since the end of October after defeating Roman Glass St George 2-0. Jack Witcombe fired home to get the scoring underway at Trowbridge Road, before Matt Morris struck an unstoppable free kick to complete the victory. A missed penalty didn’t cost Odd Down who ran out 3-1 victors away at Wellington to bag their ninth league win of the season. The away side took just ten minutes to go ahead, with Kye Mountford heading home, before the chance to double their tally came and went with the penalty attempt coming back off the post. The Bath side put that behind them however, with their leading marksman Ash McGrane scoring soon after the interval to increase their lead. Conor Bryant reacted quickest to a loose ball in the box to hand Wellington a lifeline on the hour mark, with Jaiden Savery scoring Odd Down’s third to wrap up the points. Shepton Mallet are another side enjoying a strong season, and they claimed another home win against Hallen following some late drama. Kailan Gould has been in excellent touch of late, so it was no surprise when he opened the scoring ten minutes before the break, finishing well after a strong run. The visitors got back on level terms during the second period through Daryl Charman, but then in added time, Shepton extended their winning run in all competitions to four games after forcing an own goal.

First Division

Cheddar capitalised on Chard Town’s fixture being postponed, with their 2-0 win away at Longwell Green Sports moving them top of the table thanks to a superior goal difference. The three points weren’t easy to come by for the Cheesemen, with an early own goal all that separated the sides for much of the game before Adam Jones settled the game late on. Keynsham joined the top two on 38 points, with a solitary goal helping them see off the challenge of Devizes at the Crown Fields. The K’s have now won ten of their last 11 games, with their latest victory secured thanks to a headed effort from Dan Spill 15 minutes from time. In the game of the day at Hardenhuish Park, Chippenham Park conceded an injury time equaliser having earlier battled back from two goals down to eventually draw 3-3 with Wells City. With 12 places between the sides, it was no surprise when Wells ran into a 2-0 half-time lead with Mark Randall and recent signing Lewis Williams hitting the target. The home side were inspired after the break, and having score twice in their previous three fixtures, they went one better against Wells with Rhys Tamlash bagging a brace to add to a goal from Joel Smedley as they turned the game on its head. There was more drama to come though, and having seen their lead disappear, Wells found enough time to level things up in injury time with Randall salvaging a point for the Somerset side.

Calne Town now have ten league victories under their belt this season, with Stuart Windsor and Matt Hudson adding to an early own-goal during their 3-0 win away at Portishead Town. There was a stalemate at the Southbank, where Corsham drew a blank against Sherborne to slip down into fifth spot. Wincanton Town had no such trouble in front of goal, with top scorer Toby Dolton Cole claiming a double during their convincing 6-1 win over Bishop Sutton. Cole now has 14 league goals in what is proving to be a fruitful season for him personally, with Conor Williams, Brett Cotterill, Jamie Irwin and Patrick Golden all joining him on the scoresheet on Saturday afternoon. In a battle between two bottom half sides, Warminster Town claimed an important 2-0 win at home to Oldland Abbotonians thanks to goals from Martin Johnson and Jack Miluk.


PDF Copy