28th October 2018
Number 13

Midweek Action 

In the most impactful game of the midweek programme, Callum Demkiv scored the winner ten minutes from time as Westbury defeated Bitton 2-1 to move level at the top of the Premier Division table. In a matchup between two of the early season pacesetters, it was Bitton who went ahead during the first half thanks to a guided header from Dean Griffiths. They were unable to hold onto their lead however, and with half time nearing, an own goal helped the home side to level the scores. With a draw looking the most likely outcome, Westbury pushed on, and it was top scorer Demkiv who headed home the winner following a pinpoint cross from strike partner Jamie Jordan. Another comeback win on Wednesday evening saw Cadbury Heath recover from a two-goal deficit to beat Hengrove Athletic 3-2. Goals from Asa White and Mark Fear had given Hengrove a healthy buffer at the break, before the Heath fought back to level things up 20 minutes from time through George Boon and Matt Huxley. It was then left to Huxley to complete the turnaround, with the visitor’s star man slotting home an injury time penalty to hand Hengrove their tenth consecutive loss in the league. Tuesday’s lone Premier Division clash saw Cribbs claim a 3-2 win away at Brislington, with Jason Vincent finding the back of the net twice before the interval.

Adam Jones earned the headlines in the First Division, with his five-goal performance capping a thumping 8-0 win for Cheddar away at Oldland Abbotonians. After scoring a late equaliser on Saturday, Jones maintained his fine goalscoring form at the Aitchison Playing Field with a five-star performance, adding to further goals from fellow Adam’s Davies & Wright. 24 hours earlier, James Bayliss was the star for Wells City, with his hat trick helping to fire them to a 5-0 triumph at home to Bristol Telephones. Elsewhere on Tuesday, substitute Tiger Harris scored five minutes before the final whistle to lead Chippenham Park to a vital 1-0 win at home to Ashton & Backwell United.

Premier Division 

Westbury United remain unbeaten in the league this season after toppling Clevedon Town 5-3 at the Hand Stadium. Top scorer Callum Demkiv fired the league leaders ahead after just nine minutes, with an own goal then doubling their advantage a few moments later. Syd Camper led the fightback for the hosts, providing the assist for Lucas Vowles to head home, before adding their second all in the space of four minutes. Westbury went ahead after the interval through Ricky Hulbert, with Dan Kovacs’ penalty putting them two goals to the good once more. Camper’s set piece ability saw Archie Ferris nod in a third for the home side, but it was Hulbert and Westbury who had the last word eight minutes from time to maintain their unbeaten run. Bridgwater Town’s rich vein of form in front of goal continued at home to Chipping Sodbury Town, with two penalties from Jake Llewellyn and a late Jake Taylor strike helping them claim a 4-0 victory. The individual performance of the day in the Premier Division belonged to Shepton Mallet’s James Billing who scored four in his sides big win away at Hengrove Athletic. Shepton produced a dominant first half performance on their travels, with goals from Tyson Pollard and Joe Morgan coming either side of a twelve-minute hat trick by the red hot Billing. Joe Brimble offered some brief respite for Hengrove at the end of the first half, before goals from Billing and Kailan Gould after the interval capped a 7-1 victory to make it four wins from five for Shepton. 

Cribbs are another side who are starting to pile up victories, with their 5-1 thumping of Wellington making it six from seven in all competitions. A free header from Jason Vincent set Cribbs on their way, with Sol Wanjau-Smith making it 2-0 just before the break. Vincent’s second of the contest gave the home side a commanding lead, which was added to late on by Joe Woodley and Tom Collett prior to Josh Wadham’s stoppage time consolation for Wellington. A fortunate equaliser 12 minutes from time by David Steele helped Willand Rovers rescue a 1-1 draw at home to Bradford Town, after the away side had led for most of the game through Will Haliston. There was also a 1-1 tie at Springfield, where substitute Ryan Bush levelled things up 15 minutes from time for Buckland after Matt Huxley had given Cadbury Heath a 44th minute lead. Plymouth Parkway ended a run of three home defeats with a 4-1 victory over the winless Shortwood United. Parkway made a dream start, going ahead after just 33 seconds through Mike Williams, with Shane Krac’s left-footed effort putting them two goals to the good. A red card to Mike Smith could have derailed the Devon outfit, but they managed to regroup, with Krac and Aaron Bentley adding further goals for the ten men after the break prior to Ryan Antell’s late goal for Shortwood. Goals in either half from Mark Salter helped Bridport defeat Roman Glass St George 3-1, while Bitton beat Brislington 3-0 following a quick-fire double from Dan Hynes and Dean Griffiths just before the interval. At the Lew Hill Memorial Ground, Ash McGrane’s second half effort was the difference between the sides where Odd own defeated Hallen 1-0.

First Division 

Cheddar capped an astounding 96 hours with a 9-0 win away at Bristol Telephones to follow up their 8-0 midweek walloping of Oldland. Adam Jones couldn’t quite repeat the five-goal trick he produced on Wednesday, scoring only four in the win over the Phones, with Adam Wright also scoring four as the duo single-handedly demolished the home defence. Devizes Town were the other big winners on Saturday afternoon, with a first half hat-trick from Mark Robinson leading them to a 6-1 victory over Warminster Town. Debutant Robinson was the star of the show in the Wiltshire derby, with a brace from Rob Mitchell and a Ryan Bole free kick helping lead Devizes to their first three points of the month. Portishead Town are off the bottom of the table following a stunning 3-0 win away at Welton Rovers. Previous league leaders Welton were thoroughly outplayed by their visitors, with goals in either half from Jasper Harlington sandwiching an effort from Robbie Cox to hand Portishead their second win of the campaign. Sherborne Town were another side to win three goals to nil, with Dan Newens, Ben Wood and Marc Caines all scoring in the space of seven minutes to see off Radstock Town. A goal 13 minutes into the second half jettisoned Chard Town up into second spot, after they held off the challenge of Keynsham to claim a 1-0 win at the Dening Sports Field. Corsham Town left it late before claiming a sixth league win of the campaign, with two goals in the space of two minutes from Josh Bright and Dan King at the end of normal time landing them a 3-1 victory away at Bishop Sutton

Oldland Abbotonians responded well to midweek’s heavy defeat at the hands of Cheddar, by coming from a goal down to draw 1-1 with fifth placed Calne Town. After the visitors had gone ahead thanks to their top scorer Stuart Windsor, Oldland wasted little time in responding, and claimed an impressive point thanks to an equaliser on the stroke of half time by Scott Fear. The fixture between Wincanton and Wells City ended goalless, while at Shellards Road, goals from Ryan Brereton and Jake Quick twice put Bishops Lydeard ahead, but they were unable to hold on to their lead and had to settle for a 2-2 draw against Longwell Green Sports


PDF Copy