21st October 2018
Number 12

Midweek Action

With cup competitions continuing to dominate midweek proceedings, Westbury United produced a fine comeback to defeat Royal Wootton Bassett 3-2 in their Wiltshire Senior Cup tie. Finding themselves 2-1 down just after half time, Westbury got back on level terms thanks to a long-range effort from Jamie Jordan, with Joe Stradling then scoring the visitors winner. Elsewhere in Wiltshire on Tuesday evening, Stuart Windsor struck once more to fire Calne Town to a 1-0 win over Pewsey Vale, while Chippenham Park fell to a 2-0 defeat at Highworth Town. On Wednesday evening, Bradford came from a goal down to beat Corsham 3-1, with Will Haliston, Matt Jones and Dan Cottle all finding the back of the net. Elsewhere, Jack Hopper’s brace helped Devizes claim a 4-1 win at home to Wroughton, but there was not such good news for Warminster who were beaten 3-0 by Shrewton United.

In the GFA Challenge Trophy, Ben Bament returned to goalscoring form in Bitton’s 4-1 win at home to Cheltenham Saracens. Bament struck a hat trick during the big win, going one better than George Boon, who struck twice in helping Cadbury Heath claim a 5-0 win at home to Hallen. 24 hours earlier, Mason Thompson’s penalty midway through the second half saw Bristol Telephones defeated 1-0 by Fairford Town at Cinder Lane.

Clevedon Town claimed an eighth league win of the campaign on Wednesday evening, striking twice in either half on their way to a 4-3 victory away at Plymouth Parkway. The home side made the better start, taking the lead after 19 minutes thanks to a header at the back-post from Aaron Bentley. The middle period of the game went entirely in Clevedon’s favour, and after goals from Tyler Ashmead and Lucas Vowles put them ahead at the break, Syd Camper and Alex Camm then both struck less than ten minutes after the interval to give them complete control of the contest. Michael Landricombe and James Lorenz each managed goals during the final 20 minutes, but Parkway couldn’t quite get back on level terms as Clevedon kept pace with the top three.

Premier Division

Westbury United saw their 100% record to start the season brought to an end at Meadow Lane, after they could only muster a 1-1 draw with Hallen. Top scorer Callum Demkiv had put the home side ahead before half-time, but they were unable to hang on to all three points, with Aaron Anglin equalising for Hallen midway through the second half. Willand Rovers are the new league leaders, after a penalty from Josh Searle, and then a headed effort from Craig Duff landed them a 2-0 win away at Wellington. There was a return to winning ways for Bitton, who fought off a second half comeback from Shortwood United to eventually run out 4-2 winners. Having gone ahead midway through the first half through Kane Ingram, Biton doubled their advantage soon after the break thanks to Ben Bament’s first of the afternoon. Shortwood got on the scoresheet thanks to Levi Mathews on the hour mark, but then less than five minutes later, the visitors two-goal lead was restored by Bament. Joe Tustain’s penalty cut into Bitton’s lead once again, but Shortwood were finally put to bed late on when Reeko Best struck his sides fourth. Eight goals were shared at Fairfax Park, with Roman Glass St George coming back from three goals down to draw 4-4 away at Bridgwater Town. After Ryan Radford had fired the visitors ahead inside two minutes, Bridgwater stormed back into the contest, levelling things up through Jake Llewellyn, before Jack Taylor scored a nine minute hat-trick in the build up to half time. Roman Glass are among the better attacking sides in the division, and after Radford had scored his second, there were further goals from Jason Burt and Lewis Wentland as they secured what looked like an unlikely point earlier in the contest. At St Mary’s Field, a hat-trick from Leighton Thomas helped Bridport come from behind to beat Hengrove Athletic 3-1. Hengrove have been struggling this season, and took an early lead through Luke Trowbridge, but it didn’t last for long with Thomas levelling things up, before the same man added two more goals after the break to move four points clear of their opponents. Wayne Thorne’s dream start to life at the helm with Bradford Town continued, after they beat the in-form Clevedon 3-0 at Trowbridge Lane. A debut goal from Charlie Maddison set Bradford on their way, before captain Martin Lenihan, and then Will Haliston added further goals after the break to complete the impressive victory. At Bolitho Park, Brislington struck twice in the final quarter-hour on their way to a 3-2 victory over Plymouth Parkway. Having fallen behind to Teigan Rosenquest’s 12th minute opener, Brislington got back on level terms through Oaklan Buck before seeing Shane Krac’s penalty fire Parkway ahead once more. That spot kick left them little time to gain something from the game, but after levelling things up through Connor Biggins, they secured a fourth league win of the campaign late on after a home defender deflected the ball into his own net.

In another five-goal affair at The Ridings, Chipping Sodbury Town recovered from falling 2-1 down to beat Cadbury Heath 3-2. A fourth minute effort from Liam Pullen had put the home side ahead, only for the Heath to turn things around quickly following a double from Matt Huxley. Having levelled things up at the end of an entertaining first half, there was just one goal after the interval which belonged to George Box, with his strike on the hour give the Sods a vital three points. Shepton Mallet ended a run of four heavy home defeats with a 2-0 win at home to Cribbs, with Tom Hill and Joe Morgan grabbing goals for the hosts. There was also a home win for Buckland Athletic, after goals from Dan Harrison, Charlie Johansen and substitute Les Afful helped them defeat Odd Down 3-0.

First Division

Wincanton Town managed to maintain their strong goalscoring form as they secured a stunning 4-1 win over league leaders Welton Rovers. Having claimed three goals in their previous two league fixtures, scoring has not been a struggle for Wincanton, and they made a fantastic start against Welton, finding themselves two goals to the good inside 18 minutes thanks to a pair of Toby Cole efforts. Welton have been starting slowly despite their lofty league position, and they got back into the game in the early stages of the second half thanks to a fine volley from substitute Ben Wych. The game was still in the balance ten minutes from time, but after a superb free-kick from Dan Wise, man of the match Cole completed his hat trick to bring an abrupt halt to Welton’s winning run. After a slow start, Keynsham Town’s campaign is now picking up steam, with their latest 3-0 win over Corsham lifting them to third in the table. Following a goalless first half, the K’s took little time to go ahead after the break with midfielder Cameron Shorney scoring a free-kick to add to his growing repertoire of long-range efforts. An own-goal then extended Keynsham’s lead, before a towering header from Adey Harvey put the result beyond doubt. Calne Town are also on the rise, after Matty Jenkins’ goal fired them to a 1-0 win over second-placed Chard Town. Ashton & Backwell joined the log-jam of teams on 20 points, after two goals in quick succession from Calum Townsend and Joe Ellis helped them to a 2-0 victory at home to Bristol Telephones. At Bowdens Park, Cheddar left it late before securing a 2-2 draw at home to Longwell Green Sports, with Adam Jones heading home in the final minutes to grab a share of the points. Radstock Town secured their first home win of the season, with a pair of goals from Sam Gregory bookending their 5-2 victory over Oldland Abbotonians. After heading the hosts ahead inside a minute, Gregory saw teammate Jack Metcalf score a pair of goals to help his side stay ahead against a battling Abbots outfit before scoring an audacious lob late on to wrap up the victory.

Two goals in the final ten minutes saw Warminster come from behind to claim a 2-1 win away at Bishops Lydeard. Having fallen behind ten minutes after the break to Mark Clunie’s opener, substitute Jake Wright levelled things up before Eben Mortimer-Taylor struck the 85th minute winner. The points were shared at Raleigh Grove, where goals from Alfie Presley and Freddie Porter for Chippenham Park cancelled out efforts from Marc Caines and Elliot Mann for their hosts Sherborne during the 2-2 tie.


PDF Copy