3rd February 2019
Number 27

Midweek Action

Bitton registered their seventh successive Premier Division victory on Tuesday evening, surviving a first half red card to defeat Bridport 3-1. Ben Harris had put the home side ahead 34 minutes into the contest, but then just two minutes later, Josh Egan was dismissed to hand Bridport plenty of impetus going into the second half. The away side took advantage of the extra man, and got themselves level 20 minutes from time when Declan Cornish managed to find the bottom corner. Bitton managed to regroup, and after Dean Griffiths was tripped in the box, the forward dusted himself down and beat the Bridport keeper from 12 yards out to restore his side’s advantage. With five minutes left on the clock, the ten men managed to score again when Aysa Corrick struck for the second game on the bounce, condemning Bridport to their sixth defeat from their previous eight matches. 24 hours later, Jordan Annear produced a scintillating performance, scoring half of Plymouth Parkway’s goals during their 8-0 rout of Roman Glass St George. Annear scored all three of Parkway’s goals before half-time, and after he added his fourth soon after the interval he was rewarded with a well-deserved rest. The away side continued to prosper in Annear’s absence, with a brace from Mike Smith, and further goals from Adam Carter and Aaron Bentley completing the eight goal destruction. In the other midweek game, Cadbury Heath drew 1-1 with Chipping Sodbury Town at Springfield, with Simon McElroy netting for the hosts, and George Box back among the goals for the visiting Sods. 

FA Vase

Willand Rovers continued their fantastic progress in this seasons FA Vase after coming from behind to defeat Deeping Rangers 3-2. A remarkable performance from Willand twice saw them concede to Scott Mooney in the first half, before clawing things back thanks to a pair of equalisers from Brett Worbey and Angus Wilson. With the game level going into the final 15 minutes, Dean Stamp struck to edge Rovers ahead, and after closing out the final stages they booked themselves a quarter-final spot. Now just two rounds away from a Wembley trip, Russell Jee’s charges will be hoping for another home tie in the last eight having had a brilliant crowd of 776 at Silver Street to will them on to victory on Saturday afternoon. Mike Mitchell, Chairman of Willand Rovers and Dom Clark, Club Secretary wish to thank everyone who came to support the team. "It was great to see people from Sherborne Town, Bridport, Brislington, Buckland Athletic, Plymouth Parkway, and Bristol Manor Farm together with officials from the league. Apologies if we missed anyone out."

Premier Division

In the one league fixture to beat the weather, Bridgwater’s Jack Taylor struck late to secure a 2-1 win at home to Shortwood United. The hosts were forced to come from behind at Fairfax Park, after the winless Shortwood went ahead inside ten minutes through Lewis Bainbridge. It was Mike Duffy who grabbed Bridgy’s equaliser after 13 minutes, with Taylor then scoring the decisive goal two minutes from time after latching on to Joe Swift’s free kick. 


PDF Copy