24th February 2019
Number 30

Midweek Action

Bristol Telephones continue to pick up points in their battle against relegation from the First Division, with a third consecutive positive result seeing them draw 1-1 against Bishop Sutton on Tuesday evening. Having trailed at the interval, the home side managed to grab a share of the spoils when Josh Knight added to his weekend brace by scoring the all-important equaliser at Stockwood Lane. In the other midweek league fixture 24 hours later, Sherborne and Portishead also drew 1-1, with Matty Day’s opener for the Zebras cancelled out at the beginning of the second half.

There were also three Somerset Premier Cup quarter-finals which took place, and despite all three Western League sides being knocked out, they all pushed their higher ranked opponents. Clevedon took an early lead in their tie with Paulton Rovers before falling to a 2-1 defeat, while Chard were beaten 4-2 by Weston-Super-Mare despite scoring twice in a five-goal first half through James Boyland and Joe Smith. Shepton Mallet’s run in the competition also came to an end, after they were defeated by Frome Town following a penalty shootout. A late equaliser from Tyson Pollard saw the game finish 1-1 at the end of normal time, and then following nine perfect spot kicks, Shepton’s fifth attempt was saved meaning it was the visitors who progressed.

FA Vase

Willand Rovers saw their terrific run in the FA Vase come to an end, after losing 3-1 at home to Cray Valley PM in their quarter-final clash. With another large crowd in attendance at Silver Street, Rovers started well and were slightly unfortunate to fall behind in the 33rd minute when Gavin Tomlin slotted home. The home side regrouped quickly, and five minutes before the break they got back on level terms when Ryan Guppy headed home a well taken free kick from Brett Worbey. Cray have a strong away record this season, and they retook the lead ten minutes into the second half when Kevin Lisbie fired home from the penalty spot following a foul on Tomlin. Former Charlton and Ipswich frontman Lisbie then killed off any final hopes Willand had, scoring his second of the contest after being put through by Paul Semakula.

Premier Division

Bitton are now just one point behind Willand in the chase for the title after beating Shepton Mallet 3-1. The visitors got off to the worst possible start, and found themselves behind in just the eighth minute when James Billing headed home from close range. It didn’t take long for Bitton to hit their straps, and after Kane Ingram levelled things with a well taken free kick, Joe McLennan and Aysa Corrick then scored in the lead up to half-time as Bitton extended their winning run in all competitions to ten matches. Another side in red hot form are Plymouth Parkway, and they now own a nine-match winning streak of their own after defeating Hallen 4-2. Just like Bitton, Parkway fell behind inside the opening ten minutes, before storming back to lead at the break thanks to goals from Jordan Annear and Ryan Lane. Hallen managed to get back on level terms in the early stages of the second half through Daryl Charman, before Parkway pushed on in the final 15 minutes, with goals from Mike Williams and Shane Krac leading them to the 4-2 win. Bridgwater Town have also enjoyed an excellent start to 2019, which continued thanks to a 2-0 win away at Bridport. Following a goalless hour of action, Town were handed the opportunity to go ahead from the spot, and reliable penalty taker Jake Llewellyn obliged once more to hand the visitors the lead. Then, with ten minutes left on the clock, Bridgwater wrapped up all three points when Joe Swift swept the ball home following some fine build up play by his teammates. 

Westbury United suffered just their fourth league defeat of the season, with Richard Groves penalty at the end of the first half leading Buckland to a 1-0 win at Homers Heath. Clevedon Town were also victorious by one goal to nil, with Lucas Vowles effort ten minutes into the second half helping them see off the challenge of Roman Glass St George at the Hand Stadium. In the big battle at the bottom, Shortwood relinquished another lead, eventually falling to a 3-2 defeat at home to Hengrove. Just six minutes had passed at the Meadowbank Ground before Shortwood had shot out into a two goal lead with Rendijs Kalnins and Lee Bowles each having beaten the visiting keeper. Hengrove pulled a goal back in the opening moments of the second half through Jack Fillingham, and after levelling things soon after, the Grove completed their comeback ten minutes from time when Fillingham struck again to break Shortwood hearts. Goals in the second half from Jason Llama and Mike Rimmer led Brislington to a 2-0 triumph away at Wellington, while the fixture between Bradford and Odd Down ended goalless at Trowbridge Road.

First Division

In a slightly reduced First Division programme, where just seven games took place on Saturday afternoon, Keynsham jumped past the inactive Cheddar into top spot after sneaking past Bishops Lydeard by one goal to nil. The all-important goal came 13 minutes from time at Cothelstone Road, with Craig Wilson striking for the K’s, but the game was overshadowed by a bad looking injury to new signing Jake Miller late on which the current league leaders will be hoping isn’t as bad as first feared. Just like one week ago, many of the top sides struggled to register victories, with Keynsham the only member of the top seven to secure three points. Chard suffered a shock 2-1 defeat at home to bottom side Bristol Telephones, with all three goals coming in a frantic final ten minutes. The Phones have shown signs of improvement lately, and after keeping the game tight for 80 minutes they struck twice in quick succession through Karim Rendall and Ethan McMahon to go two goals ahead. Chard hit back in the 84th minute with a goal of their own from Kieran Bailey, but they were unable to force an equaliser as their visitors moved closer towards safety. 

Sherborne Town are another side to have really turned things around lately, and they made it three wins from five after defeating Devizes 3-1 at Nursteed Road. Goals from Ash Clarke and Taoufik Ben-Salem helped the visitors into a one-goal lead at the break, with Luke Enderby registering for Devizes. The only goal of the second half belonged to Scott Martin of Sherborne, helping the Dorset side rise to 13th in the league table. Radstock jumped a spot to 18th after claiming a mightily impressive 3-0 win away at Wells City, while goals from Courtney Charles and Luke Bryan helped Longwell Green continue their strong run with a 2-0 victory over Welton at West Clewes. Calne Town remain in third spot despite falling to a 3-1 defeat away at Warminster. Having taken the lead through Rory Worthington in the tenth minute, Calne would have hoped to end their four-match winless run, but their hosts had other ideas and made it back-to-back wins thanks to goals from Conner McKay, George Butler and Jack Miluk. In the game at Hardenhuish Park, a goal in the early stages from Brett Cotterill saw Wincanton claim a 1-0 win away at Chippenham Park.


PDF Copy