16th December 2018
Number 20

Midweek Action

Bitton secured their 12th Premier Division victory of the season on Tuesday evening, battling to a 2-1 win at home to Cribbs. Joe McLennan and Kane Ingram scored either side of the interval for the hosts, with Sol Wanjau-Smith’s goal ten minutes from time proving too little too late for the Bristolians. Elsewhere that night, Cheddar made it seven wins on the bounce in the First Division, beating Chippenham Park by two goals to nil. First half substitute Robbi Maggs put the Cheesemen ahead from a corner, before Adam Wright volleyed home from 20 yards to wrap up the points. On Wednesday, Westbury stormed into the semi-final of the Wiltshire FA Senior Cup thanks to a 7-0 thumping of Purton. Dan Kovacs struck a hat-trick for United, with Joe Stradling and Ricky Hulbert also chipping in with two goals apiece to secure a comfortable victory over their Hellenic League opponents.

Premier Division

Westbury United are the new leaders of the Premier Division after coming from behind to beat Chipping Sodbury Town 4-1 at the Ridings. Westbury found themselves behind at the break, but very much with an added impetus following a red card to the Chipping Sodbury’s keeper Ross Grimshaw. The second half was just ten minutes old before Jamie Jordan levelled things up, with three goals in the final 12 minutes from time Dan Kovacs, Dan Price and Callum Demkiv helping the unbeaten visitors gain all three points. Willand Rovers are now level on points with Bridgwater Town after storming to a 4-1 victory over their promotion rivals at Fairfax Park. It took half an hour before the deadlock was broken, with Willand’s top scorer Luke Mortimore firing the visitors ahead. Not long after, Ryan Guppy headed home Luke Alden’s corner to double their half-time lead, with Craig Duff extending their advantage on the hour mark. Jack Taylor pulled a goal back for the ten-man hosts late on, but the Devon outfit had the last word with Josh Searle slotting home a penalty after the 90 minute mark.

Bitton remain in fourth spot after drawing 2-2 at home to Bradford Town. The visitors enjoyed the better of the first half, scoring at either end of the opening stanza through Will Haliston and Martin Lenihan to lead by two at the break. Bitton shot out of the blocks after half-time however, scoring twice in the opening ten minutes of the second half through Dean Griffiths and Josh Egan to secure a share of the points. Goals were very much the theme of the day all around the Premier Division, and that was no different at the Hand Stadium where Clevedon Town defeated Cribbs 5-2. A long range stunner from Archie Ferris fired the home side into an early lead, which was doubled on the 20-minute mark thanks to the in-form Syd Camper. Charlie Aldom converted a penalty to give the Bristol side a foothold into the game, but that was soon loosened after Lucas Vowles struck twice in the closing stages of the first half to give Clevedon a 4-1 lead at the break. Harry Smith then scored Town’s fifth, before Jason Vincent doubled Cribbs’ tally on an entertaining afternoon in Somerset. Bridport made it back-to-back away wins in the league, twice coming from behind to defeat Hengrove 4-2. A pair of headers from Jack Fillingham had twice put the struggling Hengrove ahead at Paprika Park, but on both occasions they saw their lead cancelled out following equalisers from Leighton Thomas. It was then Bridport who excelled late on, and after Sam Clark had curled them ahead for the first time, a deflected effort from Ben Morris brought an end to the scoring 20 minutes from time. Another side to prevail away from home were Cadbury Heath, after a hat-trick from Matt Huxley led them to a 3-1 triumph in Bath against Odd Down. Plymouth Parkway became the latest side to put Shortwood to the sword, hitting them for eight at the Meadow Bank Ground. Goals from Jordan Trott, Sam Hillson and Stewart Yetton inside the opening half hour set the Plymouth side on their way, with a double from Mike Williams bettered late on by a hat-trick from Jordan Annear during a comprehensive victory. Another side to romp home were Shepton Mallet, with four goals in the final 30 minutes capping their 7-2 thumping of Buckland Athletic. The game was very much in the balance up until the hour mark, with Buckland twice responding through Chris McPhee and Charlie Johansen after Tyson Pollard had fired the home side ahead. Mallet were ruthless in the closing stages however, and after Craig Loxton’s free kick had made it 4-2 in the 63rd minute, Ross Padfield and Francois Allen struck in quick succession before Joe Morgan scored his second of the afternoon to complete the one-sided victory. Brislington also performed well on their way to three points, with Louis Britton’s brace adding to goals from Mason Dagger and Jayden Nielsen during their 4-0 win over Wellington. Goals didn’t fly in at every ground, with the fixture at Oaklands Park involving Roman Glass St George and Hallen ending goalless.

First Division

In the big battle at the top, Keynsham Town leapfrogged opponents Chard Town following a 4-0 win at the Crown Fields. The game turned in Keynsham’s favour around the half-time period, with a direct free kick from Harley Purnell at the end of the first half putting them ahead, before Stefan Lee doubled the advantage soon after the interval. The K’s wrapped up their 11th victory in 12 matches thanks to Nathan Curnock’s late double, with the home side joining Cheddar on 41 points at the top of the table. Calne Town and Corsham Town both missed out on the opportunity to gain ground on the top three after dropping points against lower half opposition. Calne hosted Bishops Lydeard at Bremhill View and were forced to settle for a 2-2 draw after conceding a late equaliser. Having seen their visitors squander an early opportunity from the spot, Calne’s Matty Jenkins made no such mistake and fired home his penalty to put his side ahead on the half hour. Lydeard then got on level terms thanks to Ryan Brereton, but when Jenkins scored his second of the afternoon ten minutes from time it looked as though the Lilywhites had snatched all three points. That wasn’t to be however, and with the final kick of the game, Ben Hebditch managed to force the ball home to end a run of two defeats on the bounce for Lydeard. Corsham meanwhile fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Oldland Abbotonians, with Luke Tanner and substitute Lewis Bezer scoring in either half for the home side.

Wincanton Town were one of the biggest movers on Saturday afternoon, with their 3-2 victory away at Welton Rovers helping them rise up into the top half. There was just one goal before the break, with Brett Cotterill giving the away side a deserved lead thanks to his left footed finish on the half hour. Town then struck twice in the early stages of the second half through Connor Williams and Jamie Irwin to move three goals clear of their hosts who hit back through Shak Green and Omar Simpson, eventually falling one goal short of completing their comeback. Ashton & Backwell United claimed their tenth league win of the campaign at home to Warminster Town, with Calum Townsend scoring both of their goals at the Lancer Scott Stadium. Another side to win comfortably on their home patch was Longwell Green Sports, who defeated Sherborne Town 3-1 to extend their visitors winless run to seven matches in all competitions. Longwell Green now sit ninth in the table with goals from Luke Bryan, Connor Britton and Ali Bamford handing them their latest victory. Despite finding themselves bottom, Bristol Telephones made it seven points from a possible nine after claiming a big 4-1 win away at Nursteed Road against. Devizes Town. Defences were on top at Lakeview where Bishop Sutton and Portishead Town battled out a 0-0 draw in what was the away side’s first league tie of the season so far.


PDF Copy