10th March 2019
Number 32

Midweek Action

Bridgwater Town became the first Les Phillips Cup semi-finalists this season after edging past Calne Town on Tuesday evening. A ninth minute opener from Ian Bellinger gave the Premier Division side the lead, before Matt Hudson scored for the second time in two matches to level things in the early stages of the second half. Calne were then reduced to ten men, and Bridgwater took advantage, with Jake Brown heading home the winner six minutes from time, after connecting with Bellinger’s whipped set piece. Bridgwater will now take on Willand Rovers in the last four, after the league leaders claimed a 4-2 win away at Shepton Mallet. Rovers did all their damage in the first half, with Luke Mortimore scoring twice inside the opening 20 minutes, adding to further goals from Brad Ausden and Dean Stamp. On the other side of the draw, Plymouth Parkway booked a trip to either Buckland or Cadbury Heath in the semi-finals, after they edged past Keynsham by two goals to one at Bolitho Park. Stefan Lee had given the First Division high flyers the lead on 30 minutes, with Parkway equalising in the closing stages of the first half before Adam Carter struck the winning goal to help the hosts sneak through. 

The points were shared in Tuesday’s Premier Division tie at The Lawns, with Cribbs coming from behind to draw 1-1 with Hallen. Kyle Thomas put the away side ahead from the spot, before Charlie Aldom struck the equaliser nine minutes before the interval to help maintain his sides unbeaten run. Wednesday’s clash between Hengrove and Roman Glass St George at Paprika Park also finished 1-1, with Lewis Wentland firing the visitors ahead, before Craig Parsons rescued a point for the Grove in the early stages of the second half. In the First Division, Warminster Town stretched their winning streak to four matches, with Conner McKay assisting four of their goals in a 5-0 triumph away at Longwell Green Sports. The hosts were unbeaten in five contests ahead of this loss on Tuesday evening, but were blown away by Warminster, for whom Jack Miluk followed up his brace against Cheddar with another two goals at Shellards Road. Eben Mortimer-Taylor, George Butler and Martin Johnson also got on the scoresheet to help Town grab their 14th league win of the season.

Premier Division

Plymouth Parkway have now risen to second in the league table, after a 4-1 win away at Cadbury Heath helped them extend their winning run to ten matches. Nick Milton’s headed effort put them ahead in the 15th minute, with Jordan Annear then doubling the advantage in first half stoppage time with a well taken lob. Mike Williams’ added Parkway’s third to all-but end the contest, with Teigan Rosenquest then completing the scoring after Simon McElroy had pulled a goal back for the hosts. The Plymouth outfit were the only top five side to add three points to their tally on Saturday afternoon, with league leaders Willand relying on the latest of equalisers to salvage a 1-1 draw at Odd Down. A peach of a finish from Dave Gould in the early stages of the second half looked to have handed Odd Down victory, but then four minutes into stoppage time, Aidan Moyle popped up to level the scores to rescue a point for Rovers. There was also late drama in the top-five clash between Bitton and Bridgwater, with each side scoring in the final minutes of their 1-1 draw. After 85 goalless minutes, Jake Brown’s cut back was converted by Carl Jones to put Bridgwater on track for an important victory. Bitton had other ideas however, and two minutes into injury time, Alex Grimshaw found space in the box to fire home a leveller which maintained the five points lead they held over their opponents. 

Westbury United dropped down to fourth after falling to a 3-1 defeat at the in-form Cribbs who have now won six of their previous eight in the league. Jordan Lovibond’s 21stminute opener was cancelled out by a side volley from Josh Ferguson as the first half at the Lawns ended all square. Just four minutes after the interval, Cribbs were back in front after Jack McKenna teed up Lovibond for his second, with Lewis Hedges then making it 3-1 20 minutes from time. With seventh place up for grabs, a first half double from Richard Groves helped Buckland Athletic claim a 4-1 win at home to Bradford Town. Having gone ahead in the 10th minute through Austen Booth, Buckland began to dominate the contest and were three goals to the good inside half an hour thanks to Groves’ quick-fire brace. It should have been a four-goal lead at the break for the hosts, but Groves missed out on the opportunity of a first-half hat trick when he saw his spot kick saved by Jordan Dibble in the Bradford goal. Town gave themselves a slim chance of a fightback when Will Hailston reduced the arrears, but Buckland held on and wrapped things up late on through Ryan Bush. Shepton Mallet came out firing early doors to secure their first home win since the January 5th, topping Clevedon 2-1 in another top-half battle. Clevedon were close to gaining a dream start to the contest, but Cameron Pike stepped up for Shepton, saving Syd Camper’s 12th minute penalty attempt to keep the game scoreless. Just three minutes later, Shepton made Camper pay with Conrad Peck opening the scoring, and then within moments the lead was two when James Billing struck. The visitors were awarded another penalty in the final ten minutes, and George King made no mistake to half the deficit, but Shepton held on to take all three points. Bottom side Shortwood claimed another point in their recent revival, with Levi Mathews scoring for the second Saturday in succession to cancel out Ed Butcher’s opener during their 1-1 draw away at Bridport.

First Division

Cheddar’s leading duo were back among the goals as the league leaders stormed to a 4-1 win at home to Bristol Telephones. The Cheesemen’s two leading marksmen, Adam Jones and Adam Wright are having a personal battle for the division’s golden boot this season, and Jones gave his side a strong foothold in their latest win with two goals in the opening quarter of the match. Wright then joined the party, adding Cheddar’s third before the break, with Chris Coombes then adding a fourth at Bowdens Park. Keynsham Town left it late before claiming a 1-0 win over Warminster, with Stefan Lee scoring the vital goal five minutes from time to help his side stay just one point behind Cheddar in the race for the title. Ashton & Backwell now have six wins in seven after defeating Welton Rovers 2-0 at The Lancer Scott Stadium. The third place side were forced to battle for this victory, with Dan Elson and Harry Walker each scoring in the final 15 minutes to see off the challenge of the Green Army. First half goals from Zac Costello and Josh Bright fired Corsham to a 2-1 win at home to Oldland, with Longwell Green Sports joining them on 51 points after defeating Chard Town 4-0. Courtney Charles and Ali Bamford each scored braces in Longwell Green’s win, as they bounced back expertly from their thumping midweek loss against Warminster. 

Sherborne Town collected their third consecutive victory away from home, handing Chippenham Park a 2-1 defeat at Hardenhuish thanks to goals from Haydn Hodges and Ashley Clarke. Free-scoring Bishops Lydeard have now scored nine goals in their last two games, defeating another relegation rival in the form of Portishead 4-2 at Cothelstone Road. Following last week’s 5-4 win at Chippenham Park, Lydeard made the worst possible start against Portishead, falling two goals behind inside 12 minutes. The goal scoring didn’t slow down from there however, and after Zac Ryder pulled a goal back in the 14thminute, the hosts were level two minutes later when Jason Quick headed home. Lydeard then pushed on in the final quarter, with Ben Hebditch providing two assists for Jake Quick as the duo helped the home side claim a vital three points. Devizes secured a second away win on the bounce, with all six goals in their 4-2 win over Wincanton coming in a frenetic second half. Former Westbury forward Mark Robinson struck twice for the away side, adding to goals from Sam Dodds and Ryan Bole, with Toby Dolton Cole and Gary Chapman getting on the scoresheet for Wincanton. Radstock Town gave their survival chances a huge boost by defeating Calne Town 2-1 at the Southfields Rec. Two expert finishes in either half from Jack Rustell were the difference between the sides, with Jamie Norman pulling a goal back for Calne who are now without a victory in eight. Bishop Sutton also moved further clear of the relegation area, claiming a 1-0 win at the Athletic Ground over Wells City.


PDF Copy