17th March 2019
Number 33

Midweek Action

The only game to beat the weather on Tuesday evening came in the Premier Division, with Shortwood United drawing 2-2 at home to Brislington. After Ross Langworthy had fired the home side into a ninth minute lead, Brislington hit back, and were ahead by half-time thanks to a brace from Nieken Plummer. With the game headed into stoppage time, Shortwood looked destined for defeat, but managed to salvage a share of the points when Lee Bowles scored with almost the final kick of the game. In a clash with huge promotion ramifications, Plymouth Parkway produced another strong showing on Wednesday evening, defeating Bitton 3-0 at Bolitho Park. This was the game in hand both sides had on Willand, and it was Parkway who took advantage with their 11thconsecutive league victory. An early goal from Teigan Rosenquest gave the home side an early lead, with the in-form Mike Williams then doubling the advantage after half an hour to take his tally to six goals from his last six games. Sustained pressure at the beginning of the second half paid off for Parkway, with Shane Krac firing home their third to move his side within touching distance of top spot. Wells City returned to winning ways in the First Division on Wednesday evening, securing a 4-2 victory away at Oldland Abbotonians. Paul Braithwaite struck twice for the Somerset side, with Charlie Crook and Ryan Stiles also on target for Wells who ended a four-match losing run. Meanwhile in the Somerset Premier Cup, Welton Rovers were knocked out at the Quarter-Final stage, after a first half goal from Luke Manley saw Taunton Town claim a slim 1-0 victory at The Viridor Stadium. 

Premier Division

With eight matches remaining this season, Willand remain top by the skin of their teeth after snatching a 1-0 win at home to Brislington. With the chasing pack breathing down their necks, Rovers were ten minutes from relinquishing top spot, but Brad Ausden popped up with the crucial winner to help them see off a battling Brislington side at Silver Street. Second placed Plymouth Parkway show no signs of letting up, and have now won 13 on the bounce in the league after defeating Bridport 2-1. The home side took 40 minutes to break down the Bridport defence, with Ryan Lane teeing up Mike Williams who fired his side into a half-time lead. Jordan Trott’s corner early in the second half made its way into the net as Parkway doubled their advantage, with Bridport’s Ed Butcher slotting home a penalty on the hour mark to threaten the hosts long winning run. Bitton moved six points clear of Westbury in third after defeating their promotion rivals 3-1. It took just four minutes for Bitton to break the deadlock, with Ben Bament lobbing the ball into an empty net to take his goal tally for the season to 30. Ibrahima Diallo then doubled the hosts lead midway through the first half from long range, with skipper Scott Brice making it 3-0 inside the opening minute of the second half. Callum Demkiv reduced the arrears with a 65th minute penalty, for which the awarding of saw keeper Dan Worton sent off for the hosts, but the ten men held on for all three points. Odd Down ended an eight match winless run by coming from behind to defeat Clevedon Town 2-1 in Bath. It wasn’t looking good for the mid-table side who trailed at the break to Harry Smith’s opener, but then Brandon Benjamin scored twice in the final 20 minutes to complete a dramatic turnaround at the Lew Hill Memorial Ground.

Ten-man Buckland salvaged a 2-2 draw away at Bradford Town to hit the 50-point mark for the season. Having gone ahead in the early stages thanks to a Ryan Bush header, Buckland found themselves behind at the beginning of the second half following goals from Martin Lenihan and Dan Cottle. The Newton Abbott club were forced to end the game without Dan Harrison who was given a straight red card, but they battled until the end and struck gold five minutes from time with Bush completing his brace to claim a share of the points. The game at Springfield also ended in a 2-2 draw, with Cadbury Heath and Hengrove now lying 12th and 19th respectively. Mark Fear scored twice in the closing stages of the first half to overturn Matt Huxley’s opener, with Heath talisman Huxley then completing his own double to rescue a point for the hosts during the second half. At Oaklands Park, Roman Glass St George ended a run of 13 matches without a win by beating local rivals Chipping Sodbury Town 3-1. Following a goalless first half, the home side built a two-goal lead thanks to a free kick from Lewis Wentland, and a goal soon after from Nathan Legge. Sodbury halved the deficit with a goal from George Box, before Rhys Hodgson provided a cross for Ken Oni to wrap up the victory in stoppage time.

First Division

The First Division action got underway on Friday evening, where a healthy crowd of 184 saw Warminster Town claim a 2-1 win at a wet and windy Southbank Ground against Corsham. The home side made a terrific start to the match, and were ahead after just six minutes when Josh Bright curled the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out. Warminster are in sterling form, and fought back from that early setback with Jake Wright managing to force home an equaliser at the end of the first half. The visitors then pushed on after the break, and secured their fifth win from six games when Martin Johnson struck the third and final goal of the contest late on.

With the title looking likely to be decided over the final few weeks of the season, Keynsham moved back top of the table following a 1-0 victory away at Calne Town. The only goal of the game came on the hour mark, with a wicked corner from Harley Purnell catching the wind and heading straight into the Calne net. Keynsham’s latest victory coincided with Cheddar’s 2-2 draw against Chard Town, which now leaves the Cheesemen without a victory from their previous four away fixtures. The visitors made a dream start to the game at the Dening Sports Field, with Adam Jones heading his side ahead after just 100 seconds. Chard didn’t take long to respond however, and got themselves level in the 12th minute when Stephen Friend fired home from the penalty spot. Cheddar had a number of opportunities to retake the lead during the first half, none better than Chris Coombs spot kick, but were thwarted by home keeper, and man of the match Scott Wells-Burr on each occasion. Chard took confidence from keeping their visitors at bay for so long, and went ahead during the second half thanks to a terrific volleyed effort from Friend, but the away side eventually managed to beat Wells-Burr for a second time when Stephen Pennington headed home a cross from Jones 15 minutes from time. Sherborne Town came out on top in a meeting between two of the in-form teams at the Lancer Scott Stadium, with a late spot kick helping them to claim a 2-1 victory away at Ashton & Backwell United. The away side went ahead through Matt Brown, before Jordan Bishop fired home an equaliser for Ashton three minutes before the break. With just two minutes remaining, Haydn Hodges was fouled in the area, and Josh Williams stepped up to dispatch the penalty and secure all three points for Sherborne. Fourth place Longwell Green Sports secured a fourth consecutive away victory in the league, with Louis Ward scoring the only goal of the game 13 minutes into the second half during their defeat of Wells City

Bishops Lydeard are now averaging five goals a game over the last fortnight after handing Devizes a hefty 6-1 defeat at Cothelstone Road. Two goals from Harry Millar spearheaded Lydeard’s third successive win, with Zac Ryder, Ryan Brereton, Luke Bryant and Ben Hebditch also finding the back of the net. Bottom side Bristol Telephones continue to gain ground on the sides above them after beating Welton Rovers 1-0 at West Clewes. Kyle Tooze was the scorer of the game’s vital goal ten minutes into the second half, beating three defenders before chipping the ball past Tom Drewitt into the back of the Welton net. In another crucial game at the bottom, Portishead moved level on points with Radstock after coming from behind to beat their hosts 2-1 at the Southfields Rec. Radstock went ahead after 13 minutes when Fin Haines headed in Alex Fitzgerald’s cross, with Callum Eastwood then levelling the scores on the half hour mark. Portishead have now won four of their last eight league games, with James Steel proving to be the match winner on this occasion, firing past Jack Scrivens in the Radstock goal on the hour mark. In the other fixture involving a pair of bottom six sides, Oldland Abbotonians and Bishop Sutton shared the points following a 1-1 draw.


PDF Copy