13th January 2019
Number 24

Midweek Action

In Tuesday evening’s First Division tie at Lakeview, Chippenham Park picked up a vital 2-1 win over Bishop Sutton. The visitors moved up to 18th spot following the victory, with late substitute Danny Constable and Alex Hallett hitting the target for the Wiltshire side. Elsewhere on Tuesday, Bitton secured their place in the semi-finals of the Gloucestershire FA Trophy after powering to a 5-3 win over Almondsbury. Two goals from Jordan Whittaker got the ball rolling for the Western League side, with Ben Bament extending the lead towards the end of the first half. The home side struck twice to set up a fascinating final quarter, with Aysa Corrick and Josh Egan each scoring in the final 15 minutes to complete Bitton’s victory. On Wednesday, Cadbury Heath ended a four-game losing run in the Premier Division by beating top-half opponents Shepton Mallet 4-1. It was Shepton who surged ahead at Springfield, with their in-form goal-getter Kailan Gould finding the back of the net after 20 minutes. George Boon levelled things up on the half-hour, before Simon McElroy struck two minutes after the interval to complete the turnaround. Sacha Tong then extended the home side’s lead a couple of moments later, before Harry Pruett scored with his first touch after coming on 15 minutes from time.

Premier Division

Willand Rovers secured another big victory to maintain their lead atop the table, with four different scorers providing them with a 4-0 win away at Hengrove Athletic. It is the sixth consecutive league match in which Willand have struck at least four times, with top scorer Luke Mortimore breaking the deadlock on this occasion after just seven minutes. Rovers then pulled away from their hosts in the second half, with Luke Alden, Dean Stamp and Brad Ausden completing the victory. Bitton also scored four away from home, eventually securing a 4-2 victory over Bridport at St Mary’s Field. The game came to life around the 20 minute mark, with former Bitton forward Mark Salter seeing his penalty saved by Dan Worton, before Dean Griffiths found the back of the net just two minutes later at the other end to put the visitors ahead. Griffiths struck again early in the second half to cancel out Kameron Andrews’ equaliser, with Ben Bament then scoring twice in the final 15 minutes to wrap up the three points for Bitton. Westbury United enjoyed a comfortable afternoon at Meadow Lane, with a pair of second half penalties from Dan Kovacs adding to Jamie Jordan’s opener during their 3-0 victory over Roman Glass St George. Another side to reach the 50-point mark on Saturday afternoon were Bridgwater, with Jack Taylor scoring the only goal of their game at home to Hallen. Taylor squeezed the ball home from a tight angle 20 minutes from time to secure the three points, which in the process gave the talisman his 50th goal for the club having joined less than 18 months ago.

Shepton Mallet and Bradford Town played out a 4-4 thriller in Somerset, with the away side coming from behind on three occasions to eventually secure a point. Francois Allen gave Shepton their first lead of the afternoon which Matt Morris responded to just before the interval, with Jamie Lyons then grabbing an equaliser early in the second half after Bradford had gone behind once more. Two goals from Tyson Pollard gave the home side some breathing space late on, but Bradford surged back again, with an own goal giving them a glimmer of hope, before Will Haliston scored the eighth and final goal of the game. Plymouth Parkway responded to last week’s shock home defeat with an impressive 2-1 victory away at fifth-placed Clevedon. Parkway did all the damage inside the opening 30 minutes, with Adam Carter chipping home a 12th minute penalty, before Truro City loanee Billy Palfrey doubled the lead. Clevedon had won four home games on the bounce coming into this game, but were unable to extend that run despite Glen Hayer’s late headed effort which proved to be merely a consolation. Odd Down were also victorious by two goals to one away from home, with second half goals from Adnan Hiroli and George Lloyd helping them overturn Jason Vincent’s fourth minute opener for Cribbs. Cadbury Heath jumped all the way up to 12th, after a goal midway through the first half from Sam Bailey helped them sneak to a 1-0 win over bottom-side Shortwood United at Springfield. Buckland Athletic saw off the challenge of Wellington, with goals from Ryan Bush and James Richards prior to half-time giving them a 2-0 victory over the Tangerines. There was late drama at the Ridings, where Chipping Sodbury came from two goals down to salvage a 2-2 draw with Brislington. Goals either side of the break from Mike Rimmer and Mason Dagger had given the visitors a strong foothold, but the Sods never gave in and managed to claim a share of the points thanks to late efforts from Steve Fitzpatrick and Tom Fry.

First Division

Cheddar extended their winning run to eight matches, after a hat-trick from Adam Jones fired them to a 3-0 victory away at Welton. Wright now leads the scoring charts in the division thanks to this treble, with a diving header completing the scoring late on to add to his two first half strikes. A word must also go to the Cheddar back five who have been the backbone behind the winning run which has seen them go more than 700 minutes without conceding a single goal. Calne Town survived a difficult fixture away at Wells City, with goals in the second half from Shannon Pocock and Billy Gleed leading them to a 2-0 victory at the Athletic Ground. Ashton & Backwell United made hard work of their clash away at Bristol Telephones, where a late goal from Paul Uppington helped them sneak a 2-1 victory which helped them move up to fifth in the table. Longwell Green Sports now have ten points from a possible 12 after defeating Sherborne Town 4-2 at Raleigh Grove. Danny Carter was the star man for Longwell Green, with his second half brace leading the way during a six-goal second half. Ashley Clarke and Taoufik Ben Salem each got on the scoresheet for the hosts, but it wasn’t enough as Longwell Green pulled away late, with Ben Allen and Jason Adams chipping in with goals of their own. Chippenham Park nearly pulled off a remarkable comeback at home to Chard Town, eventually falling to a 4-3 defeat. Finding themselves down by three goals at the interval, Park surged back into the contest during the second half thanks to goals from Luke Curtis, Eddie Swain and substitute Landon Golding, but in the end fell one goal short as Chard retained third spot. Bishops Lydeard defeated Radstock by two goals to one at Cothelstone Road, with goals either side of the interval from Ryan Brereton and Luke Bryant proving to be enough for the home side. Bishop Sutton ended a nine-match losing skid thanks to a 1-0 victory over Devizes Town at Nursteed Road.


PDF Copy