10th February 2019
Number 28

Midweek Action

Cheddar made a welcome return to winning ways on Tuesday evening, beating Warminster Town 1-0 to strengthen their position at the top of the First Division. Having accumulated just one point from their previous two fixtures, their ever-reliable forward duo came to the fore once again, with Adam Wright supplying a cross for Adam Jones to head home the crucial goal at Bowdens Park.

Wednesday night was all about the Premier Division, with a pair of home wins for two members of the top five. On the back of their excellent FA Vase victory, Willand Rovers didn’t let standards slip, with goals in either half from Dean Stamp handing the league leaders a 2-0 victory over Shepton Mallet at fortress Silver Street. In another damp Devon setting of Bolitho Park, Plymouth Parkway maintained their rampant form with a 5-0 victory over Cadbury Heath. An impressive crowd of 157 braved the elements to catch Parkway’s latest win, with Shane Krac’s double and a penalty from Jordan Annear handing them a three-goal lead at the break. Sam Hillson extended the lead ten minutes into the second half, before Mike Smith completed the scoring in the closing stages as the home side passed the 50-point barrier with 16 league fixtures still remaining. 

Premier Division

With the other members of the top five all inactive on Saturday afternoon due to postponements, Plymouth Parkway gained ground on their promotion rivals with an impressive 2-1 win away at Bradford Town. There was a late kick-off at Trowbridge Road after the visitors coach broke down on the way to Wiltshire, and they had goalkeeper Kyle Moore to thank for keeping their hosts at bay early on, after he saved an early penalty from the usually reliable Will Hailston. Parkway then started to come into the game, and thanks to a creative chip from Mike Williams they were able to take the lead with the in-form Jordan Annear slotting home. Jordan Trott then doubled the Devonians advantage on the hour mark, with Lee Davidson getting a goal back for the Bobcats five minutes later, but they left themselves too little time to complete the comeback. Another side to prevail away from home were Chipping Sodbury Town, with two goals in either half helping them to secure a 4-0 win over Clevedon Town. The visitors shot out of the blocks, and found themselves two goals to the good inside a quarter-hour, with Luke Burman and Harvey Baker each finding the back of the net. Baker then doubled his tally in the 58th minute to put the result beyond doubt, with George Box wrapping things up in the closing stages. 

Wellington jumped up to 11th on the league ladder after claiming a 3-1 victory away at Roman Glass St George. The away side went ahead in the 19th minute through Glen Wright after he reacted quickest to slot home the rebound when Joe Chamberlain saw his goal-bound effort blocked. Chamberlain was not to be thwarted second time around, and five minutes into the second half he curled home from the edge of the area to double Welly’s lead. Ryan Radford set up a tense finish when he scored from the spot late on, but Wellington had the last word, with Conor Bryant restoring their two-goal advantage in stoppage time. Cribbs secured their first away win in the league since late October, after goals from Jordan Lovibond and Sol Wanjau-Smith at either end of the game helped them defeat Bridport 2-1, with Sam Clark scoring an injury time consolation for the hosts. Matt Huxley’s exquisite chip two minutes from time helped Cadbury Heath claim a 1-1 draw away at Hallen. A scrappy set-piece goal in the early stages of the second half from Daryl Charman had set Hallen up for victory, but Huxley had other ideas, lobbing the keeper late in the game to ensure that the Heath remained above of their hosts in the league table. In Bath, the battle to secure a first league victory of the season continues to defy Shortwood United, after they relinquished a two-goal lead to eventually draw 2-2 with Odd Down. A strong spell at the beginning of the second half saw Shortwood surge two goals ahead, with Rendijs Kalnins and Jamie Walker each finding the back of the net. 25 minutes were left on the clock when Joey Tustain was awarded his second yellow of the game, but that gave Odd Down plenty of time to forge a comeback, with debutant Darius Davey and Adnan Hiroli each scoring against the ten men to grab a fortunate draw.

First Division

Keynsham moved back to within a point of First Division leaders after claiming a big 5-0 win away a Devizes. A 25 yard effort from Matt Brown put the visitors ahead inside half an hour, with Devizes then thwarted from the penalty spot five minutes as Keynsham kept their advantage intact at the break. Brown then scored his second from close range, before Tom Knighton put the game to bed on the hour mark with a curling finish into the top corner. What was already looking like an impossible task for Devizes became even tougher when they were reduced to ten men, with Keynsham adding two more goals in the final 20 minutes thanks to Craig Wilson and a late own-goal. Another side to score five were Wincanton Town, with their three-goal blitz just before the interval laying the foundations for a 5-1 win at home to Oldland Abbotonians. Jamie Irwin will take home most of the plaudits thanks to his first-half hat trick, and it was he who opened the scoring after just six minutes. Oldland then got back on level terms in the 29th minute through Josh Williams, but were soon behind once again with Dan Wise restoring the home side’s lead. Before long it was 3-1 when Irwin stroked home his second, with Wincanton’s match winner then completing his treble in the closing stages of an action-packed first half. Brett Cotterill completed the scoring on the hour mark to hand Wincanton their first victory of 2019, and in the process helping them move up into the top half of the table. 

Calne missed out on the opportunity to move up to third, after suffering a 3-1 defeat at home to ten-man Wells City. The away side went ahead early in the game, but then saw a straight red card derail their hopes, with Calne capitalising on the extra man when Stuart Windsor managed to knock in an equaliser. To the surprise of many at Bremhill View, it was Wells who managed to push on late in the game, scoring twice in the final quarter hour to hand the Lilywhites their first home league defeat since mid-August. Corsham Town came out on the right side of a 2-1 result at home to Bishops Lydeard, with all three goals coming in the final ten minutes at the Southbank Ground. After 81 goalless minutes, seventh-placed Corsham forged ahead, with Ben Wickens laying off the ball for Josh Bright to curl home. Wickens was at the centre of the action again moments later, when he provided another assist for substitute Adam Shipman who made no mistake with his finish. Lydeard battled until the final whistle, scoring themselves in the 89th minute thanks to a long ranger from Ryan Brereton, but they left themselves no time to claim an equaliser and have now suffered three away defeats on the bounce.



PDF Copy