16th September 2018
Number 07

Midweek Action

Tuesday evening saw Western League sides compete in three different competitions, with Plymouth Parkway stealing the headlines following a 4-1 triumph in their FA Cup replay away at Street. Having battled to a goalless draw in the original tie, Parkway stormed to victory at The Tannery, finding themselves two goals to the good after just 13 minutes thanks to Jordan Trott and Mike Smith. The home side saw any chance of a fightback halted with 20 minutes left on the clock following a red card to captain Ben Amghar, with the Devon outfit scoring from the resulting free-kick through Adam Carter. Two minutes later, Carter scored his second to wrap up the victory, with Ed Butcher scoring a late consolation for the Cobblers. Parkway will now take part in the second qualifying round for the first time in their history, where they will take on National League South side Gloucester City. In their Gloucestershire FA Challenge Trophy tie, George Kellow and Ben Dowdell each struck hat-tricks during Cribbs’ 9-0 thrashing of Shortwood United at The Lawns. In the First Division, Corsham Town battled back from two goals down to draw 2-2 away at neighbours Chippenham Park. The home side looked set to secure their second league victory of the season following goals from Alfie Presley and Christian Koffi, but Corsham had other ideas and secured a share of points, with Mark Dolman pulling a goal back in the 83rd minute, before Ben Wickens scored the equaliser in the final minute of normal time.

Premier Division

Wellington were one of three sides to win on their travels on Saturday afternoon, with a strong second half performance leading them to a 2-0 victory over Bradford Town. Josh Wadham was the star for the Somerset side, scoring twice for the victors, with home keeper Adam Forster doing well to keep the scoreline to just two. Willand Rovers also picked up three points away from home, overturning an early deficit to defeat Brislington 3-2. It was Jimmy Woolland who gave the home side a 14th minute lead, but Willand were not behind for long and got level four minutes later thanks to Brad Ausden’s equaliser. Rovers went ahead through Josh Searle, with Joe Curtis volleying home early in the second half to double their lead which meant Mike Rimmer’s late penalty was nothing more than a consolation for Brislington. The most dominant performance of the day belonged to Hallen, who moved into the top half thanks to a 4-0 win at Paprika Park against Hengrove Athletic. Kyle Thomas scored in either half for the visitors, adding to goals before the break from Daryl Charman and Matt Davis as Hallen extended their winning run away from home to three matches.


First Division

Chard Town stormed to the top of the First Division following their 4-0 victory over Oldland Abbotonians at the Dening Sports Field. Having gone ahead after just four minutes thanks to the in-form Ollie Pearson, Chard gained complete control of the fixture just before the break thanks to a quick-fire double from Liam Cleal and Max Westlake. Chard have now extended their winning run in the league to three games, with Nathan Warren completing the scoring late on. Calne Town handed Keynsham their third league defeat of the season, with goals from Dan Sibley and Rory Worthington leading the Lilywhites to a 2-0 triumph at the Crown Fields. At the Lancer Scott Stadium, goals from Harry Walker and Callum Townsend saw Ashton & Backwell United overturn a half-time deficit to defeat Bishop Sutton 2-1. After six defeats, Portishead finally grabbed their first points of the campaign thanks to a 3-2 win at home to Wincanton to take them off the bottom of the table.

FA Vase

Despite Bitton seeing their defence breached for the first time this season, they progressed to the next round of the FA Vase following a 3-1 win at home to Bishops Cleeve. Josh Egan kept up his good form in front of goal for the Gloucestershire side, with summer signing Mario Mateus and Ben Harris also getting on the scoresheet for the victorious hosts. Bitton will be joined in the next round by Cheddar after the Cheesemen defeated Newton Abbot Spurs 2-0 thanks to goals from Adam Wright and Stephen Pennington. Roman Glass St George also booked their spot in the next round, after goals from Nathan Legge, Ibrahim Sarr and Tyler Davis led them to a 3-0 win over Bemerton Heath Harlequins. Sam Clarke and Leighton Thomas each score twice during Bridport’s 5-0 defeat of Warminster, while at the Southfields Rec, goals from Ryan Lane, Connor McAuley and Mike Smith secured a 3-1 win for Plymouth Parkway away at Radstock Town. In another all-Western League tie, Premier Division side Odd Down required goals from Ash McGrane and Anthony Conradi to come from behind to defeat First Division outfit Welton Rovers 2-1. After beating the same opposition 9-0 during the week in a different cup competition, Charlie Aldom’s double helped cap Cribbs’ 5-1 victory away at Shortwood United. There was late cup heartbreak for both Sherborne and Buckland who each conceded late penalties during their 1-0 losses at the hands of Almondsbury and Newquay, respectively. Westbury’s strong start to the season continued away at Petersfield Town, with a brace from Callum Demkiv coming after Joe Stradling’s opener on their way to a 3-1 triumph.

Sacha Tong and Ross Moorhead were the goalscoring hero’s for Cadbury Heath during their 2-1 win at New Milton Town, and at Days Park, Longwell Green Sports stretched their winning run to five games following a 3-0 win at Swanage Town & Herston. Two goals from Ryan Stiles weren’t enough for Wells City who fell to a 3-2 defeat at home to AFC St Austell, with Clevedon also knocked out after being defeated 3-0 by Falmouth. Adam Shipman’s extra-time goal wasn’t enough for Corsham who were beaten 2-1 by Fareham Town following 120 minutes of football at Cams Alder. Chipping Sodbury will also take no further part in the competition after losing 3-1 at home to Abbey Rangers. Captain Steve Fitzpatrick had fired the Sods ahead, before their visitors from the Combined Counties League scored three unanswered goals to seal the win. Another side to go down at home were Bishops Lydeard, with an early red card for the hosts costing them during a 4-0 defeat to Plymouth-based side Elburton Villa.


PDF Copy