6th January 2019
Number 23

FA Vase

Willand Rovers booked their spot in the last 16 of the FA Vase thanks to a 1-0 victory at home to Hamworthy United. The Western League table toppers progressed to the next round, after top scorer Luke Mortimore headed the only goal of the game in the early stages of the second half. Cribbs were unable to join Willand in the next round after goals either side of the break from Dan Mason and Lee Wort saw them suffer a 2-0 defeat at home to 2013-14 Vase winners Sholing.

Premier Division

With Willand in cup action, the chasing pack were given an opportunity to gain ground on the leaders, and Bridgwater Town made the biggest impression thanks to a 2-1 win at home to Westbury United. All the goalscoring action at Fairfax Park came before the interval, with Jake Llewellyn’s 39th minute penalty doubling the home sides lead after Jake Brown had fired them ahead. Callum Demkiv then gave Westbury a lifeline just prior to half-time, but they were unable to grab an equaliser as they suffered their second defeat in the space of ten days. Clevedon Town joined Westbury and Bridgwater on 48 points thanks to a 3-1 win over Shortwood United. Tyler Ashmead and Sam Holden each struck in the first half to put Clevedon ahead, with Lee Bowles pulling a goal back for the hosts before Syd Camper wrapped up all three points for the in-form Seasiders.

Fifth-placed Bitton snuck past Odd Down thanks to Josh Egan’s late strike, while goals from Charlie Maddison, Jamie Lyons, Martin Lenihan, Jacob Sloggett and Will Haliston helped Bradford secure a 5-0 victory over Cadbury Heath. In a surprising result at Bolitho Park, Chipping Sodbury Town ended Plymouth Parkway’s ten-match winning streak after defeating their hosts 3-2. It was Parkway who made the better start, and they went ahead after just 12 minutes through Adam Carter, but the away side battled back into the contest and found themselves a goal ahead at the break thanks to Luke Burman and Dan Dempsey. Joe White extended Chipping Sodbury’s advantage in the early stages of the second half, and despite conceding a second to Carter late on, the Gloucestershire side held on to all three points. Shepton Mallet defeated Bridport 3-0, with Kailan Gould scoring twice in the first half after Tyson Pollard had given the hosts an early lead. There was also a 3-0 success for Wellington at home to Hallen, with Jack Bryant, Joe Chamberlain and Paolo Borges each getting their names on the scoresheet. Buckland Athletic scored twice in the final 20 minutes to come from behind and defeat Brislington 3-2 at the Poplar Insulation Stadium. Riding a four-game winless run, Buckland made a strong start to the fixture, going ahead through Charlie Johansen, only to watch on as goals from Conner Biggins and Mike Rimmer turned the game in the home side’s favour. With 18 minutes left on the clock, Chris McPhee secured the vital equaliser, with the Devon side completing the victory when Ryan Bush scored the fifth and final goal of the contest. The points were shared at Oaklands Park, where Nathan Legge cancelled out Craig Parsons’ opener in the 1-1 draw between Roman Glass St George and Hengrove Athletic.

First Division

Cheddar were forced to battle hard for their latest three points, with the First Division league leaders scoring twice in the final 20 minutes to secure a 2-0 win away at Sherborne Town. Following a goalless first half, the Cheesemen were fortunate to go ahead via an own goal, with substitute Kristian Bell then scoring soon after the opener to complete the hard-fought victory. Keynsham kept pace atop the division, with Adey Harvey’s second half brace leading them to a 3-2 win at home to Chippenham Park. After Michael Grist broke the deadlock just seven minutes into the contest, the visitors from Wiltshire got back on level terms when debutant Devan Bryan headed home in the 27th minute. Harvey then took over the game, scoring twice in the space of four second half minutes to give Keynsham a two-goal lead which was halved late on by Bryan, but it was too little too late for a comeback as the hosts made a successful start to 2019. Calne Town’s impressive run of form continued at home to Radstock, where an early goal from Stuart Windsor set them on their way to a 5-0 victory. Windsor made an instant impact upon returning to the starting lineup, giving his side a second minute lead which was doubled just before the break by Charlie Norman. Shannon Pocock then put the result beyond doubt, with Matty Jenkins adding two late goals to complete the five-star performance. Warminster backed up their impressive Christmas performances by holding third-place Chard Town to a 3-3 draw at the Dening Sport Field. In a topsy-turvy encounter, Jack Miluk had fired Warminster, before Ryan Parris struck twice either side of the interval to move Chard into the lead. Charlie Walton then equalised for the visitors, with Liam Cleal restoring Chard’s advantage a few moments later, before George Butler headed home the sixth goal of the game to rescue a point for Andy Crabtree’s side.

A first half hat-trick from Lewis Russell spearheaded Welton Rovers 5-1 win away at Bishop Sutton. The home side have been struggling in front of goal recently, so when Russell beat the offside trap twice inside the opening six minutes to put Welton two up it was always likely to be an uphill battle. A sidefooted finish from Russell saw him complete his treble before the break, with Joe Battrick and Richard Hurd then adding further goals during the second half for Rovers. Corsham Town leapfrogged opponents Ashton & Backwell United up into fifth spot, after a first half brace from Jamal Chevolleau led them to a 2-0 victory at the Southbank Ground. Wells City were another side to win by two goals to nil, with James Bisgrove scoring twice in the final three minutes to claim a dramatic victory at home to Wincanton Town. Devizes were unable to maintain the half-time lead Ryan Bole gave them during a 1-1 draw away at Longwell Green Sports, while Oldland came from 2-1 down to defeat Bishops Lydeard 3-2 at Cothelstone Road. Portishead Town afforded themselves some breathing room toward the bottom of the table, scoring twice in either half to defeat Bristol Telephones 4-2. Having fallen behind, Portishead scored twice in the closing stages of the first half to lead at the break, with Alex Fox flicking home their fourth late on to end a run of five games without victory.


PDF Copy