2nd September 2018
Number 5

Midweek Action

In Tuesday’s First Division action, Devizes Town extended their winning run to three matches following a 2-0 victory at home to Wiltshire rivals Chippenham Park. Jack Hopper fired the home side into a half-time lead, before Josh Brigham converted a second-half penalty to wrap up the win. The other fixture saw Bristol Telephones and Radstock Town share eight goals in a 4-4 thriller at Stockwood Lane. On the back of a 6-5 victory four days before, Radstock were in the mood for scoring goals, and claimed a draw thanks to doubles from Sam Gregory and the in-form Kyle Norris. The Phones secured their first point of the season following the draw, with Mike Alvis, James Batch, Ryan Webber and Dhani Golding all getting on the scoresheet in a game which was 3-3 at the break.

On Wednesday, Cadbury Heath secured a terrific 4-1 win at home to Bodmin Town in the replay of their FA Cup Preliminary Round fixture. The Heath made a flying start to the game, and led 2-0 after just 14 minutes thanks to a fine double from Sacha Tong, with Kristian Lee adding a third before the break. Bodmin pulled a goal back 20 minutes from time, but the home side had the last word with Horace Ormsby’s 83rd minute goal confirming a tie with Cinderford Town in the next round.

Premier Division

In another dominant performance, Bridgwater made it 14 goals in two Premier Division games following their 8-0 win away at Chipping Sodbury Town. Starting the month on a high, the new league leaders had eight different goalscorers in the one-sided victory, with last week’s five-goal hero Jack Taylor joining Jake Brown, Tom Ellis and Harry Horton on the scoresheet before half-time. Bridgy then repeated the trick after the break, adding another four goals to their tally thanks to Sam Towler, Kurt Robinson, Ryan Burrows and Ian Bellinger.

Cadbury Heath followed up their midweek cup success with a strong showing in the league on Saturday afternoon, defeating Cribbs 2-0 at Springfield thanks to goals from Ross Moorhead and Lewis Powell. Bradford Town also secured three points after beating Shortwood United 2-1 thanks to a pair of returning forwards. Having returned from Frome Town during the week, Dan Cottle and Will Haliston made an instant impact with the former providing a pair of assists for Haliston’s match-winning brace. To their credit, Shortwood’s recent improvements continued, and they were the only side to score after the break with Jamie Walker firing home ten minutes from time. At Silver Street, Willand Rovers completed an early season league double over Devon neighbours Buckland Athletic, with Adam Kelly’s 37th minute own-goal the difference between the two sides.

First Division

Welton Rovers secured their second win on the bounce away at Wells City, with goals either side of the break from Dave Cooper and Lewis Russell leading them to a 2-0 victory at The Athletic Ground. In the other First Division tie, Dan Elson’s goal midway through the second half handed Ashton & Backwell a 1-0 victory away at Sherborne.

Corsham Town 1-0 Laverstock & Ford
Saturday 1st September
FA Vase
©John Cuthbertson

FA Vase

Westbury United produced some cup magic to reach the next round of the FA Vase, coming from behind to defeat Cowes Sports 5-3 after extra-time. Jamie Jordan and Callum Demkiv each struck before half-time for Westbury, but they trailed 3-2 at the break, with an 86th minute equaliser from Ricky Hulbert securing the extra-time period. They then took the lead for the first time in the contest through Demkiv in the 97th minute, with Hulbert adding their fifth in the second period of added time to cap a great fightback. Clevedon Town were another side to claim an impressive win on their travels, with second half goals from Callum Kingdon, Lucas Vowles and Mitch Osmond leading them to a 3-0 triumph at Crediton United. Another Western League side through to the next round are Corsham Town, with Mark Dolman scoring the only goal of the game during their 1-0 defeat of Laverstock & Ford. Nathan Legge’s double added to a goal from Lewis Wentland during Roman Glass St George’s 3-1 win away at Stockbridge. In an all-Western League tie at Bolitho Park, Plymouth Parkway got the better of Brislington, with Mike Smith plundering a hat-trick for the hosts. Stewart Yetton’s strong start to the season continued, and after he had netted the opener, Brislington got back on level terms through James Woodland on the half hour. Parkway then ran away with things after the break, with Smith’s fine treble adding to a late goal from Mike Williams.

Warminster Town returned to winning ways away at Devizes, with goals from Jake Wright and George Butler leading them to a 2-0 victory at Nursteed Road. Adam Young starred for Longwell Green Sports during their 3-2 win away at Team Solent, with his double adding to a further goal from Sam Forde to complete the away win. Odd Down came from behind to complete a 4-1 win over Shepton Mallet at the Lew Hill Memorial Ground. Dale Hunt struck seven minutes before the break to give Shepton the lead, with Odd Down sneaking in an equaliser on the cusp of half-time thanks to Adnan Hiroli’s injury-time penalty. The home side powered home in the final quarter, with James Fisher giving them their first lead of the afternoon before Ash McGrane completed the victory with a quickfire brace. The Bath side will be joined in the second qualifying round by Bishops Lydeard, after extra-time goals from Mark Clunie, Jake Quick and Ryan Brereton helped them defeat Bishop Sutton 3-0. Two goals from Matt Brown were not enough for Keynsham Town who fell to a 3-2 defeat at home to Sidmouth Town, with Oldland Abbotonians also knocked out by the same scoreline after squandering a lead during their home tie with Totton & Eling. There was an 8-0 defeat for Bristol Telephones away at Bournemouth FC, while Hengrove were knocked out in extra-time by Newquay after Luke Trowbridge’s equaliser had given them hope. A replay will be required for Bridport and Romsey Town, after a high-scoring game at the Bypass Ground. Two goals from Mark Salter, plus a strike from Leighton Thomas saw Bridport end the 90 minutes level at 3-3 with their hosts, with Oscar Latas then finding the net during extra-time to secure the 4-4 draw.

Calne Town 4-5 Fawley
Saturday 1st September
FA Vase
©Dave Gillett

There were even more goals at Bremhill View where Calne Town fell to a tough 5-4 defeat at home to Fawley, while a goal from Josh Wadham couldn’t stop Wellington suffering a 3-1 loss at home to Saltash United. Portishead suffered a 1-0 loss away at Godolphin Atlantic, with Hallen’s participation in the Vase also over after they were beaten 3-2 by Fareham Town. The improving Radstock Town side prolonged their stay in the competition after overturning an early deficit to beat Wincanton Town 2-1.

In Sunday’s tie at Hardenhuish Park, Premier Division outfit Bitton outclassed Chippenham Park of the First Division, with leading scorer Ben Bament firing home his second hat-trick of the season during a 4-0 win. Bament now has 12 goals in his seven games for the club this season, with winger Joe McClennan adding Bitton’s fourth to cap another impressive showing from Dan Langdon’s side.


PDF Copy