Match Reports

Keynsham Town 5 - 2 Bishop Sutton
First Division

Friday 29th December 2017

Keynsham Town cemented their place at the top of the Western League Division One on Friday night with a clinical second half display against a youthful Bishop Sutton side who did not deserve such a defeat and scored the two best goals of the evening writes Kerry Miller.

The clubs’ agreement to play on a Friday paid off as almost 200 watched an excellent contest which was all square past the hour mark until Town struck with a defender lying injured in the penalty area and from then on the destination of the three points was never in doubt.

On what was a murky but dry night league leaders Town started well but it was an impressive Bishop Sutton side which had the first chance with home keeper Matt Dunk superbly keeping out a Mason Daggar header. Tauren Williams then placed his cross on the head of Adey Harvey who nodded over before Craig Wilson set up Sam Duggan who went close. Sutton keeper Josh Yacub has an unorthodox method of shot stopping which he demonstrated in keeping out a Duggan shot but he could do nothing as top scorer Matt Brown broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when he flicked home a Duggan shot which was going wide. Sutton’s raids at the time were sporadic with Josh Keen forcing a corner which Adam Crooks almost forced home and the game was picking up pace with Wilson and Duggan going close either side of Jordan Anstey limping off on the half hour mark. Keen then caused some palpitations when his corner was cleared off the line by Kyle Box and as Sutton had the better of the last 20 minutes they levelled through a superb move and deft finish from Chris Hind, who was put through by Daggar.

After the break Dunk pulled off a stunning save from Keen then Kai Long nodded wide from close range as Sutton continued to compete but the Canaries were still looking dangerous and Yakub was forced into another save with his legs as Brown set up Wilson. Keynsham clicked into gear and just past the hour Kyle Box tapped in the second with Sutton’s defender prone in the box then the defence went awol for substitute Matt Curnock to net the third. With the visitors unravelling , Harvey drilled home the fourth before Brown scored his second near the final whistle. Fittingly Sam Downes crashed home a 25 yarder deep into injury time for Sutton who played their part in a fine game which was the perfect advertisement for Friday night Western League football.

Among the crowd which was almost double the club’s average, were fans and representatives from many clubs including Clevedon Town, Ashton and Backwell United, Radstock Town, Amesbury Town, Bath City, Hengrove Athletic and Westbury United while out of town visitors arrived from London, Oxford and Redditch. It all added up to a successful night and it is hoped that other member clubs will look at staging Friday night football which has proved to be a hit in other leagues around the country.

Return to Match Reports