Match Reports

Sherborne Town 0 - 0 Wincanton Town
First Division

Tuesday 26th December 2017

After much forking and preparation and an 8am start for the club volunteers in readiness for a pitch inspection, the teams ended this Boxing Day derby all square after 90 minutes of toil which produced little in the way of chances but was not short on endeavour writes Kerry Miller.

Sherborne are precariously poised just above Portishead Town at the league basement while Wincanton are safely installed in mid table and the 11.30am kick-off was a good shout for a number of reasons, not least as the clubs sensibly avoided the 1pm slot and with the weather predicted to close in dramatically in the afternoon, all the hard work got the game in and in front of a good crowd at Raleigh Grove.

Marc Caines had the first effort for the Zebras, his falling effort going just over then at the other end Lewis Voizey stabbed wide in Wincanton’s first attack of note. Sherborne could have taken an early lead when Harry Vandervell’s pace took him clear down the right but his shot froma tight angle could not beat Liam Norris and went for a corner, which was missed by all for a goal-kick.Wincanton looked to be having the best of the possession and Dan Hawkins had a shot blocked before Dan Wise’s free-kick was held at the second attempt by Josh Lucas.

Dan Golden and Voizey both sent shots wide as Wincanton looked to open their account but Sherborne were holding on and deserved to be level at the break.

With the pitch holding up very well – a testament to the work which went in – the home side took the game to Wincanton for a while after the break with Vandervell’s cross just evading everyone and being hastily cleared but the visitors soon regrouped and Kris Hastings nodded wide before Tom Morris got clear but Lucas again saved well with his legs.

The game began to get bogged down and after Connor Williams was wide Matt Brown almost snatched the win for Sherborne but the ball was scrambled off the line to safety then substitute Isaac Atherley was involved in a nice move through the middle but his shot was blocked by Norris and the spoils were shared.

With ten matches not making the cut on what is the most lucrative day of the season for attendances, the ground staff at Sherborne deserve a collective pat on the back, or at the very least a couple of ciders each for rescuing the game for the 233 who ventured out in the cold and drizzle.

Their next game is at Oldland Abbotonians on Saturday while Wincanton travel to Hardenhuish to take on Chippenham Park.

Return to Match Reports