Match Reports

Roman Glass St George 6 - 0 Devizes Town
Premier Division

Wednesday 29th November 2017

Roman Glass St George posted their intentions of going top of the First Division before the game on Wednesday night and within a minute had backed up their words when Lewis Wentland powered forward and his left foot drive with their first attack was too good for Devizes keeper Adam Walters writes Kerry Miller.

It set the scene for the Romans’ second six goal haul in three games and made it an impressive 15 goals scored and none conceded in a week which has indeed seen them go top of the table on goal difference from Keynsham Town. However, despite the early strike, the Wiltshire side weren’t there to make up the numbers and created chances themselves in the first half before being buried in a string display after the break.

Ken Oni was to go on to claim an excellent hat-trick but his first strike was inches away before Cullen Wylie volleyed wide for the visitors six minutes later and Jack Hopper escaped from half-way with the defence appealing in vain for offside only to be denied by a fine save from Josh Dempsey who was superb all evening. As Devizes attacked on the Oaklands Park 4G surface which is ideal for passing football, Jake Roberts shot over from distance then Hopper again brought a fine save out of Dempsey following a crisp move. However, the misses would haunt them as Oni found room on the left and his finish was again too good for Walters to make it 2-0 with less than 15 minutes gone.

To their credit Devizes did not lie down as a win would have taken them to within a point of the top six but the two goal deficit at the break looked to be too much and so it proved.

From the restart Oni and strike partner Ryan Radford, who was a handful on night, attacked with Oniu escaping again and his cross flying past the onrushing Radford but Devizes almost struck back seconds later when Robbie Whyte’s long range effort brought yet another save from Dempsey, who was surprisingly busy considering his side would go on to net a half dozen. It was the turning point as on 49 minutes following fine work from Jason Burt Radford moved inside and unleashed a curler over Walters and in off the bar and from then it was a case of how many.

Oni was then put through as the visiting defence began to show signs of tiring but having rounded Walters he shot wide but just before the hour Roman Glass made it 4-0. Lewis Wentland hit a shot from 20 yards which Walters could only parry out to Oni and this time he made no mistake from close range. Town boss Darran Walters reacted by introducing Luke Enderby and Jamie Wallen but it made little difference as Sam Wentland set up Radford who was denied by Walters then following another quick break Jacob Watson drove wide.

Home boss Andy Gurney then threw on Jordan Yeo and Ben Harvey and it was soon 5-0 as Oni finished another move well to complete his hat-trick before being replaced by Drew Hamilton-Dunn. Town were looking for a consolation which they in truth deserved and Jamie Walters was twice unlucky with strikes from distance but Dempsey was faultless in goal although he could do little as Wallen nodded a free-kick just wide then Roberts hit another just over.

It was left to Jason Burt to complete the scoring in injury time when a corner was not cleared to make it the round half dozen and take Bristol’s oldest football club to the top of what is turning out to be a fascinating season in Division One.

Return to Match Reports