Match Reports

Brislington 1 - 2 Clevedon Town
Premier Division

Tuesday 19th September 2017

Clevedon move to eighth in the table with games in hand after a late Sekani Simpson goal finally got them over the line at Brislington, who played most of the game with ten men following the straight red card given to Aaron Cornwall, writes Kerry Miller.

In truth it was a largely forgettable and occasionally niggly game which won’t live too long in the memory of the crowd of 51, kept low by the added attraction of Bristol City v Stoke City down the road at the same time.

Clevedon were without half the regular side for various reasons and gave a debut to 18 year old Bristol City goalkeeper Alhaji Sesay, who had a composed game, despite conceding the penalty which gave the home side a lifeline. Sesay was spotted playing locally in London and had never been attached to a club and he and his family have Dutch passports having moved to Holland from Sierra Leone 15 years ago.

The highly-rated teenager agreed a two-year deal with City, but has signed for Clevedon as regular keeper Damian Freeman is unavailable.

On what was a difficult pitch, Bris had the first chance when Frank Gingell found Fabian McCarthy but his effort was blocked for a corner then at the other end Ryan Gissing began what was an eventful, and at times painful, evening when he drove just wide from well out. That was the last meaningful action with 22 on the pitch as on 12 minutes Cornwall lunged in on Gissing and was shown a red card by referee Ed Watson before Gissing had stopped rolling.

To the credit of the home side they showed no signs of crumbling and with the hard running Ryan Bath and free-scoring Neikell Plummer up front there was always the possibility of goals at Ironmould Lane.

Kane Ingram’s dead ball kicks cause problems for most sides and Bris were no exception as his corner found Glen Hayer, whose effort was finally cleared after a scramble. Having already lost one man early, the home side could easily have gone nine down soon after when Liam Planter tripped Gissing in full flight and then appeared to tread on him, but referee Watson sided with the accidental theory and Planter escaped although he was later booked.

Ingram then drove wide for Clevedon which prompted a long and loud one way discussion from home keeper Chris Blammon which would indicate that the Tourettes awareness classes don’t appear to be going too well.

Clevedon were using the width of the pitch to stretch the ten men and Blammon did well to tip over a shot from Callum Kingdon before Brislington were given the lead two minutes from the break. Town keeper Sesay blotted his copybook by clumsily flattening Bath in the area and Plummer rolled in his tenth goal in 11 games so far from the penalty spot.

It was not the end of the half, however, as right on the whistle Simpson and Isaac Reid combined for Tyler Ashmead to equalise with a crisp finish.

The second half began in tetchy style as Planter was booked for a foul on Liam Dempsey but the football surfaced as Town skipper Ollie Barnes saw his free-kick saved by Blammon and Bath showed skill to win a corner at the other end. Plummer then flicked a header just wide when he could possibly have done better and Clevedon’s Reid was inches wide with a curling shot from 20 yards.

Blammon then kept out Gissing’s header and doubled up by saving Hayer’s effort from the corner as Bris battled to keep a least a point intact. Kingdon was next in the book for a foul but with ten minutes to go Clevedon upped the tempo and Ingram again went close as his free-kick was shovelled away by Blammon.

Finally, the pressure told as another foul gave Ingram the chance to drive a curling free-kick over Blammon and under the bar leaving Simpson to volley home the winner from all of three inches out.

Return to Match Reports