Match Reports

Street 3 - 0 Bridgwater Town
Premier Division

Tuesday 15th August 2017

Street moved up to fourth in the Premier Division table, three points adrift of leaders Melksham but with a game in hand after Tuesday’s derby victory over Bridgwater Town writes Kerry Miller.

It was a win which was not as straightforward as it appears, with the pace of finishing power of former Robin Craig Herrod proving the catalyst for the victory with two stunning goals, either side of half-time. Street were without the suspended Josh Wadham but still boasted a strike force of Dave O’Hare, Steve Murray, Harry Foster and Herrod, all of whom have hit the net in the first three league games but it was the visitors who made the first chance with Syd Camper finding room on the left to cross for Steve Holland, who was inches away from connecting.

Street regrouped quickly and after Ross McErlain had his shot saved by Jake Viney, Herrod tested him from a corner and Foster also went close with an effort which brought a corner. Herrod then showed what was to come with a left foot drive which flew just wide and Bridgy were under the cosh and it was little surprise just past the half hour when McErlain’s flick on put Herrod through on goal and having outpasced the defence he tucked the ball home under Viney for the opener, momentarily silencing the large away following.

Herrod and Murray then combined down the left but Foster could not get enough on the pass and the ball was scrambled clear as the visitors clung on. When they did find the Street penalty area they were too often guilty of giving away free-kicks which nullified their attacks with excellent referee Iain Parsons never more than a few yards away from the action.

After the break Herros again was causing no shortage of grief for the away defence and his long run was eventually blocked before Foster shot wide with Street’s first effort of the half. Foster then took one for the team when he was cautioned for a trip on an escaping Jake Llewellyn, son of former Bristol City favourite, Andy Llewellyn and from the free-kick Jack Jenkins twice saw his efforts blocked in what was a sustained spell of dominance for the Robins. Josh White saw his header scrambled off the line which provoked a mad scramble which came to nothing then Jenkins drove over from 25 yards as his side threatened to get level around the hour mark.

Murray became the third Street booking for a challenge on Llewellyn, although the game was never unpleasant, but with a classic counter striker Street scored again to effectively seal the deal. Herrod again picked up a loose ball in midfield and from 30 yards out thrashed it into the net off the underside of the bar for what could already be a contender for goal of the season.

To their credit Dave Pearse and Karl Baggaley’s side did not lie down but despite a double substitution with Callum Ham and Kyle Paine slung on, Street again went for a counter punch and Murray escaped before being pulled down in the area by Lee Begg and he slammed home the penalty himself to make it 3-0 with 15 minutes left.

Begg should have reduced the arrears soon after but blazed a volley over from close range and Camper’s drive from all of 35 yards brought a flying save from Tom Punchard who then denied Ham with what was the final play of the match.

The impressive attendance of 206 were well entertained and Street kept their 100 per cent record while Bridgwater will play worse and win games this season as they look to consolidate in the Western League after a torrid last few seasons in the Southern League.

This was the first league clash between the two for 11 seasons, according to Roger Palmer’s superb match programme, and all will be looking forward to the return two days before Christmas.

Return to Match Reports