19th April 2019
Number 38

Midweek Action

Cadbury Heath’s Matt Huxley stole the show on Tuesday evening, scoring all four goals in his sides resounding victory over Bridport at Springfield. Having put the hosts ahead from the sport midway through the first half, Huxley added three further goals during the second half to take his season tally to 29 on an enjoyable night for the Heath fans. The other Premier Division fixture between Cribbs and Bridgwater ended goalless as both sides registered their ninth draws of the season. In the First Division, Devizes Town responded well to their poor showing last weekend with a 5-1 win away at Bristol Telephones. Sam Dodds struck twice for the away side, with Tom Slater and Matt Lever also finding the back of the net in a one-sided encounter. There was also a first Devizes goal for youngster Joe Green, with the relegation-threatened Phones now having conceded 20 times during their four-match losing run.

Premier Division

The top three are still separated by just one point following big wins on Good Friday. Current table toppers Plymouth Parkway defeated fellow Devon side Buckland 5-1 despite not scoring until the early stages of the second half. A goalless first half at Bolitho Park descended into a goal fest after the break, with Adam Carter and Mike Smith firing Parkway two goals ahead inside seven minutes of the restart. Richard Groves then pulled a goal back for Buckland, before Carter and Smith each scored again to put the hosts 4-1 up. With 12 minutes left on the clock, Jordan Annear added Parkway’s fifth goal, just moments after replacing Carter as a second half substitute. Willand Rovers remain hot on Parkway’s tail, mirroring their 5-1 victory at St Mary’s Field against Bridport. Rovers had a strong start to the game, and led by two goals thanks to Brett Worbey and Brad Ausden before Kameron Andrews responded for the hosts ten minute prior to half-time. Luke Alden then took over the game, scoring twice to put Willand out of sight, with Ben Bickle adding the visitors fifth and final goal in the closing stages. 

Bitton remain firmly in the title race, and racked up another home victory, seeing off Cadbury Heath by four goals to two. The hosts flew out of the blocks, and found themselves three goals to the good inside 15 minutes thanks to Alex Grimshaw, Ben Bament and Dean Griffiths. The Heath then pulled a goal back, before Griffiths struck on the half hour to restore Bitton’s three-goal advantage. In a Somerset derby, Bridgwater defeated Wellington 4-1 to consolidate fourth spot. An 11th minute volley from Patrick O’Halloran was the only goal of the first half, with Jake Llewellyn doubling Bridgy’s lead from the spot eight minutes after the interval. Tom Hawkings halved the deficit soon after Llewellyn’s spot kick, but Bridgwater pushed on in the final 25 minutes, with goals from Ian Bellinger and Sam Towler wrapping up the victory. The individual performance of the day belonged to Tyson Pollard, with the Shepton Mallet frontman notching a hat-trick during his side’s 4-1 triumph at home to Odd Down. Bradford Town are now up in sixth after they handed out a heavy 5-2 defeat to Westbury at Trowbridge Road. The hosts made a strong start to the game, with Simon Prangley firing them ahead from the spot, before Tom Stocks buried a second following a set piece. Westbury’s task became tougher when they lost Callum Demkiv to a straight red, with Matt Morris extended Bradford’s lead soon after. Dan Kovacs gave United fans something to cheer about at the end of the first half, but Bradford were soon three goals to the good once more when Will Hailston tucked the ball home. Steve Hulbert got another goal back for Westbury, but Bradford had the last word with Hailston completing the scoring 15 minutes from time. Two goals at the end of the first half from Jordan Lovibond handed Cribbs a 2-0 win away at Roman Glass St George, while Luke Burman’s brace helped lead Chipping Sodbury Town to a 4-0 win away at Shortwood United. Despite suffer relegation earlier in the week, Hengrove afforded their supporters some Easter cheer thanks to a 2-1 win away at Brislington. Two goals inside the opening 20 minutes from Luke Trowbridge saw the Grove take control, with a second half effort from substitute Oaklan Buck the only goal Brislington could muster. Hallen moved up two spots to 14th after coming from behind to beat Clevedon Town 2-1. It was a fast start to the contest at the Hand Stadium, with Syd Camper putting the hosts ahead in the 12th minute, only for George Binding to level the scores four minutes later. With quarter of an hour remaining, Jack Mills was given his marching orders, but the ten men of Hallen managed to muster a late winner with Aaron Anglin netting from the penalty spot.

First Division

Keynsham Town now just need one more point from their final two fixtures to officially be confirmed as First Division champions. The K’s fifth consecutive victory, coincided with another slip-up by Cheddar who are now six points behind with just two games left. Keynsham defeated relegation threatened Oldland Abbotonians 2-0 away from home, with goals either side of the interval from Stefan Lee handing them the crucial three points. Cheddar meanwhile relied upon a late equaliser to gain a 1-1 draw away at Bishop Sutton. Having fallen behind on the half hour, the Cheesemen weren’t quite ready to hand over the title and managed to grab a share of the points at Lakeview thanks to Adam Wright’s spot kick seven minutes from time. Corsham’s excellent end-of-season form shows no signs of slowing up, with a 2-0 victory over Devizes their sixth on the bounce. Having taken a back seat to Jamal Chevolleau’s recent heroics, it was Josh Bright who starred at the Southbank Ground, with his two goals in the final 25 minutes handing the home side a win on derby day. Welton Rovers secured their first win at Southfields in five years to end Radstock’s three-match winning streak. A goal after just four minutes from Sam Stoppard set Welton on their way, with the in-form Aaron Seviour then adding a second 25 minutes from time. The Miners set up a nervy end to the game when they pulled a goal back in the final 15 minutes, but they couldn’t find an equaliser and still require a point to be assured of survival. Fourth placed Ashton & Backwell defeated Portishead 2-1 thanks to late goals from Dan Elson and Callum Townsend, while Bristol Telephones remain rooted to the bottom after losing 3-2 at home to Longwell Green Sports for whom Courtney Charles struck twice. There was a goalless draw at the Athletic Ground between Wells and Warminster, but in the day’s early kickoff, a 35th minute penalty from Josh Williams helped Sherborne claim a slender 1-0 victory at home to WincantonBishops Lydeard made it three wins from three in April, after claiming a 3-1 victory over Chard Town. Having gone ahead in the 16th minute through Zac Ryder, Lydeard conceded to Andrew Holmes early in the second half as the home side looked to maintain their own six-match unbeaten run. Second half sub Harry Millar made an instant impact, scoring with his first touch 20 minutes from time to restore the away side’s lead, with Luke Wandless then scoring the final goal of the game soon after.


PDF Copy