Sunday 14th April 2019
Number 37

Midweek Action

This season’s Les Phillips Cup final will see Willand Rovers and Plymouth Parkway face off after they came out on top in Wednesday’s last four ties. Three goals in the space of 12 first half minutes helped fire Parkway to a 4-1 win away at Cadbury Heath, who had knocked out the holders Buckland at the quarter-final stage. An early brace from Adam Carter was followed by a goal in the 29th minute from Ryan Lane to help the away side take complete control of the semi-final. Ben Allen pulled a goal back for the Heath just after the hour mark, before Mike Smith struck Parkway’s fourth to keep their treble hopes alive. The other side making the trip to Sherborne for the final in the first week of May will be Willand after they overcame Bridgwater on penalties following a 1-1 draw at Silver Street. Unsurprisingly, Bridgwater’s goal was scored by Jack Taylor, with their leading marksman smashing home a half-volley in the 22nd minute thanks to an excellent ball through from Jake Llewellyn. Willand were then reduced to ten men on the hour mark when Josh Searle was shown his second yellow, but with nine minutes remaining, they managed to grab an equaliser through second half substitute Ben Bickle. The game ended one apiece at the end of 90 minutes, and thanks to a pair of saves in the shootout from visiting keeper Mike Searle, Willand prevailed 3-2 on spot kicks to set up an all-Devon final.

24 hours earlier, Keynsham Town regained top spot in the First Division, scoring twice in the dying moments to secure a controversial 2-1 win away at Wincanton Town. With all the pressure in this fixture on the promotion-chasing K’s, they trailed for much of the night following a first minute goal from Connor Williams. Just as a sixth league defeat looked on the cards for the visitors, they levelled things in the 90th minute through Tom Knighton. Keynsham then pushed forwards again, and with their next attack they went ahead when Craig Wilson slotted home in the fourth minute of stoppage time. That was just the start of the late drama however, and having fallen behind, Wincanton were awarded a penalty which captain Dan Wise fired into the net. The referee had spotted encroachment by another Wincanton player however, deciding to then disallow the goal and awarding Keynsham a free-kick which enabled them to see out the victory.

Premier Division

The top three all remain separated by just one point after all picking up convincing victories over bottom half opposition on Saturday afternoon. Plymouth Parkway retained their one point advantage in the title race after claiming a 2-0 win away at Odd Down. Parkway flew out of the blocks, scoring twice in the opening 15 minutes through Rob Farkins and Adam Carter to defeat the Bath side. Willand rebounded from their defeat last week by putting bottom side Shortwood to the sword at Silver Street. A first half double from Luke Mortimore put Rovers in command at the break, with goals from Brad Ausden, Aidan Moyle and Dean Stamp putting the result beyond doubt. Mortimore then completed his hat-trick in the closing stages to cap a perfect performance from Willand which has helped their goal difference considerably. Free scoring Bitton condemned opponents Hengrove to relegation following a one-sided 6-1 victory at Paprika Park. The game was over by half-time, with Bitton four goals to the good thanks to a double from Ben Bament, plus further goals from Joe McLennan and Scott Brice. Bament’s excellent season in front of goal shows no signs of slowing up, and he completed his treble ten minutes after the interval, with Ibrahima Diallo adding Bitton’s sixth prior to a consolation from Hengrove’s Mickey Parsons. Clevedon Town leapfrogged opponents Buckland up into sixth following an impressive 2-1 victory at Homers Heath. George King opened the scoring for the visitors, before Buckland’s in-form frontman Ryan Bush levelled things from the spot two minutes before half-time. The deciding goal four minutes into the second half was worthy of winning many a game, with King letting an unstoppable shot fly from long range into the back of the Buckland net. 

Bradford Town also secured a 2-1 victory away from home, with a stoppage time goal helping them defeat Hallen. Will Hailston’s fine opener had put Bradford ahead, before the home side hit back through Caelen Simpson to level the scores midway through the second half. With a draw looking the only possible outcome, Leon Greenland popped up in injury time to score Bradford’s second to secure a 15th league win of the campaign. Wellington’s final home game this season ended in success, with four second half goals leading them to a 4-2 victory over Bridport. An own goal from Tim Legg had seen Bridport lead at the break, but Wellington were soon ahead in the second half, with Jack Bryant and Joe Chamberlain each scoring within six minutes of the restart. Chris McGrath was then dismissed for the visitors, and Wellington took full advantage, with Chamberlain and substitute Lewis Pocock each scoring in the final 20 minutes to cap a dominant second period from Clive Jones’ side. Two late goals saw Chipping Sodbury Town come from behind to defeat Shepton Mallet 2-1 at The Ridings. After Tyson Pollard’s deflected free kick looked to have landed an away win for Shepton, Sods struck twice in the final ten minutes through Josh Cann and Dan Dempsey to claim a dramatic win. There was also late drama in Wiltshire, where Westbury’s Steve Hulbert scored in injury time to rescue a 2-2 draw with Cribbs. After Dan Kovacs had given the home side an early lead, headed goals either side of the break from Jason Vincent had put Cribbs on course for a fourth-straight win away from home. United had other ideas however, and with time almost up, Hulbert headed home to help his side grab a share of the points at Meadow Lane. Cadbury Heath now have ten league wins this season, after goals in either half from Sacha Tong helped them to claim a 3-0 triumph over Roman Glass St George.

First Division

With three games now remaining, Keynsham have built a four-point lead over title rivals Cheddar after the Cheesemen were forced to settle for a draw against Oldland Abbotonians. With relegation still a possibility, Oldland are fighting for their lives, and were close to claiming all three points after going ahead 20 minutes from time. Cheddar managed to grab a last gasp equaliser when Craig Mawford popped up at the back post, but didn’t have time to push for a winner as the game ended one apiece. Keynsham meanwhile, had no problems in beating Bristol Telephones 5-0 once Craig Wilson had fired them ahead early in the second half. Following a goalless first half, Wilson’s effort soon after the break opened the floodgates, with Tom Knighton, Harley Purnell, Mitchell Purnell and Jordan Anstey adding to the K’s tally. Corsham’s march towards clinching third spot continued on Saturday, with Jamal Chevolleau scoring once again during their 1-0 win at home to Chippenham Park. The big winners at the bottom were Portishead and Radstock, with both sides scoring three times during big away wins to put distance between themselves and the bottom two.

Portishead were comfortable 3-0 victors at Nursteed Road, with a brace from Alex Harlington sandwiching a goal from Robbie Cox during their defeat of Devizes Town. Things were tougher for Radstock who had to overcome a half-time deficit to win 3-2 away at Wincanton. The hosts took a one-goal lead into the interval thanks to Toby Cole’s opener, before a brace from Sam Gregory and a strike from Jack Biddiscombe turned the game in Radstock’s favour. A late goal from Dan Wise set up a tense finish, but the Miners hung on to climb up to 16th thanks to a third successive victory. Bishops Lydeard recovered from a poor start to their game with Sherborne, conceding in the very first minute before claiming a 3-1 victory at Cothelstone Road. Following the early setback, Lydeard got back on level terms in the 21st minute through Zac Ryder, before a second half double from Ryan Brereton completed the comeback. At Shellards Road, an 83rd minute goal from Matt Hudson handed Calne a 1-0 victory away at Longwell Green Sports, while a late penalty helped Bishop Sutton claim a 2-2 draw away at WarminsterAshton & Backwell returned to winning ways, holding off a late charge from Wells to secure a 2-1 victory. Having gone ahead in the 31st minute through Paul Uppington, Ashton looked to have assured themselves of three points when Dan Elson slotted home their second 15 minutes from time. Wells were then awarded a penalty two minutes later which Lewis Williams smashed home, but City were unable to find an equaliser and fell to defeat at the Lancer Scott Stadium. Chard Town’s encouraging end to the season continued at West Clewes where they claimed a 3-2 win over hosts Welton Rovers. Nathan Warren’s third minute opener was followed by an unfortunate Aaron Cockerill own goal to give Chard control of the game, before Aaron Seviour struck soon after to half Welton’s deficit. Warren restored Chard’s two-goal lead on the half hour thanks to his second of the afternoon, with Rovers frontman Seviour scoring the only goal of the second half 20 minutes from time.


PDF Copy