7th April 2019
Number 36

Midweek Action

The eagerly anticipated clash between the two runaway leaders in the First Division went Keynsham’s way on Tuesday evening, with a pair of second half goals leading them to victory over Cheddar. The game at Bowdens Park had one major flashpoint before the interval, with Cheddar reduced to ten men following a straight red card to Stephen Pennington. Keynsham took advantage of having an extra man, with a fine header from Stefan Lee putting them ahead ten minutes after the break. With time running out, Cheddar’s Callum Laird struck the bar with a header of his own, and from the resulting counter attack, Keynsham wrapped up the crucial victory thanks to a strong finish by Matt Brown. Welton Rovers reached the 50-point mark, with Dave Cooper’s goal handing them a 1-0 win away at Chippenham Park, while the fixture between Portishead and Chard ended goalless. There points were also shared at Lakeview, where Sam Thomas struck an injury time equaliser to help Ashton & Backwell claim a 2-2 draw with Bishop Sutton.

Plymouth Parkway remain on track to defend the Devon FA St Lukes Challenge Cup, after coming out on top of a seven-goal thriller away at Cullompton Rangers. With a place in the final at stake, Parkway fell behind in the opening minute, before goals from Jordan Annear and John Heveran in the final seven minutes of the first half handed them a goal lead at the break. Ash Donohue then struck his second of the match to bring Cullompton level, before the hosts went ahead just after the hour mark through Lewis White. Parkway’s Adam Carter then took over the game, levelling the scores ten minutes from time, before slotting him a decisive penalty in the first minute of stoppage time to secure the semi-final victory.

Wednesday’s Premier Division action saw Cribbs and Bridport share six goals in an entertaining mid-table affair at The Lawns. After Cribbs powered into a two-goal lead thanks to goals from Tom Burns and Sol Wanjau-Smith, Bridport got back into the game on the cusp of half-time thanks to an Ed Butcher penalty. Sam Clark then levelled the scores 13 minutes into the second half, before Cribbs restored their lead through 20-goal striker Jason Vincent. Having salvaged a point in stoppage time on Saturday away at Westbury, Bridport repeated the trick four days later, with Butcher’s second of the evening making it three apiece.

Premier Division

With three weeks of the league season remaining, the race for the Premier Division is headed towards a fascinating crescendo, with the top three separated by just one point. Long-time leaders Willand are now down into second spot after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Cribbs. The home side struck in either half, with Akibodin Akiwumi giving Cribbs the lead, before George Kellow fired home a second half penalty to wrap up the victory. Plymouth Parkway now sit top of the table by one point after drawing 1-1 with fourth-placed Bridgwater Town at Bolitho Park. Parkway had to come from behind to gain a point, with Jake Brown putting the visitors ahead, before Adam Carter looped a header into the Bridgwater net during first half stoppage time. Bitton took full advantage of their title rivals each dropping points, with only goal difference keeping them third following a one-sided 7-0 win away at Roman Glass St George. Ben Bament was very much the star of the show at Oaklands Park, notching four of Bitton’s seven goals, with Billy Fletcher, Joe McLennan and Alex Grimshaw joining him on the scoresheet. Westbury United secured their first win in over a month, defeating Hallen 4-3 in one of Saturday’s many high-scoring encounters. After Jason Henley scored his first for the club from long range, Westbury conceded a quick equaliser to Kyle Thomas, before Dan Kovacs struck a quick-fire double to hand the away side a 3-1 lead after just 22 minutes. The first half goalscoring had not ended there, and after Aaron Anglin had pulled a goal back for the hosts, Henley supplied a fine cross from the left for Joe Stradling to head home Westbury’s fourth in the 42nd minute. Hallen fought back once more, with George Binding reducing the deficit to one, but that was how it remained during the closing stages, and United hung on for all three points. There were also seven goals in the game at St Mary’s Field, where Bridport defeated Odd Down 4-3 to leapfrog their opponents in the league table. Similarly to the game at Hallen, there was plenty of early goals, with Ed Butcher and Mark Salter firing Bridport into a two-goal lead, before Adnan Hiroli halved the deficit from the spot all inside 16 minutes. Just as though it felt like the game had settled down, George Lloyd picked up the ball on halfway, racing clear and slotting home an equaliser for the Bath side ten minutes before the break. Bridport came out strongly in the second half, and after Luke King had put them back ahead, Butcher scored his second of the afternoon to help them move into a two-goal lead. Darius Davey set up a nail-biting final 20 minutes when he tucked home Odd Down’s third, but they were unable to find an equaliser.

Sixth-placed Buckland overturned an early deficit on their way to a 4-2 victory at home to Brislington. Having fallen behind to Jayden Nielson’s fifth minute opener, the in-form Ryan Bush levelled things for the Devon side, before goals in the opening moments of the second half from Charlie Johansen and Richard Groves gave the hosts a two-goal advantage. Jason Hughes struck midway through the second period to give Brislington hope of a point, only for Groves to slam home his second in stoppage time to end Buckland’s five-match winless run. Wellington’s poor spell of form was brought to an end in spectacular fashion, with the Tangerines defeating Hengrove Athletic 5-0. The Somerset side went ahead from the spot after just five minutes, with Josh Wadham converting from 12 yards following a foul on Jack Bryant in the box. A dominant first half performance from the hosts saw them lead by three at the interval, with Conor Bryant striking twice for Clive Jones’ side. Sam Jones drove home Wellington’s fourth from outside the box ten minutes after half-time, with youngster Lewis Pocock completing the scoring in the closing stages. Clevedon Town beat bottom side Shortwood 3-0 at the Hand Stadium, with George King scoring the only goal of the opening half in the 26th minute. A mistake by the visiting keeper then teed up Syd Camper to fire home an in-direct free kick from seven yards out, before Will Mann curled home Clevedon’s third 20 minutes from time. Cadbury Heath’s Matt Huxley scored an equaliser six minutes from time to help them gain a 1-1 draw away at Shepton Mallet, with James Billing having earlier put the home side ahead. There was also a 1-1 draw at Trowbridge Road, where Simon Prangley’s second half penalty saw Bradford Town cancel out Luke Henderson’s opener for their visitors from Chipping Sodbury.

First Division

Cheddar capitalised on Keynsham’s match being postponed, jumping back into top spot following a 3-1 victory away at Calne Town. Keynsham now have a game-in-hand in the title race, but will have to overtake the Cheesemen once more, after a goal from Chris Coombs was followed by a second half brace from Adam Jones to hand Cheddar their 25th league win of the campaign at Bremhill View. Jamal Chevolleau was the hero for Corsham Town, scoring all three of their goals in a dramatic 3-2 win away at Wells City. Following a goalless opening half, Connor Linham put Wells ahead, with the home side looking to back-up last weekend’s win over Cheddar. Corsham are third for a reason however, and after Chevolleau had drawn the visitors level from the penalty spot, he then completed the turnaround ten minutes later, taking advantage of a miss-hit shot from teammate Ben Wickens. Wells responded to going behind for the first time, scoring an equaliser of their own ten minutes from time through Dale Hunt, but Chevolleau had the last word, completing his hat-trick four minutes from time with a well-taken volley. 

Warminster Town have now eight of their last nine matches after claiming a 1-0 victory away at Oldland Abbotonians. Martin Johnson scored the only goal of the game, knocking in George Butler’s cross to help Warminster rise all the up to sixth in the league table. A solitary goal was also enough for Longwell Green Sports to move up to fourth, with Courtney Charles scoring at Shellards Road in their victory over Ashton & Backwell United. At the opposite end of the league, three relegation-threatened sides picked up huge wins to move away from the bottom two. At Cothelstone Road, a pair of goals in the final 20 minutes from Jake Quick and Ryan Brereton saw Bishops Lydeard defeat Welton Rovers by two goals to nil. Radstock Town made it back-to-back wins, beating fellow bottom-six side Bishop Sutton 3-0 at Lakeview. A tenth minute goal from Morgan Skipp set Radstock on their way, with James Rustell and second half substitute Jack Biddiscombe completing the scoring after the break. Portishead Town’s excellent home form help carry them to a 2-0 win over Sherborne Town. Since the turn of the year, Portishead are unbeaten in all six matches at Bristol Road, picking up 16 points from a maximum of 18 which could prove crucial in their fight for survival. Chippenham Park missed out on a great opportunity to claim three points, relinquishing a two-goal lead in their 3-3 draw away at Chard Town. Having taken a 25th minute lead through Dan Warre, Park couldn’t stop Andy Holmes’ effort from the edge of the area which levelled the scores at the end of the first half. The Wiltshire side then struck twice in quick succession at the start of the second half through Lewis Ellington and Joel Smedley to go 3-1 up as they looked to rebound from their midweek defeat to Welton. Chard are not facing the same pressure as their opponents at this stage of the season, and after 16-year-old Marky Jones pulled a goal back for the hosts, they managed to grab a share of the points thanks to Kieran Bailey’s leveller 20 minutes from time.


PDF Copy