24th March 2019
Number 34

Midweek Action

Western League sides were competing in four different tournaments on a busy Tuesday evening, with plenty of goals in both league and cup ties. In the Premier Division clash at Homers Heath, Mickey Parsons scored three equalisers to help Hengrove gain a 3-3 draw away at Buckland. In the battle of the Athletic’s, Ryan Bush made it four goals in two games to give the home side a 2-1 lead at the break. Having already struck in the first half, Parsons levelled the scores again ten minutes after the interval, only for James Richards to restore Buckland’s lead on the hour mark. With Hengrove heading to defeat, Parsons popped up with his hat-trick goal in the first minute of stoppage time to bring an end to the entertaining encounter. The points were also shared in the First Division tie between Bristol Telephones and Chippenham Park, with the bottom two sides both ultimately disappointed not to come out with the much-needed victory.

Cribbs crushed Henbury 6-2 at the Lawns to secure their spot in the Gloucestershire FA Challenge Trophy final. The home side stormed into a three-goal lead, with Lewis Hedges, Matt Spiller and Jason Vincent all scoring in the opening quarter of the match before a pair of goals at the end of the first half helped Henbury back into the game. Cribbs then replicated their first half goal tally after the break, with Vincent, Sam Iles and Sol Wanjau-Smith all finding the back of the net to book a place in April’s final where they will take on Bishops Cleeve. The Cheltenham side knocked out Bitton on penalties after the sides shared six goals in a hard-fought semi-final. Ben Bament had given Bitton an early lead, before the away side scored three unanswered goals to lead 3-1 in the early stages of the second half. A penalty 13 minutes from time by Bament gave Bitton a lifeline, with skipper Scott Brice then striking in stoppage time to level things up in the closing minutes. Aysa Corrick’s early miss proved to be pivotal in the spot kicks, with Bishops Cleeve nailing all five of their attempts to secure victory. In another last four encounter, goals from Ed Butcher and Ben Morris were not enough for Bridport, who fell to a 3-2 defeat at Wimborne Town in their Dorset FA Senior Cup.

Premier Division

Two late goals saw Willand Rovers claim a 4-2 win away at Chipping Sodbury Town, helping them to maintain their one point lead atop the Premier Division. Rovers had twice gone ahead earlier in the contest, with Luke Alden and Ben Bickle putting them ahead, only for George Box and Sean Keets to equalise for the Sods on both occasions. With just 12 minutes left on the clock, Willand’s most reliable forward stepped up, with Luke Mortimore handing them their third lead of the match with a fantastic overhead kick before Bickle scored his second to wrap up the three points. Plymouth Parkway remain hot on Willand ‘s tail, and are continuing to rack up wins, with their latest coming in the form of a 4-0 victory away at Westbury. The only goal in the first half came from a set piece, with Jordan Trott’s inswinging corner headed home by centre forward Adam Carter 31 minutes in. A mistake by the home defence opened a path for Parkway skipper Shane Krac to double the lead two minutes after the break, with Krac then sent off soon after as both sides found themselves reduced to ten men. The Devon side pushed on in the final quarter of the match, and after Carter doubled his tally, Jordan Annear brought an end to the scoring having earlier entered the field as a second half substitute. Joe McLennan spearheaded Bitton’s fightback away at Wellington which has kept them in touch with the top two. Following 40 goalless minutes, it was Wellington who surged ahead, with Joe Chamberlain striking just moments after Bitton went close to breaking the deadlock at the other end. The break came at a good time for the visitors who flew out of the blocks and were level within three minutes of the restart thanks to a McLennan half volley. The winger was then hauled down in the Wellington box less than two minutes later, and Dean Griffiths dispatched the resulting spot kick to complete the turnaround and register Bitton’s 24th league win of the season.

The star of the day was Bridport’s Ed Butcher, who scored a hat-trick during his sides 4-0 win over Shepton Mallet. Butcher scored the only goal of the first half, with Sam Clark adding Bridport’s second on the hour mark just moments after coming off the bench. Butcher then returned to score twice in the final 13 minutes to help bring an abrupt end to his side’s five-match winless run. Cribbs have now won seven of their last eight in all competitions after claiming a 4-2 victory away at Buckland Athletic. The visitors led by two goals to one at half-time, with Sol Wanjau-Smith and George Kellow scoring either side of an effort from Chris McPhee. A quick-fire double from Jason Vincent midway through the second half helped Cribbs surge towards victory, with Ryan Bush heading home a late consolation for Buckland. Bridgwater Town held off a light fightback from Hengrove to win 2-1 at Fairfax Park and move up to fourth in the league. A goalless first half was followed by a more dramatic second with Sam Towler and Jake Brown scoring in the space of three minutes to open up a two-goal advantage in the home team’s favour. Jack Goddard then pulled a goal back for Hengrove, but their chances off gaining a positive result all but ended ten minutes from time when Jack Fillingham was given a straight red card. In south-east Bristol, Brislington came out on top in their bottom-four clash against Roman Glass St George, with Connor Biggins scoring the only goal of the game midway through the second half. Clevedon’s struggles in the month of the Match continued at the Hand Stadium, where Charlie Maddison and Will Hailston scored either side of the break in Bradford Town’s impressive 2-0 victory. At Springfield, Matt Huxley’s penalty saw Cadbury Heath secure a share of the points during their game with Odd Down, after Reeko Best’s first goal for the Bath side had put them in position to gain back-to-back wins. Hallen collected their tenth league win of the campaign, with goals from Aaron Anglin, Daryl Charman and Kyle Thomas leading them to a 3-0 triumph at home to basement boys Shortwood.

First Division

The lead atop the First Division has switched hands once more, with Cheddar’s 3-0 victory at home to Ashton & Backwell propelling them back into top spot. The Cheesemen did all of their damage in a 20-minute spell during the first half, with Sam King’s well hit free kick putting them ahead in the 20th minute. Adam Jones then played in Adam Wright who doubled the lead three minutes later, before a Danny Griffiths header extended the advantage at the end of a dominant first half. Keynsham Town dropped back down into second after battling out a goalless draw away at fourth-placed Longwell Green Sports. Fifth spot still belongs to Corsham, who scored three times in either half of their 6-1 win away at Bristol Telephones. Jon Bazley struck twice in the closing stages of the first half, either side of an effort from Josh Bright to give the Quarrymen a commanding three-goal lead at the interval. Nick Chandler then struck a brace, before Zac Hillier added a late sixth against a Telephones side who ended the game with eight men due to discipline and injury issues. Calne Town ended a nine-match winless run by defeating the in-form Sherborne Town 3-1 at Raleigh Grove. The visitors made a strong start to the contest and were ahead inside six minutes through Tom Boakes, only for Sherborne to level things on the half hour mark when Haydn Hodges continued his impressive run in front of goal. Robbie Mitchell then struck 13 minutes into the second half to restore Calne’s advantage, with Joe Williamson rounding the keeper and tucking home their third ten minutes from time. Warminster’s strong run has seen them rise to eighth in the league, with Jake Wright’s second half effort giving them their latest three points at the hands of Radstock. Another team to win by one goal to nil were Welton Rovers, with a stoppage time strike from Joe Garland lifting them past Oldland Abbotonians at West Clewes. After entering the fray during the second half, Garland was teed up by fellow substitute Harry McLachlan before curling the ball home from the edge of the box to claim the nail-biting victory at the end of added time. There was also late drama at Nursteed Road, where an injury time equaliser from Charlie Crook helped Wells City claim a 1-1 draw against Devizes, for whom Matt Russell had given the lead midway through the second half. The points were shared in Wincanton as well, where the home side scored the fourth and final goal during their 2-2 draw with Bishops Lydeard. All four of the goals came after the break in this one, with Jamie Irwin firing the home side ahead, before Jake Quick and Harry Millar turned the game in Lydeard’s favour. Then, with just seven minutes left on the clock, Connor Williams poked the ball home to register a league-high 12th draw of the season for Wincanton. Bishop Sutton drew 0-0 with Chard Town, while Portishead eased their relegation fears with a 3-0 victory over Chippenham Park.  


PDF Copy