22nd April 2018
Number 39

Midweek Action

The semi-final line-up for the Les Phillips Cup was finally complete on Tuesday following Buckland Athletic’s extra-time victory over Brislington. After taking the lead 18 minutes from time via a Craig Duff header, the home side were unable to hold onto their advantage, which led to the extra half-hour at Homer’s Heath. Having regained the lead in the first half of the extra period through Gavin Hammon, Buckland confirmed their passage through to the final four following further goals from Cliff Walters and Joe Webber.

Having spent months at the top of the table, Street’s confirmation as champions of the Premier Division came on Tuesday evening following a 5-1 win over Bitton. The Cobblers did much of their damage after the break with David O’Hare netting a hat trick during the triumphant win, which extended their victorious run to 26 matches. In the battle to finish in second position behind Street hotting up, Bradford Town dropped two points after relinquishing a lead during their 1-1 draw with Bridgwater Town. Having gone ahead thanks to a fine effort from Matt Morris, Bradford were forced to accept a point following a goal 15 minutes from time by Bridgwater’s top scorer Jack Taylor. At Springfield, Matt Huxley kept up his scoring goalscoring form, striking the only goal of the game two minutes from time to hand Cadbury Heath a 1-0 win at home to Clevedon Town. Two goals apiece from Tyson Pollard and Isaac Reid led Shepton Mallet to a 4-2 victory away at Chipping Sodbury Town, while in Bristol, Hallen and Cribbs each scored in the final 20 minutes during their 1-1 draw.

Radstock Town 0-1 Westbury United
Tuesday 17th April
©John Newport

Westbury United claimed a vital win in the First Division, defeating Radstock Town 1-0 in a tricky fixture away from home. Jamie Jordan smashed a free-kick in off the underside of the bar to give Westbury the lead after half an hour, and thanks to their sixth clean sheet in eight fixtures they held on to take home all three points. A pair of late goals from Adam Jones and Ollie Hucker led Cheddar to a 2-0 triumph at home to Ashton & Backwell United, while James Boyland’s strike five minutes from time saw Chard Town claim a 1-0 win away at Welton Rovers.

Malmesbury Victoria suffered their third defeat at the Flying Monk Ground in the month of April, losing 5-1 at home to Devizes Town. The visitors only led by the odd goal at half-time before storming to victory with Jack Hopper, Tom Slater, Jamie Walters and Rory Collins. There was a 1-1 draw between Almondsbury and Wincanton Town with Greg Parr scoring for the hosts before Kieran Davis responded just after the half hour. Bristol Telephones turned their half-time advantage into three points, eventually beating Oldland Abbotonians 3-2. Having trailed 2-0 at the break, Oldland got level thanks to goals from Josh Williams and Jordan Chubb before their hosts grabbed the winner with Dhani Golding and Lee Pitman accounting for their goals in victory. In Wednesday’s lone clash, goals from Harry Turner and Sam Farthing saw Sherborne Town claim a crucial 2-0 victory over Calne Town at Raleigh Grove.

On Thursday evening, Mike Perrott scored the only goal of the game as Melksham Town defeated Bridgwater Town 1-0. Playing in front of the biggest crowd of the night, Perrott headed home a corner 15 minutes from time to defeat their visitors who ended the game with nine men following a pair of second-half dismissals. Bitton claimed a 14th league win of the season against Bridport, with Josh Egan scoring in either half for the away side before Mark Salter struck for the hosts. At the Lew Hill Memorial Ground, Buckland Athletic came from behind on two occasions to draw 2-2 with Odd Down. First half goals from Ash McGrane and Adnan Hiroli for the hosts sandwiched an effort from Richard Groves, with Buckland skipper Liam Head then popping up with an equaliser ten minutes after the break. There was also a draw in the fixture between Brislington and Wellington, with Glen Wright equalising for the visitors during the second half as the game finished 1-1. Bottom side Wells City produced a terrific comeback to draw 3-3 with Cadbury Heath having earlier trailed by three at the half-time interval. After Sacha Tong had opened the scoring in the 10th minute, a brace from Matt Huxley had given the away side what looked like an unassailable lead at the break. However, Wells had different ideas, with Mark Randall reducing the arrears on the hour mark. James Bayliss then grabbed Wells’ second with 13 minutes left on the clock, before Alex Gibilaro headed home a dramatic equaliser in stoppage time to claim their first point since mid-February.

Keynsham Town edged to a crucial three points in the First Division title race on Tuesday, with second half goals from Harley Purnell and Nathan Curnock helping them claim a 2-1 win away at Corsham Town. The same scoreline produced itself at Bremhill View where goals from Joe Delaney and Jason Radnedge saw Ashton & Backwell United defeat Calne Town 2-1. Devizes Town were another side to come out on the right side of a 2-1 result, with goals from Matt Lever and Matt Russell helping them defeat Chard Town for whom Liam Cleal scored in defeat. Radstock Town defeated Bristol Telephones for the second time in four days, overturning a two-goal deficit at the break to eventually claim a 3-2 win. The Phones had control at half-time thanks to goals from Dhani Golding and Ben Griffiths, before a brace from James Rustell and a Morgan Skipp strike helped Radstock complete the double over their opponents.

On Wednesday night, Melksham Town overcame an early red card and a half-time deficit to win 3-2 away at Wellington. The visitors made the worst possible start, falling a goal behind in the second minute and losing their keeper, leaving them to utilise an outfield player in goal for the remainder of the fixture. With the game over an hour old, the ten men equalised through Jon Davies, and then five minutes later they took a shock lead through Gary Higdon. Wellington responded well to falling behind and levelled things up 13 minutes from time, but with the game in stoppage time, the drama was complete, with Francois Allen grabbing Melksham’s winner. There was also late goals at Silver Street, where Ryan Guppy equalised for Willand Rovers in the 88th minute during their 1-1 draw with Hallen who had taken the lead ten minutes from time through Daryl Charman. In another fixture with affected matters at the top of the First Division, Westbury United’s impressive home form continued with a 4-1 win over Welton Rovers. Following a cagy opening half hour, midfielder Josh Ferguson headed Westbury into the lead, and they quickly added a second with Dan Kovacs awarded too much space in the box before slotting home. An unfortunate own-goal extended the lead to three, with Kovacs then adding his second of the game before Malick Jammeh came off the bench to grab a consolation from the spot for Welton after he had been felled in the box.

Welton Rovers v Chard Town
Tuesday 17th April
©MIP Photography

In the First Division, Roman Glass St George suffered a slight slip-up in their pursuit of the title, drawing 2-2 away at Almondsbury. Ashley Knight and Greg Parr each struck before the break to put Almondsbury in control, with very late goals from Joe Swift and Lewis Wentland then enabling Roman Glass to snatch what could be a pivotal point. Two goals from James Quick and a Jack Kelly strike saw Bishops Lydeard defeat Cheddar 3-1, while the fixture between Bristol Telephones and Corsham Town finished goalless. Devizes Town were another side to claim a big away win, with Jack Hopper, Matt Russell, Matt Swann and Jamie Walters all getting on the scoresheet during their 4-0 victory over Wincanton Town. The in-form Liam Gale was amongst the goals for Oldland Abbotonians once more, with his late strike adding to earlier goals from Jordan Chubb and Scott Gregory during their 3-2 win away at Welton Rovers. The fixture at Bristol Road between Portishead and Radstock finished one apiece, with the visitors equalising in the dying moments after James Griffiths had put the Possets ahead.

Premier Division

Street’s incredible winning run in the league finally came to an end on Saturday afternoon after they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Brislington. The champions made the perfect start, and were ahead after just six minutes when Jake Mawford’s free-kick proved too hot to handle and nestled in the Brislington net. The visitors had had a relatively strong start to April, and they struck twice in the lead-up to half time which handed them a goal lead at the break. The Cobblers have produced a few fightbacks of late to retain their winning run, and after Josh Wadham had stroked home a penalty eight minutes from time it was a slight surprise that they didn’t find time for a winner.

In the game of the day, Bradford Town snuck a winner two minutes from time to complete a 4-3 victory over Buckland Athletic. Bradford shot into a three goal lead inside the opening quarter of the contest, with Will Haliston putting them ahead, before Karim Rendall and Dan Cottle struck in quick succession. Craig Duff and Richard Groves got Buckland back into the contest, and then with less than ten minutes left on the clock they manged to get on level terms after Ryan Bush took advantage of a defensive mishap. A stunned Bradford side managed to regroup, and having seen their three-goal lead swallowed up, they hit back soon after Bush’s leveller, with Sam Jordan scoring a dramatic winner.

Bridgwater Town 3-2 Cadbury Heath
Saturday 21st April
©Debbie Gould

At Fairfax Park, Bridgwater Town struck twice in the final five minutes to claim a 3-2 win at home to Cadbury Heath. Michael Duffy missed a penalty after just three minutes for the home side, who fell behind soon after to Sacha Tong’s opener before Dave Pearse registered an equaliser. After Tong had tapped home his second of the afternoon in the early stages of the second half, Bridgwater left it late before responding, with Jack Jenkins heading them level before Tom Stone also nodded the ball home to complete the late salvo. It was a memorable afternoon for Bridport’s Mark Salter after he scored career goal number 500 during his side’s 2-0 win over Clevedon Town. Following Oscar Latas’ opener, Salter added a late header to complete the win, reaching the historic goalscoring milestone in the process. There was also a 2-0 win for Hengrove Athletic at home to Wellington, with Giorgio Mancini scoring in either half for the Grove. Odd Down went one better, defeating Longwell Green Sports 3-0 following a first half brace from Ash McGrane after Kyle Norris had fired them into a 10th minute lead.

Shepton Mallet 1-0 Hallen
Saturday 21st April
©Haydn Jones

There was also an away win for Willand Rovers, with Fletcher Williams’ goal on the hour mark proving enough to defeat Bitton 1-0. There was also a 1-0 victory for Shepton Mallet at home to Hallen, with Tyson Pollard setting up Joe Morgan for the winner midway through the first half.

First Division

There was more late drama for Roman Glass St George who relied on an 88th minute goal to defeat Ashton & Backwell United 1-0. Just as it looked as though they would suffer a second straight draw, Sam Wentland tapped the ball home two minutes from time to help the Glass remain top of the pack.

Keynsham Town moved to within a point of second-placed Westbury after storming to a 4-0 win at home to Welton Rovers. Top scorer Matt Brown scored the only goal of the first half, with a long range effort from Craig Wilson and an Adey Harvey header adding to the tally after the interval.

Sherborne Town made it three wins out of four at Raleigh Grove, smashing seven past Bishop Sutton. The signs were bad for the away side who went behind after less than 45 seconds to Marc Caines’ opener. Sam Farthing then headed home Sherborne’s second, before Harry Turner made it three in the early stages of the second period. The Dorset side ran rampant in the final quarter of the match, with Luke Jackson, Sam Jarman, Tim Trevett and Dan Quirke all adding to the one-sided 7-1 scoreline.

Aside from their midweek blip, Cheddar are a side in serious form, and their latest three points came at the expense of Calne Town, with Ross McNabb and Adam Jones both heading home during a 2-1 win. Devizes Town moved up to fifth, after a brace from Tom Slater followed on from Jack Hopper’s opener during their 3-0 win at home to Bishops Lydeard, while Chard Town claimed a 3-1 win at home to Oldland Abbotonians to complete their perfect week. Having already dispensed of Calne and Welton, Chard made it three wins on the bounce thanks to a double from James Boyland plus a late goal from Steve Friend, with Liam Gale claiming a consolation for the visitors.

Games are coming thick and fast for Wincanton Town, and at the end of a four-game week, goals from Conor Williams and Marcus Cook before half-time saw them defeat Bristol Telephones 2-0. Almondsbury backed up a fine performance on Thursday against promotion chasing Roman Glass with a 4-1 triumph at home to Portishead Town thanks to goals which came from Greg Parr, Ashley Knight and Danny Lane.

Warminster Town 1-3 Corsham Town
Saturday 21st April
©John Cuthbertson

Corsham Town produced another fine comeback to defeat Warminster Town 3-1, handing them their 10th league win of the campaign. Having fallen behind to Charlie Walton’s opener, Corsham hit back just prior to half-time with Robbie Tripp heading home, with further goals after the break coming from Ben Wickens and substitute Jayden Papy. At the Flying Monk Ground, Radstock Town secured a 3-2 win over Malmesbury Victoria to keep up their chase for fourth spot.


PDF Copy