15th April 2017
Number 37

Midweek Action

On Tuesday evening in the Premier Division, Brislington stormed to a 4-0 win away at Bitton. The game started perfectly for the visitors with Danny Barwood scoring in the first minute of the match to hand them an early lead. It got better for Brislington after the break with Neikell Plummer scoring twice before Josh Williams completed the victory late on. In a repeat of the 2016, Gillingham Town suffered defeat in the Dorset Senior Cup final at the hands of Southern League outfit Weymouth. The game which was played at the home of Dorchester Town was a tight affair, and was only decided in extra-time with Stephane Zubar's goal in the 112th minute handing the Terras a 1-0 win.

Premier Division

Bristol Manor Farm are champions of the Premier Division following their 30th league win of the season, a 2-0 away triumph at Hallen. Troy Simpson opened the scoring for the visitors in the 11th minute, with Harley Purnell then doubling their advantage in the early stages of the second period to confirm the title win. Street remain in second-place following a 4-0 win away at Bridport. David O'Hare scored either side of half-time for the away side, with Steve Murray and captain Ben Amghar also getting on the scoresheet. On Thursday evening, Jared Lewington scored all four goals in Buckland Athletic's 4-0 win over Devon rivals Willand Rovers at Homers Heath. Lewington scored three first-half goals to put Buckland out of sight, before completing the scoring in the 76th minute.

Bristol Manor Farm
Melksham Town fought back from a goal down to defeat Bradford Town and complete the league double over their hosts. Dan Cottle had opened the scoring for Bradford, before the hosts were reduced to ten men in the opening stages of the second half after Ricky Scott was dismissed. Gary Higdon and Jake Hiscocks were among the scorers as Melksham built a 3-1 lead, with Nathan Flower scoring a late consolation for the hosts. A brace of set-piece goals from Ben Wych fired Odd Down to a 2-0 win over Brislington, while a double from Joe Morgan plus a goal from Rhys Cook helped Shepton Mallet claim a 3-2 win away at Wells City. Goals from the prolific George King as well as Jack McKenna and Liam Clayton saw Cribbs claim a 3-1 win over Clevedon Town, while Harry Baker notched his 21st league goal of the season in Gillingham Town's 2-1 win over Sherborne Town. Longwell Green Sports made it two home wins in a week following a 1-0 triumph over Bitton, while Cadbury Heath secured a 2-0 win at Springfield against Chipping Sodbury Town.

First Division

Hengrove Athletic returned to the top of the First Division following a 1-0 win over Keynsham Town. A 49th minute goal from Joe Brimble proved to be the difference between the sides as Hengrove built up a five point lead over their visitors. Wellington dropped down into second spot on goal difference following a 0-0 draw away at Bishops Lydeard, with Cheddar gaining ground in third after Robbi Maggs scored the only goal of the game in their 1-0 win at Bishop Sutton. In the lone fixture to take place on Thursday night, goals from Marc Scammell and Darrin Moss led Chippenham Park to a 2-0 win away at Calne Town.

Corsham Town v Devizes Town
©John Cuthbertson
Corsham Town's strong home form continued, after goals from Alessandro Zarrelli and Aaron Masson helped them defeat Devizes Town 2-0. Radstock Town completed their second Coalfield Derby win of the season, with Jake Wyatt's goal helping them to a 1-0 win over Welton Rovers. Stephen Friend scored twice in the final 20 minutes to salvage a 3-3 draw for Chard Town against Wincanton Town. James Boyland had fired Chard into a 25th minute lead, before goals from Pat Golden, Tom Morris and Connor Williams put the visitors two goals ahead until Friend struck in both the 72nd and 81st minute to save a point for the hosts. Westbury United shared the points for just the third time this season, coming from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Warminster Town in front of 355 fans, the biggest attendance for a First Division clash so far this campaign. Aaron Read scored goals at both ends during Ashton & Backwell United's 1-1 draw away at Portishead Town, while a hat-trick from Jamie Packer saw Malmesbury Victoria surge to a 5-1 win away at Oldland Abbotonians. At the bottom, Almondsbury UWE kept alive their slim hopes of an unlikely escape following a 2-1 win over Roman Glass St George.


PDF Copy