2nd April 2018
Number 36

Midweek Action

On Monday evening in the Premier Division, Andy Martin’s 33rd minute free-kick saw Bridport claim a 1-0 victory at home to Bridgwater Town. The following day, Reeko Best’s solitary strike helped Bitton defeat Wells City, while a brace from Jake Thomas led Chipping Sodbury Town to a 3-0 win at home to Clevedon Town. At Springfield, Tyson Pollard plundered a hat-trick, with Isaac Reid and Joe Morgan also chipping in with goals, during Shepton Mallet’s 5-1 victory away at Cadbury Heath. Another side to score five away from home were Hengrove Athletic, with John Durbin’s side overcoming a late fightback to defeat Hallen 5-3. First half goals from Joe Brimble and Craig Parsons had given the visitors a healthy advantage which was extended soon after the break thanks to Rhys Hickery. Toby Osman pulled a goal back for the hosts, before a pair of quick-fire goals from Luke Crewe and Craig Parsons gave the Grove a four-goal lead with 25 minutes left on the clock. Darryl Charman and Osman gave Hallen hope of a remarkable comeback, but there were no further goals in the final ten minutes allowing Hengrove to take home all three points.

In the First Division, there were a trio of draws on Tuesday evening, with Devizes Town twice coming from behind to claim a 2-2 stalemate with Cheddar. After goals from Nathan Best and Steve Sokol had put the Cheesemen ahead on two occasions, the ten men of Devizes claimed a point thanks to goals from Jamie Wallen and Tom Slater, with the latter scoring from the spot two minutes from time. Josh Hughes struck from the home side during Malmesbury Victoria’s 1-1 draw with Bishop Sutton, while Aaron Ledgister and Lewis McCarron bagged goals for Chippenham Park to help them draw 2-2 with fourth-placed Radstock Town. In cup action, Wellington suffered a 4-1 defeat to Paulton Rovers in their Somerset Premier Cup semi-final.

Good Friday

Premier Division

Shepton Mallet v Wells City
©Haydn Jones

Shepton Mallet made it three straight league victories on Good Friday thanks to a 1-0 win over Wells City. The hosts only need a single goal to defeat the bottom side, with Ashley Willmott’s 23rd minute strike doing the trick for Mallet. Wellington responded to their cup defeat in midweek in fine fashion, defeating the in-form Bridgwater Town 3-1. After going ahead through Sam Towler, the home side were awarded a penalty which Ian Bellinger converted to double the advantage after just 28 minutes. Glen Wright then struck Wellington’s third in the opening stages of the second half, before substitute Tom Llewellyn struck for Bridgwater just moments after entering the field to grab a consolation.

At the Rapid Solicitors Ground, Longwell Green Sports were ahead at the break, only to draw 2-2 with Bitton. After falling behind to Luke Bryan’s early goal, Longwell Green turned the game on its head thanks to strikes from Ben Allen and Conor Davis. The visitors were unable to hold on during the second half however, and were forced to make do with a point following Alex Grimshaw’s equaliser. A fourth game at the Oakfield Stadium between Melksham Town and Bradford Town did get underway, but with the away side leading 2-0 at the break, the officials were forced to abandon the fixture due to a waterlogged pitch.

First Division

Devizes Town v Corsham Town
©John Cuthbertson

Westbury United maintained their winning run at Meadow Lane, with a 3-0 victory over Warminster Town. Following Ricky Hulbert’s header in the first half, further goals after the break from Mark Robinson and Martin Johnson secured all three points for the table-toppers. The league’s leading scorer Matt Brown struck in either half during Keynsham Town’s 4-1 defeat of Oldland Abbotonians at Crown Field. Ben Bament fired the K’s ahead on his home debut, before Craig Wilson finished off a fine team goal to double the lead in the 23rd minute. Brown then get in on the act, adding his side’s third just prior to half-time, with the prolific frontman adding their fourth late on after Oldland had threatened a fightback at the beginning of the second half. Roman Glass St George remain in second spot, surviving a pair of Ashley Knight goals to come from 2-1 down to beat Almondsbury 4-2 at Oaklands Park. Rhys Hodgson scored twice for the hosts, with further goals from Jake Cox and Ryan Radford. Bishops Lydeard moved up into tenth spot, after a brace from Ryan Brereton helped them beat Chard Town 4-2. After opening the scoring from outside the area after just 40 seconds, Brereton watched on as teammate Mark Clunie fired home a fifth minute penalty to double the early lead. Ryan Paris then pulled a goal back for Chard in the 15th minute, before Jordan Lovibond restored the home side’s two-goal advantage just prior to the interval. Liam Cleal’s 55th minute effort got Chard back into the game once more, but it was Brereton who had the last word, ending the scoring four minutes from time. Devizes Town survived conceding a goal to Corsham Town’s goalkeeper Joe King during their 3-1 victory at Nursteed Road. King’s wind assisted effort levelled the score at the time, but it was Devizes who ran out winners thanks to goals from Matt Russell, Ashley Lock and Josh Brigham. Chippenham Park have now picked up seven points from a possible nine on their recent travels, following a 3-2 victory at Bremhill View against Calne Town. After falling behind to Stuart Windsor’s 10th minute strike, Park came from behind to claim the win with Jamie Norman, Matthew Mead and Jamal Chevolleau all chipping in with goals before Billy Boakes’ late consolation for the hosts.

Easter Monday

With bad weather came more postponements, and in the Premier Division, Cribbs’ reward for being the only side to get their game on was a 4-2 victory at home to Melksham Town. After Gary Higdon had cancelled out Charlie Aldom’s opener, Cribbs took advantage of a red card to Melksham keeper Rob Brown, with Dan Spicer firing them ahead from the spot just before half-time. Higdon levelled things once again with his second of the afternoon, before goals from Aldom and Jack McKenna in the final half hour led Cribbs to all three points. In the First Division, Roman Glass St George moved into top spot following a 4-1 win over Oldland Abbotonians, while Chippenham Park and Bishops Lydeard drew 0-0.


PDF Copy