25th March 2018
Number 35

Midweek Action

Hallen made it back-to-back wins in the Premier Division on Tuesday evening, beating Cadbury Heath 3-2 thanks to goals from Luke Mills, Matt Davis and Tom Collett. There was also victory that night for Bridgwater Town, with Jack Taylor’s 63rd minute strike leading them to a 1-0 win over Odd Down at Fairfax Park. On Wednesday, Bridport stormed to a 6-1 triumph at home to Wells City, following a trio of braces from Oscar Latas, Mark Salter and Leighton Thomas, while goals either side of the break from Saikou Janneh and Jack Sell saw Clevedon Town defeat Wellington 2-0. At Trowbridge Road, Street’s march towards the title continued with a strong 3-0 win over second-placed Bradford Town. Having taken a first-half lead thanks to an own-goal, further strikes after the break from Craig Herrod and Josh Wadham saw the league leaders extend their advantage atop the table to 15 points with nine games remaining.

In the First Division, Westbury United defeated promotion rivals Roman Glass St George 3-0 to end a run of two home games without victory. After leading scorer Dan Kovacs opened the scoring in the 14th minute, Westbury doubled their advantage in the lead-up to half time through Jamie Jordan. After the break, the visitors were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty, before the result was put beyond doubt following Josh Ferguson’s fierce strike from outside the area to make it 3-0. The other team tussling for the title, Keynsham Town, defeated Devizes Town 1-0 despite being down to ten-men for an hour of the match. After James Ollis’ 33rd minute dismissal, Keynsham were up against it, but managed to grab all three points after Jordan Price scored the only goal of the game 17 minutes from time. Elsewhere on Tuesday, Antony Brown, Krystian Hext and Jamie Packer were all on the scoresheet during Malmesbury Victoria’s 3-1 win at home to Oldland Abbotonians. There was also a 2-0 victory for Calne Town away at Portishead Town, thanks to goals from Rory Worthington and Max Wyatt, while top scorer James Rustell was among the scorers as Radstock Town beat Corsham Town 4-1. On Wednesday, Bristol Telephones claimed their first three points since January thanks to a 4-2 defeat of Welton Rovers, while second half goals from Liam Cleal and Steve Friend helped Chard Town come from behind to defeat Bishops Lydeard 2-1. On Thursday, Bitton booked their spot in the Gloucestershire Challenge Trophy final after Luke Bryan scored twice on their way to a 3-0 win over Hardwicke.

Les Phillips Cup

Street have brought their fine league form into the Les Phillips Cup, with Richard Fey’s charges booking their spot in the semi-final thanks to a 3-0 win at home to Cribbs. After powering into a two-goal lead after 12 minutes thanks to Steve Murray’s early double, Harry Foster wrapped up the victory with a third late on. Bridgwater Town will join Street in the last four, after defeating Bitton 4-0 at Fairfax Park. After setting up Ryan Burrows for the opener, Jack Taylor doubled the home side’s advantage just before half-time. Taylor then put the result beyond doubt with his second of the afternoon before Jack Jenkins scored from long range five minutes from time to complete the scoring.

Premier Division

Melksham Town ended the week in second spot after a 21st minute goal from Rob Hobbs handed them a 1-0 victory away at the in-form Hengrove Athletic. At the Ridings, a hat-trick from George Box led Chipping Sodbury Town to a surprise 3-1 victory over Bradford Town. Sodbury hadn’t gained three points for over two months, and they found themselves level at the break after Bradford’s Matty Morris had cancelled out Box’s opener. Box then struck midway through the second period to restore the home side’s lead, before completing his treble five minutes from time following a well worked counter-attack. At the Hand Stadium, Brad Ausden’s penalty and a second-half strike from Aidan Moyle led Willand Rovers to a 2-0 win away at Clevedon Town, while the fixture between Wellington and Hallen finished goalless. Ben Allen and Joe Woodley starred for Longwell Green Sports during their 3-1 win over relegation rivals Wells City, and in Bath, Odd Down defeated Cadbury Heath 3-2 thanks to an opening minute goal from Ash McGrane and a pair of free-kicks from Lewis Dunn.

First Division

Devizes Town v Bishop Sutton
©Dave Giles

Westbury United completed the perfect week, defeating promotion rivals Keynsham Town 2-0 at Meadow Lane. Following victory over Roman Glass on Wednesday evening, Westbury backed that up with another crucial three points, seeing off Keynsham thanks to goals either side of the break from Joe Stradling and Josh Ferguson.

Roman Glass St George responded well to their defeat in midweek, winning 1-0 away at Welton Rovers thanks to Joe Swift’s 59th minute penalty. Jack Hopper’s brace, plus goals from Josh Brigham and Tom Slater led Devizes Town to a 4-0 triumph at home to Bishop Sutton, while a very healthy crowd of 264 were in attendance from Corsham Town’s goalless draw with Chippenham Park. Despite losing star man Harry Vandervell to a 16th minute injury, Sherborne Town defeated Warminster Town 2-0 thanks to second half goals from Marc Caines and Tim Trevett.


PDF Copy