26th March 2017
Number 34

Midweek Action

On Tuesday evening, Hengrove Athletic maintained their winning run with a 2-0 victory away at Chippenham Park. Both sides were in excellent form coming into the First Division fixture, but it was Hengrove who came away with all three points thanks to first-half goals from Ben Crewe and Asa White. Also on Tuesday, Cadbury Heath booked their spot in the final of the GFA Challenge Trophy following a 3-2 win away at Brimscombe & Thrupp. After Matt Huxley and George Boon had scored for Heath, the game was level at 2-2 going into the final ten minutes before Simon McElroy grabbed a winner six minutes from time to see them progress to the final. In Wednesday night’s lone fixture to beat the weather, neither Ashton & Backwell United or Radstock Town could break the deadlock in their First Division clash at the Lancer Scott Stadium.

Les Phillips Cup

In the final second round fixture to take place, a first-half double from Harry Baker saw Gillingham Town book a quarter-final with Roman Glass St George thanks to a 2-1 win over Bradford Town at Hardings Lane.

Premier Division

Bristol Manor Farm took another big step towards claiming the Premier Division following a 4-1 triumph over Buckland Athletic at The Creek. Their 28th league win of the season has extended their lead at the top of league to 13 points and was started in fine fashion midway through the first half by Jordan Metters opener. Troy Simpson then doubled the hosts advantage early in the second-half, before Ben Bament scored twice late on to cap the win, either side of a Jared Lewington consolation for Buckland.

Bristol Manor Farm v Buckland Athletic
©Keith Fussell
Melksham Town also enjoyed a fine win on home soil, with Luke Ballinger’s brace, plus a goal from Dave Thompson helping them defeat Bridport 3-0, while at the Rapid Solicitors Ground, Alex Camm struck nine minutes from time to give Clevedon Town a 1-0 win over Bitton. Hallen eased their relegation fears thanks to a 4-1 win at home to Sherborne Town. In a battle between the bottom two sides prior to kick-off, Hallen stormed out of the blocks and were 3-0 ahead at the break thanks to goals from Aaron Anglin, Tom Collett and Scott Thomas. Sherborne grabbed a goal back early in the second half, before the home side had Santiago Escalano sent off, but the ten-men regrouped and wrapped-up the win thanks to Collett’s second goal of the game 20 minutes from time. Willand Rovers were another side to produce a dominant first-half performance, with goals from Matt Dawson, Mike Williams and Ryan Guppy before the break helping them to a 3-0 win over Chipping Sodbury Town. In the fixture at Ironmould Lane, Cribbs defeated Brislington 4-1 to consolidate eighth spot.

First Division

Hengrove Athletic moved top of the league following a 3-0 win over Roman Glass St George. It took until 49 minutes for Hengrove to break the deadlock with Lewis Dunn scoring the first of his two goals, with Elliot Saunders also finding the back of the net in a one-sided second half. Keynsham Town claimed their second win on the bounce, with first half goals from Matt Curnock and Matt Brown firing them to a 2-0 win away at Calne Town. At Meadow Lane, Westbury United made it six league wins on the bounce, with debutant Ricky Hulbert scoring twice in their 3-1 win over Oldland Abbotonians 3-1. Another team bang in form are Chippenham Park, and they claimed their seventh win in eight games thanks to a 3-2 triumph over Ashton & Backwell United. The hosts found themselves starring down the barrel at 2-0 down before battling back with goals from Aaron Ledgister, Darrin Moss and Scott Fear helping them move up to 13th. Corsham Town claimed their first win in 11 games, with Josh Bright’s double firing them to a 2-0 victory over Malmesbury Victoria.

Corsham Town v Chippenham Park
©John Cuthbertson
Wellington relinquished top spot after dropping two points in a 1-1 away draw with Devizes Town. The Somerset side took the lead 15 minutes into the fixture through Conor Bryant, but couldn’t hold on to what would have been a crucial three points with Bryant inadvertently deflecting a cross from Luke Enderby into his own net. Almondsbury UWE’s recent upturn in form came to an almighty halt after they were thumped 6-0 by Bishop Sutton at Lakeview. An unfortunate own-goal from Josh Skelly-Rogers set the home side on their way, before Alex Chapman added two goals before the break to extend Sutton’s lead. The second-half score mirrored that of the first, with Omar Simpson scoring twice either side of an opportunist goal from Courtney Charles. A goal just after the hour mark from James Rustell fired Radstock Town up into fifth following a 1-0 home win against Warminster Town. In the game at Bristol Road, Kieran Marsden equalised late on to rescue a 1-1 draw for Portishead Town who had fallen behind to a goal from Wincanton Town’s Tom Morris.


PDF Copy