12th March 2017
Number 32

Midweek Action

On Monday evening in the Premier Division, runaway leaders Bristol Manor Farm suffered just their second league defeat of the season, going down 2-1 to Melksham Town. Dan Demkiv was the hero for Melksham, scoring in either half, before the visitors, who lost Lloyd Mills following to a red card, scored 15 minutes from time through Peter Sheppard but couldn’t force the equaliser. On Wednesday evening, Cribbs made it three wins on the bounce in all competitions following a 4-3 win at home to Bridport. George King scored twice for the hosts, with Darren Edwards and Thomas Burns also grabbing goals against a Bridport side who have now lost nine from nine in the league. In the First Division on Tuesday there were a pair of away wins, with David Saffa scoring the only goal of the game in Oldland Abbotonians’ win over Portishead Town, while Ken Oni scored twice, and Lewis Wentland once in Roman Glass St George’s 3-2 victory at the Flying Monk Ground against Malmesbury Victoria who had Sam Parker to thank for their goals. Calne Town were knocked out of the Wiltshire Senior Cup at the semi-final stage, following a 4-0 defeat against Swindon Supermarine at Hardenhuish Park.

Les Phillips Cup

Asa White’s 16th minute strike was the difference between the sides as Hengrove Athletic secured their passage through to the quarter-final following a 1-0 triumph away at Wellington.

Premier Division

Bristol Manor Farm got back to winning ways at the weekend, with Aron Robbins’ solitary goal after the break leading them to a 1-0 win at home to Cribbs. Street kept up the pressure on the leaders following a 5-2 win away at Willand Rovers. Richard Fey’s men were level at the break before producing an excellent second-half performance, with Craig Herrod scoring a brace to go alongside further goals from David O’Hare, Dale Hunt and Steve Murray. Dan Cottle fired in a hat-trick as Bradford Town wracked-up a 4-1 home win against Longwell Green Sports. Cottle opened the scoring, before the visitors equalised moments later as the team’s went to half-time all-square. Cottle doubled his tally in the early stages of the second-half, with Kurt James then scoring his first for the club to make it 3-1, before Cottle completed his hat-trick in a comfortable win. Gillingham Town also enjoyed a 4-1 victory after putting Clevedon Town to the sword at Hardings Lane. Goals either side of the break from Ashley Clarke and Harry Baker had given the hosts control of the game, before Kevin Camargo smashed home a volley to half the deficit as the game reached the hour mark. Clevedon were still pushing for an equaliser before Lewis Morgan struck twice in injury-time to wrap-up the win for Gillingham.

Bristol Manor Farm v Cribbs
©Keith Fussell
Brislington scored twice in the final five minutes to end Buckland Athletic’s ten-match unbeaten run with a 3-1 win. The hosts took the lead in the 32nd minute, before Buckland’s Craig Duff equalised five minutes from time, yet Brislington responded instantly by scoring twice late on. Melksham Town fought back from a goal-down on two occasions but could only draw 2-2 at home to Chipping Sodbury Town. Joe White capitalised on an under hit back-pass to give Sodbury the lead after half-an-hour, before Sam Jordan equalised on the stroke of half-time following a well-rehearsed free-kick routine. The visitors went ahead once more with around 20 minutes left to play with Benjamin Dowdell firing home, but they couldn’t hold on and Gary Higdon’s 24th league goal of the season made sure the points were shared.

Bridport suffered a 10th consecutive defeat, following a disastrous start to their clash with Cadbury Heath. The hosts found themselves 3-0 down after just 23 minutes, with Harry Paice scoring twice, and Simon McElroy once for Heath. Bridport grabbed a goal back with 17 minutes left on the clock through Mark Salter, before George Boon added a fourth for the visitors in injury-time. Hallen had to settle for a point in their clash with Shepton Mallet after relinquishing a two-goal advantage in their 2-2 draw. Things were going well for the hosts who were two-up at the break through Andy Cook and Mike Perham, but they couldn’t hold on to the crucial victory and saw Tyson Pollard and Harry Ritchie score for Mallet in their comeback.

First Division

Sam Parker scored four times in Malmesbury Victoria’s 6-0 win at home to Calne Town. In what was a comprehensive win for the hosts, the Vics were 5-0 up at the break to put the game beyond doubt, with Jon Bazley and Sam Jenner joining Parker on the scoresheet. Chard Town moved up to 6th in the table following an impressive 3-1 win away at Oldland Abbotonians. James Boyland and Luke Jackson scored within two minutes of one another to give the visitors a two-goal lead at the break, which they capitalised on to confirm the win with Bradley Miles’ goal 20 minutes from time. With none of their title rivals in action, Keynsham Town failed to take advantage as they were held to a 2-2 home draw with Radstock Town. Jake Roberts scored the only goal of the game as Devizes Town secured a 1-0 victory at home to Ashton & Backwell United. Chippenham Park’s fine form continued on Saturday, with an injury-time goal leading them to a 2-1 win over Roman Glass St George. The game was level following Ryan Tyrell’s penalty for the hosts, before Lewis McCarron struck in the third minute of stoppage time to give Park all three points.

Westbury Utd v Corsham Town
©John Cuthbertson
Wincanton Town came from behind twice to draw 2-2 against Warminster Town at Moor Lane, with the home side’s equalisers coming from Lewis Voizey and top scorer Conor Williams. Otis Young’s injury-time screamer saw Westbury United claim a 3-2 win at home to Corsham Town. United went ahead in the 18th minute thanks to Leon Greenland’s free-kick, before Corsham hit back at the start of the second half through Josh Bright. The hosts retook the lead moments later following a tap-in from George Bendle, with Corsham equalising once more through Joe Mason, before Young unleashed an unstoppable strike in added time to secure the win for Westbury. Almondsbury UWE scored twice in the last five minutes to come from behind and defeat Welton Rovers 4-3 for their second win on the bounce. Aaron Seviour scored twice in the to put Welton ahead, with Joe Black and Jordan Yeo scoring equalisers for the hosts in a frantic opening half-hour. Rovers then regained the lead just before the break though Joe Garland, and just as it looked like they would hold on for victory, Ashley Knight scored a diving header in the 86th minute to equalise, before Almondsbury completed the late salvo with an injury-time winner from Stuart Alexander. A brace from Courtney Charles, plus a goal from Omar Simpson saw Bishop Sutton defeat Bishops Lydeard 3-2 at Cothelstone Road for their third win in a row.


PDF Copy