5th March 2017
Number 31

Midweek Action

A first-half hat-trick from Matt Morris laid the foundations for Bradford Town’s 5-3 win over Brislington in the only Premier Division clash to take place in midweek. Morris scored twice in the opening ten minutes of the match, before turning provider soon after to allow Laurent Davis-Wilson to extend the lead to three. Morris was given the perfect opportunity to complete his hat-trick when the hosts were awarded a penalty, and after seeing his first effort saved, he managed to prod home the rebound to put the game beyond doubt at half-time. To their credit, Brislington fought back after the break, scoring through Neikell Plummer, Danny Barwood and Michael Rimmer to reduce the arrears somewhat, with Mark Wall firing home Bradford’s fifth midway through the half.

In the First Division, Stuart Windsor scored all five goals in Calne Town’s 5-2 win away at Corsham Town. Windsor completed his hat-trick in the first-half, before adding two more goals after the break to complete the terrific feat, with Craig Gingell and Craig Fulham scoring either side of the half for the visitors. Elsewhere on Wednesday evening, Roman Glass St George had four different scorers in their 4-3 victory over Bishops Lydeard at Cothelstone Road. Sam Wentland, Jason Burt, Scott Hendy and Ken Oni got on the scoresheet for the home side, with James Quick scoring twice, and Zac Ryder once in reply for Lydeard who’s six-match unbeaten run was brought to an end. In the other fixture, Martin Johnson scored the only goal of the game midway through the first half as Westbury United claimed a 1-0 victory away at Ashton & Backwell United.

Les Phillips Cup

Roman Glass St George caused an almighty shock in their second round tie, dumping out Premier Division pacesetters Bristol Manor Farm following a 1-0 win at Oaklands Park. Jacob Watson scored the only goal of the game in just the third minute as the First Division outfit booked their spot in the last eight.

Roman Glass St George v Bristol Manor Farm
©Keith Fussell
Buckland Athletic are also through to the quarter-finals, after goals from Lloyd Gardner and debutant Craig Duff scoring either side of half-time in their 2-1 win over Chipping Sodbury Town, with George Box scoring for the visitors. Goals from Liam Watson and Joe Morgan proved to be the difference as Shepton Mallet claimed a 2-0 win away at Ashton & Backwell United. In similar circumstances, first-half goals from Brett Worbey and Matt Dawson helped Willand Rovers move through to the next round thanks to a 2-0 win away at Westbury United. Cribbs showed why they are 30 points clear of their opponents with goals from James Derosa, Darren Edwards and Josh Jones plus a Mike Perham own-goal helping them defeat Hallen 4-1, while Melksham Town defeated Warminster Town 3-2.

Premier Division

Cadbury Heath took advantage of cup fixtures and postponements to move up to 10th in the league table following a 3-1 win over Sherborne Town. Matt Huxley scored the only goal of the first half to take his season tally to 39, before Cory Simpson doubled Cadbury’s lead just five minutes after the break. Ollie Pearson grabbed a goal back for Sherborne, yet it took less than five minutes for the visitors to restore their two-goal lead with Simpson scoring his second of the afternoon.

First Division

In what has to be the most stunning result of the season, bottom-side Almondsbury UWE claimed just their fourth league win of the campaign with a 9(nine)-2 victory away at Devizes Town. On an incredible afternoon for the green and whites, Stuart Alexander found the back of the net on four occasions, while there was also a hat-trick for Jordan Yeo adding to further goals from Jordan Davies and Ashley Knight.

Welton Rovers v Keynsham Town
©Mark Pile
Cheddar have moved into pole position following a 2-0 win away at Oldland Abbotonians, with Adam Jones and Danny Griffiths scoring for the Cheesemen after the break. At West Clewes, a hat-trick from Aaron Seviour handed Welton Rovers a shock 3-0 win over promotion-chasing Keynsham Town who suffered their 11th league defeat of the campaign. Wincanton Town came from a goal down to defeat Calne Town 2-1 at Bremhill View. Williams Boakes put the home side ahead in the 23rd minute, before goals after half-time from Tom Morris and Daniel Golden handed Wincanton all three points. Chard Town moved up into ninth thanks to a 5-2 home win against Corsham Town. Brad Miles handed the hosts a second-minute lead, before James Boyland doubled the advantage midway through the first half. Corsham then scored either side of half-time to level things up, before three goals in the final ten minutes from Boyland, Scott Jakeman and Scott Martin saw Chard extend their unbeaten home run to four matches. Courtney Charles responded to Alex Fox’s opener, before Jack Metcalf hit a 66th minute winner in Bishop Sutton’s 2-1 win at Portishead Town, while Radstock Town and Malmesbury Victoria drew 0-0.


PDF Copy