29th January 2017
Number 26

News From Around The League

Midweek Action: The one game to survive the freeze during midweek saw Bristol Manor Farm book their spot in the semi-final of the GFA Challenge Trophy thanks to a 3-1 win away at Lydney Town. The game which took place on Tuesday evening at Swan Road saw goals from Liam Farmer, Will Haliston and Peter Sheppard help secure Manor Farm’s passage through to the next round.

FA Vase: Buckland Athletic are through to the quarter-finals of the FA Vase following a thrilling 4-3 extra-time win away at Hinckley. The game didn’t start well for Buckland who were 2-0 down after just 11 minutes with Sam Agar scoring twice in quick succession for the hosts, but they fought back and were level by half-time thanks to goals from Lloyd Gardner and Gavin Hammon. Agar scored once again in the 65th minute to complete his hat-trick, but Buckland didn’t lie down and responded once more, with Gardner slotting home less than five minutes after they had fallen behind. The final 20 minutes couldn’t see the sides separated and after the game went to extra-time, a break down the right-hand side was finished off by Richard Groves to give Athletic a famous victory. There was no such luck for Bristol Manor Farm who were knocked out at the same stage, after falling to a 2-1 defeat at Bromsgrove Sporting despite a late goal from Troy Simpson.

Premier Division: Street claimed their fourth consecutive win in the league with a 5-0 triumph over Longwell Green Sports at Shellards Road. Steve Murray scored a hat-trick for the visitors, including two goals in the opening ten minutes of the game, with Dale Hunt and Craig Herrod also finding the back of the net or the Cobblers. Melksham Town also secured a 5-0 win, after they defeated ten-man Sherborne Town at the Oakfield Stadium. Sherborne made a poor start to the fixture, losing Lee Clark to a 12th minute red card, but they were resolute at the back which allowed them to head to half-time with the game still goalless. However, Melksham came out firing after the restart and following goals from Sam Jordan and Gary Higdon in the opening stages of the second stanza, further goals from Mike Perrott and Jake Hiscocks, as well as a late own goal saw Melksham ease to victory. Odd Down came out on top in a to-and-fro game, eventually defeating Clevedon Town 3-2. Having taken the lead through the in-form Ashley McGrane, the home side were behind midway through the second half after goals from Isaac Reid and Jake Harris. However it was then Clevedon’s turn to see their lead evaporate, with Simon Gilbert equalising from the spot, before Caelen Simpson grabbed a winner for the hosts five minutes into stoppage time, in what was just his second appearance for Odd Down. Cribbs also claimed all three points late in their fixture with Bradford Town, where they came from behind to win 2-1 at Trowbridge Road. After Daniel Cottle had given the hosts the lead during the first half, Cribbs fought back to equalise through Josh Jones, before last week’s hat-trick hero Darren Edwards popped up to claim an 89th minute winner. Shepton Mallet finally picked up a home win, with goals from James Billing, Joe Morgan and Ashley Willmott helping them to defeat Bitton 3-0. Chipping Sodbury Town hung on for all three points after almost relinquishing a four-goal lead in their 4-3 win over Wells City. The home side had built a strong lead, with a brace from Joe White and a Sam Jenkins goal adding to Sam Taylor’s opener giving them control with 30 minutes left. Wells fought back though, and having only failed to score in one of their league fixtures so far this season it was no surprise when they got on the scoresheet midway through the second half from the penalty spot. A close range header and a long distance shot cut the deficit to just one with five minutes left on the clock but they couldn’t force the equaliser and Sodbury held on to move up into 10th place in the table, jumping above of their opponents in the process.

First Division: Hengrove Athletic were the only team to start the day in the top eight who won in the First Division, with goals from Joe Brimble, Rhys Hickery, Asa White and Jack Fillingham helping them to a 4-0 win over Roman Glass St George. Table-topping Wellington dropped two points following a 0-0 draw at home to Devizes Town, yet Keynsham Town missed out on a chance to usurp their rivals into top spot after falling to a shock 2-0 defeat at home to Westbury United, who had Daniel Price and Otis Young to thank for their goals. Cheddar also failed to take advantage, after they could only muster a 1-1 draw against Calne Town. Having fallen behind to a first half strike from Mark Dolman, Cheddar were fortunate to equalise when Alex Hamilton diverted the ball into his own net and despite going close, the Cheesemen couldn’t force a late winner. In the game at the Southbank Ground, a Sam Skidmore goal helped Ashton & Backwell United claim a 1-0 win over Corsham Town who dropped down to 21st following the defeat. Chard Town scored late in the piece to grab a share of the points in their 1-1 draw with Chippenham Park. Having fallen behind to a goal from Chippenham’s Darrin Moss after half-time, Chard managed to salvage a point when Stephen Friend struck in injury time at the Dening Sports Field. Wincanton Town produced an excellent performance to defeat Malmesbury Victoria 5-0, with Connor Williams notching a hat-trick to add to further goals from Thomas Morris and Iwan Walters, while Portishead Town and Welton Rovers drew 0-0. The game at Cothelstone Road also ended in a draw, with Radstock Town coming from behind to grab a point against Bishops Lydeard. After the home side went ahead through Andy Butler ten minutes after the break, Radstock secured the 1-1 result when Simon Millard slotted home despite the best efforts of Lydeard’s keeper Nathan Whatley.


PDF Copy