11th December 2016
Number 20

News From Around The League

Midweek Action: On Tuesday evening, Wellington were knocked out of the Somerset Premier Cup by National League South outfit Bath City. After putting in an impressive first half performance which saw them behind by just one goal at the break, a hat-trick from Nick McCootie, plus goals from Chas Hemmings, Saikou Janneh and Josh Hutchinson meant Wellington were on the wrong end of a 7-0 defeat. In the GFA Challenge Trophy, Cribbs went down to a 3-1 defeat at Lydney Town, yet there was success in the competition for Cadbury Heath on Wednesday evening after they thumped Frampton United 6-0 behind braces for both Matthew Huxley and Simon McElroy. Sherborne Town are out of the Dorset FA Senior Cup after they were defeated 4-0 by Weymouth Town, while Bradford Town are through to the next round of the Wiltshire FA Senior Cup after goals from Dan Cottle and Mark Wall helped them see off Royal Wootton Bassett 2-0.

Premier Division: Bristol Manor Farm extended their lead at the top of the league to eight points following a 5-2 win against Longwell Green Sports at Shellards Road. Goals from Jake Cox and Jordan Metters as well as a hat-trick from Troy Simpson extended Manor Farm’s winning run to six matches in all competitions. There was also a hat-trick for Ashley McGrane in Odd Down’s 4-0 victory over bottom-side Hallen, while Braeden Symes went one better, scoring four times in Bridport’s 5-3 win at home against Willand Rovers. Street dropped to third in the league, after being on the wrong side of some late drama against Gillingham Town at Hardings Lane. Steve Murray’s 85th minute goal looked to have handed Street a crucial win, yet they couldn’t hang on, with Gillingham being awarded a penalty just moments later which Phil Ormrod converted for a share of the points. Melksham Town took advantage of Street’s slip, with goals from Luke Ballinger and Gary Higdon securing them a 2-0 win Bitton. Buckland Athletic kept up their impressive form in front of goal, claiming a 5-1 win over Sherborne Town at Homers Heath. Charlie Johansen and Lloyd Gardner scored for the home side in the first half, with Jared Lewington, Simon Revell and Lewis Perring continuing the scoring after the break in a rampant home win. A brace from Jake Brown, plus goals from Lee Pitman and Ryan Pledger saw Wells City claim an impressive 4-2 win over Clevedon Town, while goals in either half from Martin Lenihan and substitute Leon Greenland helped Bradford Town rise to fifth with a 2-0 triumph over Shepton Mallet.

First Division: Wellington have gone back to the top of the table following a 3-0 win at home against Corsham Town. The hosts made the perfect start, scoring in the second minute through Ian Bellinger, with Jack Bryant and Scott Drayton completing the victory. Keynsham Town were pushed down to second after suffering a 4-2 defeat away at Chard Town. Chard skipper Taoufik Bensalem scored a brace, adding to further goals from Kieran Bailey and Andrew Holmes as the home side moved into the top half of the table. Cheddar are now unbeaten in 13 matches following a comfortable 6-1 win over bottom-side Almondsbury UWE. Adam Jones claimed a hat-trick for the third-placed side, with Shaun Lambert, Callum Ham and an own-goal completing the scoring for the Cheesemen.

Ken Oni rescued a point for Roman Glass St George in their 1-1 draw with Westbury United, while Will Manning and Ollie Trevathen were on the scoresheet as Portishead Town claimed a 2-0 win away at Devizes Town. Ashton and Backwell United came out on top in a seven-goal thriller, defeating Welton Rovers 4-3 at West Clewes. Having relinquished a two-goal lead to find themselves level earlier in the tie, Ashton struck twice in the final half-hour through Miles Allen and Sam Skidmore to find themselves two-up once more, with Aaron Seviour’s second of the game proving to be nothing more than a consolation for Welton. Bishop Sutton scored three times in the space of eight second-half minutes to defeat Warminster Town 3-0. With the game deadlocked going into the final quarter, two goals in quick succession from Tom Pawley, and a penalty from Joey Walters handed the visitors all three points at Weymouth Street. James Rustell was instrumental, grabbing a goal and an assist in Radstock Town’s 3-0 win at home to Calne Town, while at Cothelstone Road, substitute Charlie Wilson scored twice in Bishops Lydeard 3-0 triumph over Chippenham Park. Krystian Hext scored the only goal of the game as Malmesbury Victoria pulled off an impressive 1-0 win away at Hengrove Athletic, while Wincanton Town notched seven for the second time in six league fixtures with a 7-0 victory over Oldland Abbotonians.


PDF Copy