26th November 2017
Number 18

Midweek Matches

In front of a three-figure crowd on Tuesday evening, Bridgwater Town extended their winning run in the Premier Division to four matches with a 3-1 triumph away at Longwell Green Sports. It took the visitors 42 minutes to break the deadlock through defender Lee Begg, before the bottom side got back on level terms in the opening minute of the second half. The lead was restored in the 63rd minute through Jack Taylor, and then in stoppage time the points were wrapped up thanks to a tap in from substitute Mark Armstrong. In the First Division, 167 fans were attendance at the Flying Monk Ground, where goals either side of half-time from Antony Brown and Scott Reynolds propelled Malmesbury Victoria to a 2-1 win at home to Calne Town. There was also a top-of-table clash at Crown Fields, where the division’s top two sides could not be split with Keynsham Town drawing 1-1 against Westbury United. Westbury took the lead inside two minutes, before Keynsham equalised on the half-hour through Matt Long to grab a share of the points. Chippenham Park cruised through to the third round of the Wiltshire Senior Cup, after a brace from Jamie Norman, as well as goals from Ryan Tyrell and Lewis McCarron helped them beat Pewsey Vale 4-1 at Hardenhuish Park.

On Wednesday, Clevedon Town moved into the top half of the Premier Division following a 4-2 win at home to Wellington. The game got off to a flying start, and after the hosts had gone two up inside seven minutes thanks to goals from Liam Dempsey and Clayton Fortune, Wellington halved the deficit through Ian Bellinger in just the tenth minute. Morgan Davies then restored Clevedon’s two-goal lead just after the half hour, before a late penalty from Ollie Barnes wrapped-up the win for the hosts ahead of Jack Bryant’s consolation strike. Meanwhile in the First Division, Roman Glass St George extended their unbeaten league run to seven matches with a thumping 6-0 win over Ashton & Backwell United. Rhys Hodgson was the star for the home side, bagging a hat-trick, while Sam Wentland added a brace and Ryan Radford also got in on the act.

Premier Division

Willand Rovers strong league form continued at Silver Street on Saturday, where they made it four wins, and four clean sheets on the bounce with a 3-0 victory at home to Longwell Green Sports. New signing Owen Howe set the hosts on their way, scoring twice in the opening 13 minutes, before Brad Ausden wrapped up the win late on. Another side who have rounded into good form of late are Bridgwater Town, with the Somerset side now having won seven on the bounce in all competitions. The latest was a 2-1 triumph at home to Chipping Sodbury Town, with goals from Tyne Govier and Harry Horton helping them overcome an early deficit following Lee Begg’s own goal in the fourth minute. Ahead of the chasing pack, Street continue to lead the way atop the league, with Steve Murray’s goal in first-half stoppage time leading them to a 1-0 win at home to Clevedon Town. At Norton Lane, Hengrove Athletic produced a second-half fightback to defeat Buckland Athletic 2-1. A stooping header from top scorer Jared Lewington put Buckland on the half hour, before Hengrove came from behind to win after the break following goals from Jack Fillingham and Rhys Hickery. In a game which went with the form guide, two goals from Sam Jordan were followed by strikes from Will Haliston and Alex Monks as Bradford Town claimed a 4-0 win away at Hallen. Wellington moved up to 17th in the table, after a double from Sam Towler, plus goals from Kai Fisher and Glen Wright led them to a 4-2 win at home to Cadbury Heath. At the Oakfields, Jake Slocombe put the away side ahead inside the first minute, before Jake Brown responded four minutes later during Melksham Town’s 1-1 draw with Cribbs. In Bath, Bridport held off a late fightback from Odd Down to claim a 3-2 win at the Lew Hill Memorial Ground. Mark Salter scored the only goal of the first-half for the visitors, before Declan Cornish and Richard Hebditch scored in quick succession to seemingly put the result beyond doubt. Odd Down then brought both James Dunn and Kye Simpson off of the bench, and both players scored in the final minutes but the home side were unable to force home a third. Bitton were another to secure a 3-2 win away from home, with the seventh placed Shepton Mallet coming unstuck. Bitton made a flying start, and after Scott Brice had headed them ahead within 30 seconds, Joe McClennan fired home a left-footed stunner from 25 yards to double their advantage in the 10th minute. Shepton then gained a foothold in the game thanks to a headed finish from their captain James Billing, but Bitton were soon two goals ahead once again when Tom Knighton converted his effort from the spot. The home side did their best to gain something from the game, and after Joe Morgan scored seven minutes from time they had hope but Bitton managed to hold out for the three points. Four goals before the break helped Brislington claim a comprehensive 5-1 victory away at ten-man Wells City. With Brislington ahead in the 8th minute through Oaklan Buck, they were given another boost when Wayne Knowles was dismissed for a poorly timed tackle. The away side took advantage instantly, and scored three more goals before the break with Lewis Britton, Jason Hughes and Liam Planter all getting on the scoresheet. Britton then headed home a fifth during a quiet second-half, before James Bayliss scored a late consolation for Wells who had come into this game riding a three-game winning streak.

First Division

Calne Town v Wincanton Town
©Dave Gillett
New league leaders Keynsham Town maintained their streak of scoring in every league fixture this season, thanks to a thumping 7-2 victory at home to Warminster Town. Matt Brown scored twice before half-time for the K’s, before Kyle Box and Craig Wilson also added braces after the break during the comprehensive win. After scoring a hat-trick in the same fixture last season, Callum Ham was the star once again for Cheddar, scoring both goals during their 2-0 win away at Westbury United, with the second goal fired home from well outside the area. Roman Glass St George followed up 5-2, and 6-0 victories earlier in the week by claiming a 3-0 win at home to Welton Rovers to climb up to third in the league. Ken Oni headed the hosts ahead prior to half-time, before the same man doubled his tally late on ahead of Ben Harvey’s third in stoppage time. Malmesbury Victoria produced the fightback of the day, overturning a 2-0 half-time deficit to defeat Sherborne Town 4-2 at the Flying Monk Ground. The visitors, who have been struggling for points, but not goals of late found themselves two goals ahead inside 22 minutes thanks to efforts from Marc Caines and Same Farthing. Unfortunately for Sherborne, they have also been conceding a fair few goals, and that came back to bite them on Saturday, when Jamie Packer and George Peare added to a double from Matt Jenkins in Malmesbury’s comeback win. Ashton & Backwell United secured a much needed victory at the Lancer Scott Stadium, with Jordan Coombes and Connor Saunders both finding the back of the net in their 2-0 triumph at home to Bristol Telephones. There was also a home win for Bishops Lydeard, who defeated Chippenham Park 2-1 thanks to goals either side of half-time from Charlie Wilson and James Quick, with Ben Pring heading a late consolation for the visitors. Two goals in the space of six second-half minutes from James Boyland and Max Westlake helped Chard Town leapfrog opponents Almondsbury in the league table following a 2-0 win. Lowly Portishead Town suffered another home defeat, after goals from Robbie Tripp and Ben Wickens led Corsham Town to a 2-1 win at Bristol Road either side of Rob Latham’s equaliser. Calne Town and Wincanton Town shared the spoils, after Billy Gleed scored for the hosts, and Matt Morley for the visitors during the sides’ 1-1 draw at Bremhill View. In a mid-table battle, one goal during the second half was the difference between the sides as Bishop Sutton claimed a 1-0 win at home to Devizes Town.


PDF Copy