19th November 2017
Number 17

Midweek Matches

On Tuesday evening, a first half penalty from James Rustell led Radstock Town to a 1-0 win over Bishop Sutton, helping them move up to second spot in the First Division. There was also action in the Wiltshire FA Senior Cup where a late goal from Joe Stradling wasn't enough for Melksham Town, who fell to a 2-1 defeat at Chippenham Town. Calne Town also fell to defeat in that competition, losing 3-0 at home to Bemerton Heath Harlequins, but there was success for Welton Rovers in the Somerset FA Premier Cup as they defeated Larkhall Athletic 5-3 after extra-time. Two goals from Shak Green had them level heading into the final six minutes of normal-time, but they then fell behind to a brilliant finish from Larkhall's Greg Peel. Two minutes into second-half stoppage time, Welton kept their cup hopes alive with Francois Allen curling the ball beyond the Larkhall keeper. In extra-time, Welton took advantage of their opponents being reduced to ten men, and qualified for the next round in dramatic fashion with Aaron Seviour scoring in either half of the extra 30 minute period. On Wednesday, Westbury United came out on top in an entertaining encounter with Bradford Town in the Wiltshire Senior Cup, eventually prevailing 3-2 after extra-time. It was goals from Steve Hulbert, Mark Robinson and Jordan Pinder which fired the First Division leaders through to the next round after a late goal from Bradford's Will Haliston had sent the game to extra-time.

Les Phillips Cup

Ashton & Backwell v Shepton Mallet
©Haydn Jones
The first round of the Les Phillips Cup got underway on Friday night, with extra-time needed during Street's 3-2 win over Bradford Town. Two goals in first-half stoppage time from Steve Murray gave Street control, before the ten men of Bradford fought back to draw level through a late brace from Martin Lenihan. With late goals coming at the end of either it was no surprise that Street's winner coming in the 119th minute, with Harry Foster flicking the ball home following a cross from Josh Wadham. In the most impressive individual performance during Saturday's games, Charlie Wilson grabbed four goals in Bishops Lydeard's 5-2 win at home to Portishead Town. Wilson scored twice in either half during the big win, with James Quick also getting in on the act late in the piece. At Homers Heath, Richard Groves scored twice in the final ten minutes, including one from the spot, as his Buckland Athletic side claimed a 2-0 victory at home to Corsham Town. There was also a brace from Matty Mead in Chippenham Park's 2-0 win away at Oldland Abbotonians, while goals from Mike Perrott and Joe Stradling handed Melksham Town a spot in the next round following a 2-0 win against Odd Down. Jack Taylor's double, plus further goals from Steve Holland and Jake Llewellyn led Bridgwater Town to an elementary 4-0 win at home to Chipping Sodbury Town, and at Stockwood Lane, Jack Hopper scored twice during Devizes Town's 3-1 triumph over Bristol Telephones. After the game ended goalless following 90 minutes, a trio of extra-time goals from Kieran Bailey, Steve Friend and James Boyland saw Chard Town claim a 3-0 win away at Cadbury Heath. Joe Morgan, Conrad Peck and Harry Ratcliffe were Shepton Mallet's three goalscorers during their 3-1 victory over Ashton & Backwell United, and at Weymouth Street, strikes from Kevin Shinn and Reece Collyer saw Warminster Town defeat Cheddar 2-1. In the game at St Mary's Field, goals either side of half-time from Richard Hebditch and Mark Salter led Bridport to a 2-1 win over Willand Rovers, and Cribbs defeated Clevedon Town by the same scoreline following a stoppage time winner from Dan Dyke. Matt Tovey was another player to score a late winner, plundering the fifth goal of the game five minutes from time during Bitton's 3-2 victory away at Almondsbury. First Division leaders Westbury United suffered a heavy defeat, with two goals from Kai Fisher, plus further strikes from Jack Bryant and Joe Chamberlain handing Wellington a big 4-0 win. Brislington romped to a 4-1 win at home to Sherborne Town in their game at Ironmould Lane. Mike Rimmer put them ahead in the 16th minute, with Oaklan Buck then adding a double in the build-up to half-time before Louis Britton wrapped up the win late on. In a repeat result from last week's league tie, goals from James Bayliss and Liam Davies saw Wells City come from behind to beat Hallen 2-1 after Kye Mountford's opener for the hosts.

First Division

Malmesbury Victoria goalkeeper Adam Clatworthy was among the goalscorers during his sides 3-3 draw with Keynsham Town at the Flying Monk Ground. Goals from Matt Curnock and Craig Wilson had put Keynsham ahead after Jamie Packer's opener for the hosts, before Clatworthy scored from long distance with the visiting defence allowing his ball up field to bounce over their heads, and over the opposing keeper into the Keynsham net. Wilson then struck again to regain the lead for the away side, but they were unable to hang on, with Matty Jenkins scoring a late equaliser for the Vics. There was a seven-goal thriller at the Bremhill View, where Calne Town overcame an early two-goal deficit to defeat Radstock Town 4-3. Two penalties, both dispatched by James Rustell gave Radstock the early advantage, but Calne found themselves back in the game quickly through Alex Lewis. After half-time, the home side took control of the fixture, adding three further goals through Rory Worthington, Max Wyatt and Billy Gleed before Radstock struck a late consolation. At Lakeview, Roman Glass St George scored twice before the break, and three times after half-time during their 5-2 victory away at Bishop Sutton.


PDF Copy