20th August 2017
Number 4

Midweek Matches

Melksham Town tasted victory for the second Monday on the bounce, defeating Odd Down 3-0. A tight Premier Division affair turned dramatically midway through the second-half when Kane Simpson was given his marching orders and Melksham took advantage of the extra man instantly thanks to the prolific Gary Higdon. After plundering 28 league goals last season, Higdon has already taken his season tally to six in three games this time around with a nine-minute hat-trick to single-handedly end Odd Down’s unbeaten start.

Melksham Town v Odd Down
©John Cuthbertson

The following evening, Bradford Town claimed their third straight win too, thanks to a 5-0 thrashing of Longwell Green Sports. Dan Cottle got the scoring underway in the 19th minute, before Martin Lenihan doubled the advantage ten minutes later. Nathan Loader and Anthony Conradi both scored either side of the hour mark to put the result beyond doubt, before Karim Rendall added a fifth in injury time. Charlie Johansen maintained his strong start to the season, scoring the only goal in Buckland Athletic’s 1-0 win over Shepton Mallet, while Craig Herrod scored twice and Steve Murray once in Street’s 3-0 derby victory against Bridgwater Town. Wells City claimed their first three points of the season, with goals from Ben Harris and Ross Padfield helping them defeat Wellington 2-1, and at The Lawns, Ben Dowdell notched a brace in Cribbs’ 3-0 win over Cadbury Heath. Goals from Daniel Clement, Steven Fitzpatrick and Jake Thomas fired Chipping Sodbury Town to a 3-1 away win over Bitton, while Tyler Davis scored just after the hour mark to salvage a 1-1 draw for Hallen against Brislington who had taken the lead through Aaron Cornwall. On Wednesday, Luke Alden scored either side of the break in Willand Rovers 5-1 win away at Bridport, while Hengrove Athletic and Clevedon Town drew 0-0.

In the First Division, Bristol Telephones kept up their perfect record with a 4-1 win away at Almondsbury. Lee Pitman and James Batch each scored doubles for the victors, with Almondsbury still searching for their first point of the season. Devizes Town remain unbeaten after goals from Rob Mitchell and Tom Slater helped them see off Warminster Town in a 2-0 win, while a solitary strike from James Rustell saw Radstock Town edge to a 1-0 win over Sherborne Town. Kieran Jones scored in either half as Malmesbury Victoria defeated Chippenham Park 3-0, handing the away side their first defeat of the campaign in the process. Matthew Brown also scored twice, adding to goals from Kyle Box and Craig Wilson in Keynsham Town’s 4-2 win over Portishead Town, with Corsham Town claiming their first point following a 0-0 draw against Westbury United. Goals from Josh Dakwa and Sam Downes helped Bishop Sutton come from behind to win 2-1 away at Wincanton Town, while Calne Town recovered from a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with Oldland Abbotonians thanks to strikes from Billy Gleed and Mark Dolman. There was also a 2-2 draw at Bowdens Park, where Tom Smith scored deep into stoppage as Welton Rovers denied Cheddar their first league win of the season. In Wednesday night’s fixture, all the major action took place after the break in Chard Town’s 2-2 draw with Roman Glass St George. Sam Wentland put the Saints ahead soon after half-time, but before long they were behind with Max Westlake and Steve Friend scoring a quick-fire double for the hosts. Those goals looked to have wrapped up the win, but Roman Glass had other ideas, and in the second minute of stoppage time they secured a point with Joe Swift converting from the penalty spot.

FA Cup

Willand Rovers are through to the next round of England’s biggest cup competition thanks to a 2-1 win over last year’s Western League champions, Bristol Manor Farm. Willand were ahead after just three minutes thanks to Brad Ausden’s second goal in as many matches, but saw their late disappear in the opening minutes of the second half when Troy Simpson equalised for the visitors. Just as it looked as though a replay would be needed, a calamitous mistake in the Manor Farm defence allowed Willand to snatch victory with Luke Mortimore rolling the ball into the empty net. Odd Down were another to beat higher ranked opposition, with Asa White scoring the only goal of the game in their 1-0 win over Mangotsfield United. Steve Holland’s ninth minute strike helped Bridgwater Town see off Brislington in a 1-0 victory, while a brace from Mark Salter plus an injury-time strike from Declan Cornish saw Bridport defeat Street 3-1. On a disappointing afternoon for Wells City, doubles from Craig Duff, Ryan Turner and Billy Tucker saw them unceremoniously dumped out of the competition following a 6-0 defeat away at Bideford. Clevedon Town were also knocked out following a 1-0 loss at Barnstaple Town, with Hengrove Athletic’s run also over thanks to a 4-1 home defeat Buckland’s conquerors, Bodmin Town. Justin Bishop’s second half goal wasn’t enough for Chipping Sodbury Town who fell to a 3-1 defeat against Bishops Cleeve, but there was joy for Cadbury Heath who saw off the challenge of Yate Town thanks to Sacha Tong’s 51st minute header.

Premier Division

In a reduced league program, two goals from Joe Morgan led Shepton Mallet to 2-1 win at home to Wellington, while at Trowbridge Road, there was a goalless draw between Bradford Town and Bitton.

First Division

Bristol Telephones remain the only side with a 100% record, after defeating Welton Rovers 2-1 at West Clewes. It was the home side who went ahead just before the break, with Alex Chapman converting a penalty after Joe Battrick had been felled in the area. No sooner had the game kicked off, and the league leaders were back on level terms with Michael Grist converting a penalty of their own ending a frantic few moments at the end of the first half. There was just one goal after the break, and it belonged to Leon Britton who headed home to make it four from four for the Phones this season. Jack Miluk’s fourth goal of the campaign was followed soon after by George Butler’s first as Warminster Town got back to winning ways thanks to a 2-0 triumph at home to Portishead Town. At the other end of the table, Almondsbury picked up their first points of the season following a 4-1 thumping of Devizes Town. Alex Bisp scored twice for Neil Bailey’s side, with Marley Walters and Jack Dempsey also getting themselves on the scoresheet. In the game of the day, Oldland Abbotonians left it late before claiming a 3-2 win away at Sherborne Town. The hosts had taken the lead just before half-time through Henry Vanderville, only for Oldland to hit back and move ahead thanks to a pair of goals either side of the hour mark from Luke Lecrass and Josh Williams. Sherborne managed to get back on level terms thanks to substitute Jon Delahaye, but that wasn’t the end of the scoring and Oldland grabbed all three points when Tayako Nembhard found space for a stoppage time winner. Westbury United remain unbeaten this season, after Joe Kirkpatrick’s goal handed them a 1-0 win away at Bishops Lydeard, while Radstock Town and Calne Town drew 1-1 at the Southfields Rec with James Rustell scoring for the hosts, and Billy Gleed for the away side. Cheddar claimed their first win of the season, as Sam King’s 4th minute strike helped them see off Roman Glass St George, with Corsham Town also winning 1-0 against Ashton & Backwell United thanks to a 69th minute penalty from Leigh Rogers. Bishop Sutton picked up their second win of the week, with goals from Nathan Rendell, Mason Dagger and Chris Hind helping them come from behind to beat Keynsham Town 3-1. Elsewhere, there was a 1-1 draw between Wincanton Town and Chippenham Park, while Malmesbury Victoria defeated Chard Town 1-0.


PDF Copy